AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone on here more versed in civil engineering would probably be able to explain better why there is nothing wrong with the bridge and the bridge is merely functioning how bridges function.

Already done, I have several CivEng friends and a CivEng brother who works for the mob that built the bridge, albeit in a different unit.

That's why people are still complaining and now calling it NTR's bridge ;)

The bridge width doesn't matter. If it was 5 metres wider it wouldn't matter at all. The congestion is at the entrance and when you have 10-20 thousand people all trying to push through onto the bridge it causes delays.

Someone on here more versed in civil engineering would probably be able to explain better why there is nothing wrong with the bridge and the bridge is merely functioning how bridges function.
what?
Simple maths/physics/common sense says bridge width is critical. Imagine if it was only 1 person wide then imagine if it was 50m wide. Bridge width is absolutely critical. It will only ever be as quick as the slowest point (middle of the bridge is narrowest I believe)

Saw a couple of great photos

Great photos is an understatement. They are epic. Simply brilliant.

what?
Simple maths/physics/common sense says bridge width is critical. Imagine if it was only 1 person wide then imagine if it was 50m wide. Bridge width is absolutely critical. It will only ever be as quick as the slowest point (middle of the bridge is narrowest I believe)

The bridge is the same width the whole way across, and you're right, but the bridge is not the only component of the system, and there needs to be a balance between cost and maximum capacity - a 50m wide bridge would handle the maximum post game crowd, but it a massive waste of money when that critical period only exists for half an hour of one day a week for 30 weeks a year at most.

Traffic studies were done, and they reached this conclusion. The people crossing will eventually be reduced when they extend the tram line to the front door, but that will take another two years at least.

Mate, I just cant tell you how good it sounded. It was unbelievable. The chords were crystal clear. I was about mid way on the grass and the sound was amazing. Would love to know what it was like in the back rows of the Southern stand.

The bridge is the same width the whole way across, and you're right, but the bridge is not the only component of the system, and there needs to be a balance between cost and maximum capacity - a 50m wide bridge would handle the maximum post game crowd, but it a massive waste of money when that critical period only exists for half an hour of one day a week for 30 weeks a year at most.

Traffic studies were done, and they reached this conclusion. The people crossing will eventually be reduced when they extend the tram line to the front door, but that will take another two years at least.
Yeah I'm not really saying what should be done, just that saying the bridge width doesn't matter is wrong.

Is there somewhere north of the Adelaide Oval they can build a 5 level car park?

between Adelaide Oval and Ward Street would be the ideal location and then they can use it during the week for public parking?

The bottle neck on the bridge won't improve until they have 50% of that walking traffic head the other way.

Mate, I just cant tell you how good it sounded. It was unbelievable. The chords were crystal clear. I was about mid way on the grass and the sound was amazing. Would love to know what it was like in the back rows of the Southern stand.

The sound was great in the bottom tier of the Fos Williams stand as well. Far better than the sound at the foo fighters at a partially done AO and Bon Jovi at Footy Park. Not even close. How good was 'gimme shelter'. The crowd was already buzzing but that song took it to another level. Magic.

The sound was great in the bottom tier of the Fos Williams stand as well. Far better than the sound at the foo fighters at a partially done AO and Bon Jovi at Footy Park. Not even close. How good was 'gimme shelter'. The crowd was already buzzing but that song took it to another level. Magic.

I said in the other thread that "Gimme Shelter" was the best song I have ever heard played live. Wow, how good was the female singer. Not normally a fan of arena concerts as they can be quite stale but the sound last night was awesome. How good must it be to see them in a small club when they used to play ad hoc gigs before a big tour.

I said in the other thread that "Gimme Shelter" was the best song I have ever heard played live. Wow, how good was the female singer. Not normally a fan of arena concerts as they can be quite stale but the sound last night was awesome. How good must it be to see them in a small club when they used to play ad hoc gigs before a big tour.

When she strode down the stage extension and launched into it was just crazy. Great great voice. The right song at small capacity gig can be other-worldly but the crowd buzz of that song at AO will take some beating for me. Feel lucky to have heard it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've heard from a few people that the Foos gig at the old Oval had horrendous sound. Obviously a few changes since then.

The FF and Bon Jovi were the two worst ive experienced. The crowd singing along with Bon Jovi alleviated it a bit but the FF sound was terrible where we sat. You take the good with the bad tho and last night was definitely good.

Sound was great, we sat second row level 3 right in the middle of the Riverbank stand. Great seats first time I had sat in level 3, bloody terrible to get a drink. The two bars at either end of the function room had their lines meet in the middle.

Sound was great, we sat second row level 3 right in the middle of the Riverbank stand. Great seats first time I had sat in level 3, bloody terrible to get a drink. The two bars at either end of the function room had their lines meet in the middle.

yeah thats the only down side, the catering is deplorable at the AO as it is at the MCG. What was the crowd like where you were?

Do they need to put some food/drink tents out the back of the Western stand for footy games and concerts like they do for the cricket? They need to do something about the lineups.

Do they need to put some food/drink tents out the back of the Western stand for footy games and concerts like they do for the cricket? They need to do something about the lineups.

The guy seated in front of me commented that there was only one person pouring and five people standing around at the bar he went to for his 30minute wait for a beer.

Definitely. It's takes far too long to get a drink. They need to have the beers prepoured like the MCG.

Are the rumours true that patrons are not allowed to take an esky to the Test or One Day internationals match anymore?

That's crap if true.

Terrible idea by the SMA.

Are the rumours true that patrons are not allowed to take an esky to the Test or One Day internationals match anymore?

That's crap if true.

Terrible idea by the SMA.

That's been true for nearly 10 years, I think I was still at university when they first brought in that ban. Only thing you can bring in is a softpack freezer bag style thing with non-alcoholic drinks.

That's been true for nearly 10 years, I think I was still at university when they first brought in that ban. Only thing you can bring in is a softpack freezer bag style thing with non-alcoholic drinks.

I guess that shows how long it's been since I've been to a test match.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back