AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our home ground is s**t.
Chapman to ensure our stadium deal is not mediocre or he GTFA

Spot on. Him and Fagan have been very outspoken.

Stadium deal is s**t. Having no facilities for the members to go back to is s**t.

Bit rich Jay Weatherill is "on-side", its because of him and his Labour mates we are stuck with this SMA abortion of a setup.

Actually, it began with the SA Liberals promising a new stadium they couldn't even hope to finance, let alone have any real details for when they announced. The ALP had to come up with a different plan in response because we, the public, started making the polls look like we'd rather have a stadium than a desperately needed new hospital.

Politics. It's our fault.

The SMA abortion is purely a Labour balls up, very long bow to try and blame the Libs for that especially as you said the Libs didn't have plans for the ground let alone how it would be managed.

Control should not have been given to the SACA and SANFL, an independant body/board should have run it and distributed the income to all parties.

The SMA abortion is purely a Labour balls up, very long bow to try and blame the Libs for that especially as you said the Libs didn't have plans for the ground let alone how it would be managed.

Control should not have been given to the SACA and SANFL, an independant body/board should have run it and distributed the income to all parties.

That didn't really work out well at Etihad...

That didn't really work out well at Etihad...

Way different, the company who built Etihad need to make a return on their investment, the AFL don't own it yet.

Here at AO the tax payer funded the redevelopment, Labour then gave it to the SMA (SACA & SANFL) to take as much as they wanted and give the AFL clubs as little as they can get away with.

Way different, the company who built Etihad need to make a return on their investment, the AFL don't own it yet.

Here at AO the tax payer funded the redevelopment, Labour then gave it to the SMA (SACA & SANFL) to take as much as they wanted and give the AFL clubs as little as they can get away with.
And that's how it was always going to be, regardless of politics, regardless of who was in North Tce. We all moved in there bitching about the SANFL and only the severely deluded would have expected any better from a) the SACA, b) SACA/SANFL Frankenstein or c) a private company out for their own returns.

Last edited:
An amazing day today, yes my Redlegs Won, but what a crowd, to get a crowd of 38,644 was brilliant for an SANFL Grand Final.

The atmosphere was electric even though it was 70%-30% in favour of Norwood fans.

What a way to finish the first football season at the Adelaide Oval - the best stadium in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to see it long term.

The AFL wanted to reduce the SANFL's influence in SA.

Step 1 Move to an oval not fully owned by the SANFL and use the new contract as a tool to buy back licenses from the SANFL.

Step 2 Bitch and moan to marginally improve terms and conditions of original contract. Not too different to what happened at Etihad so far.

Step 3 Once contract expires grab nuts and squeeze as hard as possible. Different to Etihad as the AFL gets to own that stadium.

I have concerns step 3 will never eventuate, given the AFL really have nothing to threaten with. They can't move AFC and PAFC anywhere, they have the power but cannot deregister the Clubs from the comp. They've invested too heavily in the AO move, they are stuck with it now and will just leave the CLub to their own devices and hope that neither of them go broke in the process.

I have concerns step 3 will never eventuate, given the AFL really have nothing to threaten with. They can't move AFC and PAFC anywhere, they have the power but cannot deregister the Clubs from the comp. They've invested too heavily in the AO move, they are stuck with it now and will just leave the CLub to their own devices and hope that neither of them go broke in the process.
They are talking about moving some games back to suburban ground in Melbourne and who knows in 15 years time the AFL may threaten to play a reduced number of games at AO. Then there is the unfavourable timeslots and low drawing opponents, one Showdown per year instead of 2, all done at the same time as guaranteeing financial support to the clubs. Reduced or minimal funding for state leagues and junior development and more. They will have cards to play but its just a bit hard to predict this far out.

I was at the MCG on Saturday night and I have to say from a pure spectators perspective, the AO is better than the MCG. I bought Cat 2 tickets on the forward flank in the Olympic stand and couldn't see the pocket in front of me and it just got worse when people in front would stand up in anticipation. I've sat in similar positions at Adelaide Oval and been fine. It has a far better incline on it.

I love the G for it's history and it's size means great blockbuster games can be held there but we have something truly special at AO, folks:thumbsu:.

They are talking about moving some games back to suburban ground in Melbourne and who knows in 15 years time the AFL may threaten to play a reduced number of games at AO. Then there is the unfavourable timeslots and low drawing opponents, one Showdown per year instead of 2, all done at the same time as guaranteeing financial support to the clubs. Reduced or minimal funding for state leagues and junior development and more. They will have cards to play but its just a bit hard to predict this far out.
They should've been doing this for years with the Dogs, Roos, Saints etc .. Suburban Ovals which hold 15-20k which are full look so much better on TV than a 1/4 full Etihad.

They should've been doing this for years with the Dogs, Roos, Saints etc .. Suburban Ovals which hold 15-20k which are full look so much better on TV than a 1/4 full Etihad.
Yeah but Etihad has to be paid for.

I was at the MCG on Saturday night and I have to say from a pure spectators perspective, the AO is better than the MCG. I bought Cat 2 tickets on the forward flank in the Olympic stand and couldn't see the pocket in front of me and it just got worse when people in front would stand up in anticipation. I've sat in similar positions at Adelaide Oval and been fine. It has a far better incline on it.

I love the G for it's history and it's size means great blockbuster games can be held there but we have something truly special at AO, folks:thumbsu:.
There's parts of Docklands where you struggle to see the goal square.

Hoping the SMA consider this for 2015.

View attachment 84830

Is that a swimming pool?

The Arizona Diamondbacks have the same thing.

dbacks-poolpg-vertical.jpg

Pool_display_image.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back