AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth noting that a charge for transport has been included in the price of our tickets for a while now, so it's interesting that people are now complaining.

User pays is a good idea, but totally impractical. It would be impossible for everyone to pay as they get on the bus. The idea of purchasing a season bus pass sounds good, but probably would be time consuming having everyone stop and swipe. Also, imagine a walk-up fan hopping on the bus, not knowing about the pass, and expecting to pay cash. Again, holding up travelling time.

I've caught the Footy Express (O'Bahn) this year for the first time in ages, and didn't like it. Crammed in like sardines, taking more than 20 minutes to get from the top of North Terrace to King William Street on Thursday and Friday night games, getting soaked waiting for the return bus while waiting until the transit people would allow us to get on empty buses. Luckily my daughter was living in MacKinnon Parade for a while, and I parked at her place for the last few games of the season. It was brilliant. Quick run in and out, plus a nice 15 minute walk through the parklands. Such a shame she's moved now, and I'm back to the buses next year. :(

It was great catching the train this year, it made the whole game day experience all the more fun. I have been going to our games since we started in 1991 and had never caught the bus there. The main thing I did was for most games was to avoid the bridge, I only went on it twice after games at the end of the season to see what it was like, the rest of the time I walked up to King William street and walked past Elder Park to the train station thru the Festival Centre, so much easier and quicker.

I drove in only for the Thursday night and Friday night game as I work near the city and parked near the Calvary Hospital and Golf Course in North Adelaide, as there is unlimited free parking there and just walked the Km to the stadium. I have to admit it is very weird walking that way after the game as there is virtually no one that goes that way, its like I was the only one around. Compare that to the Southern gate and bridge crush, its like chalk and cheese!

I also waited about 15 minutes after the game and stayed in the ground (normally up in my seat in the Eastern stand) as this also made it quicker to get out, another tip I had was to avoid the escalators at all costs and take the stairs. (I don’t get why as soon as the siren goes why everyone wants to get out of the ground as soon as possible). My Dad, would leave straight away and a couple of times (with me leaving 15 mins later), I actually caught up to him at the train station!
The government has stats to say that at Footy Park last year, there was around 2500 people that caught the bus each game and this year at Adelaide Oval there were about 25000 to 35000 that caught public transport for each game. This is why Adelaide Oval works so well.

I don't catch the bus or the tram to the football but I benefit from the system if less people drive so I'm happy to pay the extra required.

Because the people of South Australia are addicted to cars, and as evidenced by the number of people still driving in to the football, and still demanding a multistory carpark across from the Victor Richardson gates. It's going to take a decade of paying for their public transport for them/in advance as part of the membership to get them used to it enough that it can be switched back to a user pays option without the stuck pig whining for more car parks again.

The State Government has been battling against this for a while now, which is why it bit the bullet, and paid heavily for large upgrades to services that aren't used, because they weren't good enough or convenient enough so people didn't use them, so they weren't getting money for upgrades because people weren't using them. A long but necessary battle, as is the freeze on new car parks in the CBD, of which we already have the most per capita in the country.

I pretty much agree with this, which is why I'm happy to pay a small surcharge for public transport.

I'd prefer to drive, have a mate drive, or be dropped off, but the more people taking public transport, the better... even if I'm not one of them ;)

EDIT - exactly as bombercliff stated.

I am definitely for user pay. In my family there is:

Me and my partner: Both work in the city and both buy 28 day bus passes entitling us to unlimited travel. We have already paid to take the bus.
My Dad: Lived in the country and drives 2+ hours here and the same back to attend games - slugging him even more for transport is unfair.
My partner's Dad: A veteran who already is entitled to free travel.

Having people scan their metro card is not difficult, even when there is a large group. You can already have a cash balance and a 28-day pass separately linked to one card. You'd just have another pass that is only active during pre-programmed times when games are on.

Because the people of South Australia are addicted to cars, and as evidenced by the number of people still driving in to the football, and still demanding a multistory carpark across from the Victor Richardson gates. It's going to take a decade of paying for their public transport for them/in advance as part of the membership to get them used to it enough that it can be switched back to a user pays option without the stuck pig whining for more car parks again.

The State Government has been battling against this for a while now, which is why it bit the bullet, and paid heavily for large upgrades to services that aren't used, because they weren't good enough or convenient enough so people didn't use them, so they weren't getting money for upgrades because people weren't using them. A long but necessary battle, as is the freeze on new car parks in the CBD, of which we already have the most per capita in the country.

images

Having people scan their metro card is not difficult, even when there is a large group. You can already have a cash balance and a 28-day pass separately linked to one card. You'd just have another pass that is only active during pre-programmed times when games are on.

How about those that pay cash on board the bus/train/tram? It would be just about impossible for a conductor to walk down the tram collecting fares, the railway station would be clogged at the turnstiles with people touching on, and there would be significant delays on buses as people fork out cash.

The levy is the most practical way of subsidising Public Transport. Also, the WA, NSW and Queensland Government's do the same for their major events and you don't hear too much whining there...

The grass is returning to the hill, slowly.

IMG_5057_zps5c430f4c.jpg

Is that from the concert? Also would the ground have been in terrible condition for the first game at new AO. What concerns me is that would the ground have ever recovered for the rest of the year?

Concerts should always be scheduled post footy season. Aside from a 5 day test match and an ODI game, footy must always rule over cricket.

It was great catching the train this year, it made the whole game day experience all the more fun. I have been going to our games since we started in 1991 and had never caught the bus there.

I'm the same. The only time I ever took a bus to Footy Park was as a kid when we went to the state game early 80s when Kernahan kicked a big bag, it was a primary school footy team event.

Now I take a train for every game......get into town early...have some lunch/dinner and wander to the ground.

Took a car once this year, to the Port/Swans game (heavily pregnant sister in law came long so we drove) and got an easy park just north of the Strathmore in one of those multi storey carparks. Was surprised how easy it was given a 50K crowd that night.

Train is the way to go for me...I'm a convert!

How about those that pay cash on board the bus/train/tram? It would be just about impossible for a conductor to walk down the tram collecting fares, the railway station would be clogged at the turnstiles with people touching on, and there would be significant delays on buses as people fork out cash.

The levy is the most practical way of subsidising Public Transport. Also, the WA, NSW and Queensland Government's do the same for their major events and you don't hear too much whining there...
Conductors don't walk down the tram collecting fares now, why would they do it for the football?

I have already been asked on two occasions to show the bus driver my match ticket despite being in Crows gear. The footy express buses don't ask, but it is more convenient for me to take another that stops right near my house (and I'm perfectly entitled to take it for free). I just swipe my metro card anyway though as it is quicker than pulling out my membership.

People wanting to pay cash to the bus driver need not be a problem. Many buses in Sydney state that they are Opal card only. It just means people have to be organised.

Making a large number of people pay for something they have either already paid for, get for free anyway, or don't use so that others don't have to make sure hey have a ticket ahead of time doesn't make sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most match days I usually catch my regular bus into the city a couple hours early. Even if it's not the footy express, the bus driver says I can ride for free because I'm going to the footy.

I didn't complain but I thought it was strange.

Most match days I usually catch my regular bus into the city a couple hours early. Even if it's not the footy express, the bus driver says I can ride for free because I'm going to the footy.

I didn't complain but I thought it was strange.
You can take any bus, tram, or train free.

I ran up to a bus just as it was pulling away, he stopped and let me on. I said thanks and he grumbled at me that he 'shouldn't be picking you footy people up anyway' as he wasn't a footy express. I corrected him that it was any bus and he said 'yeah, only if you have a game ticket'...like I was in all my Crows gear for a laugh. I showed him my membership and then scanned my metro card as well.

Making a large number of people pay for something they have either already paid for, get for free anyway, or don't use so that others don't have to make sure hey have a ticket ahead of time doesn't make sense.

But that large number of people are using public transport (if 30-35k out of 45-50k are using it, then the car drivers are very much in the minority on match days), so why make it more difficult for them to use public transport to appease the minority of car drivers.

Is that from the concert?

No, that's the damage caused across the season by football fans

Aside from a 5 day test match and an ODI game, footy must always rule over cricket.

Absolutely not. It's a shared tenancy of a third party venue, not Cricket renting the ground from the AFL, and the ground owners will be the ones to decide when to stage concerts, which in turn are largely determined by the touring dates the band sets themselves.

Absolutely not. It's a shared tenancy of a third party venue, not Cricket renting the ground from the AFL, and the ground owners will be the ones to decide when to stage concerts, which in turn are largely determined by the touring dates the band sets themselves.

Well both SA teams should rule AO over cricket, the revenue that AFL generates at AO is monumental compared to cricket. It was the move by both AFL clubs to AO, that has allowed AO to not only renovate the ground but to make it still one of the most picturesque grounds in the world.

Look at International cricket at AO this season - a T20 made up of 2nd or 3rd tier players and a Test match. The WC will have India play one game, and us play a QF here and thats it.

Because relegating the Cricket team to only playing on Adelaide Oval when it suits the AFL teams is going to fi the problem, instead of making it worse.

It's a shared tenancy between two codes with little seasonal overlap, which means there should be no instances of one keeping the other off the ground during competition. The SMA on the other hand is going to chase whatever other events they feel can turn a tidy profit, and they'll host them during the football and cricket seasons at their own discretion. If you don't like it, I suggest you get used to it, because events aren't going to change their dates to suit sports teams - and these other events are where the SMA is meant to be making all of their money.

Deny the SMA the ability to bid for and host these events, and the SMA is going to demand a greater cut of the game day money from the clubs in compensation.

Last edited:
But that large number of people are using public transport (if 30-35k out of 45-50k are using it, then the car drivers are very much in the minority on match days), so why make it more difficult for them to use public transport to appease the minority of car drivers.
It isn't just the car drivers. As I said, I take the bus to the footy bit I have already paid for it, why should I need to pay twice? Ill bet tons of other people go the 28 day bus pass also and they will also be paying twice.

My partner's dad has free bus travel, now he would have to pay for it?

My dad spends a great deal of money on travel to drive from the country each game, why punish him with even more travel costs?

I caught the footy express every game at Aami stadium but have only caught the train 3 times to AO. The crush at the train station makes it unbearable.
If the bollards were up at Adelaide train station then the crush would be dangerous and more people would choose to drive. This would basically make AO unusable. Take the bollards down and no one will pay when they get on the train. So we either don't use AO or have a 'free' travel arrangement to AO.

I caught the footy express every game at Aami stadium but have only caught the train 3 times to AO. The crush at the train station makes it unbearable.

The crush is an urban myth hyped up by a couple of poor Advertiser articles early in the season.

I caught the train for the majority of matches and while it was congested (as you'd expect) it certainly wasn't a crush. The worst was a couple of times the crowd would build up momentarily while one train took off and they opened up the next one, but it wasn't that bad (and certainly nowhere near unbearable)

The crush is an urban myth hyped up by a couple of poor Advertiser articles early in the season.

I caught the train for the majority of matches and while it was congested (as you'd expect) it certainly wasn't a crush. The worst was a couple of times the crowd would build up momentarily while one train took off and they opened up the next one, but it wasn't that bad (and certainly nowhere near unbearable)
In terms of Adelaide Crows matches I tried to catch the Seaford Line home after the Sydney match. Since we were getting belted everyone left with 10 minutes to go but the trains did not run until after the final siren possibly 10 minutes after. Didn't try it again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back