AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

I can go and watch a game of Div 6 amateur reserves footy and enjoy it, have a beer or two, good afternoon.

But if I watch anything even one tier down from absolute top grade Eurpoean league football (soccer) and I'm bored out of my brain. No matter how many beers.

Good crowd?

Only 23k. Would have thought they would be hoping for 30k, but the top decks of the Western and Riverbank stands were closed anyway so nobody was expecting a full house.

Really?

The way people were talking I thought it must have been a scoreless draw

First half was pretty bad, both teams playing their first hit out for the preseason and kept giving the ball away, also having trouble with a super slick deck due to the rain and short cut grass. Second half was more fluid and entertaining to watch, even if they picked apart the United defence pretty easily too often.

5961C654-49D2-4CDF-AF40-9008318CE4A3_zpslr3hdg8k.jpg

23,000 with about 15-16k in the East.

Views were pretty dreadful in most parts of the ground, which I probably should have expected.

Sat in the North and west for a bit but was mostly up the top of the East. Good spot there, but again you are a fair way away from the action.

Quite incredible how large Aussie rules grounds are when they play other codes on that playing field. The soccer pitch looks tiny at AO but then youth think about it and pretty much all football codes have a very similar playing size.

I've watched a game from the top tier of The Emirates, not exactly close to the action there either. It's decent for the odd marquee game that Hindmarsh isn't big enough to properly host, but it's not going full time any time soon.

At least there the playing field isn't 30m from the edge of the stand.

I'm happy for a few blockbusters, the Victory game for example, but not any more.

After last night I can kind of understand how Australia got 1 vote for the 2022 World Cup. These ovals are just terrible for viewing football (soccer)
That and we aren't quite as rich or good at being corrupt....

But I do agree, will be interesting to see what the Victory game is like with a real atmosphere and 30K plus crowd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more practice thats for sure.

Only 23k. Would have thought they would be hoping for 30k, but the top decks of the Western and Riverbank stands were closed anyway so nobody was expecting a full house.

Probably would have been more if the game was organised sooner than what it was. Only had 3-4 weeks lead in

I can go and watch a game of Div 6 amateur reserves footy and enjoy it, have a beer or two, good afternoon.

But if I watch anything even one tier down from absolute top grade Eurpoean league football (soccer) and I'm bored out of my brain. No matter how many beers.

x1000

Its funny isn't it. I enjoy watching the Ammo's play but I wouldn't cross the road to see Adelaide United play. I watched a few games in the World Cup and sort of enjoyed them but that will probably do me for another 4 years.

Yeah agree worth all that mate.
But I have very little emotionally invested in united and still couldnt appreciate malgas clear skill and professionalism difference.
I do want to give it a go at hindmarsh but just can't very into the game. Almost as bad as baseball.
At least there the playing field isn't 30m from the edge of the stand.

I'm happy for a few blockbusters, the Victory game for example, but not any more.
I didn't go last night. I've only been to a couple of United games live ever, but Hindmarsh is a great stadium for that club. Like Adelaide Arena is for the 36ers, they're just the right size, and you're just so close to the action.

I couldn't believe how close the play is at Hindmarsh the first time I went.

I'm the complete opposite with soccer. I hardly miss seeing any Adelaide United games (mostly on tellie), because I feel some sort of connection and local pride with them. I really struggle to watch a random EPL game because I just don't care about the result.

Speaking of results, knowing the score in a soccer game is a deal breaker for me. If I know the score, forget it. will not watch.

After last nights crowd of 23000 in the middle of winter I think the Reds will definitely get 40,000 on October 17th vs Melb Victory.

It was a good idea to only open up the top deck of the Eastern stand as it really kept the atmosphere in.

I didn't go last night. I've only been to a couple of United games live ever, but Hindmarsh is a great stadium for that club. Like Adelaide Arena is for the 36ers, they're just the right size, and you're just so close to the action.

I couldn't believe how close the play is at Hindmarsh the first time I went.

First went there for rugby, great view but lacking in in goal length. Reminds me of the one way road that needed to be fixed.

I'm the complete opposite with soccer. I hardly miss seeing any Adelaide United games (mostly on tellie), because I feel some sort of connection and local pride with them. I really struggle to watch a random EPL game because I just don't care about the result.

I have the local pride I just can't watch too often, I just can't get into it spent a year as a member trying to find an interest.

Speaking of results, knowing the score in a soccer game is a deal breaker for me. If I know the score, forget it. will not watch.

Fairly well describes most games for me, I have been watching the replays at the watering hole after the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back