AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

At the cricket I bought a bottle, and was surprised when they said I could refill it for free at the bar.

Didn't bother though to test if that was true. I guess it may be part of their responsible serving of alcohol policy that they should provide water. If that is the case you should be able to get water for free?

The new 3rd floor bars in the cricket members stand had free to use filtered-style taps with a stack of free cups next to them, very useful

Any place that serves alcohol in SA, must also serve water for free. You'll notice lots of places now, they actually have a water cooler and a bunch of cups, easier than paying bar staff to serve it.

I have used this in the Phil Ridings bar at games last year.

And the pulled pork roll was foul. Especially when you consider the many great options for Banh Mi in town now.

The pulled pork roll I had at the EF ranks as the most vile food I've ever purchased at a sporting event. Disgusting.

View attachment 113268
This is a photo I took at our very first home game at Adelaide Oval.

I look forward to taking the same photo at our first home game this year and doing the old "compare and contrast"
You've missed out on a increase late last year - drinks went up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 113268
This is a photo I took at our very first home game at Adelaide Oval.

I look forward to taking the same photo at our first home game this year and doing the old "compare and contrast"

Since the MCC are going "down, down, prices are down", either
(1) they've been gouging for years, or
(2) someone's kicking them back the difference.

If it's #1, why are we being gouged? Don't say economies of scale. The amount of foodstuffs going through those places are already astronomical. I've heard the argument all the money is going back to football already, the deal hasn't even been signed off yet and already the VFL have changed the playing field.

If it's #2, where's our discount?

Moral of the Story: take your own food and drink to the football. I do, because $9.50 for a crap beer i don't particularly like is bullshit. I can buy a carton of Pale Ale for $42 (equivalent = $1.75). And the food is... mass-produced rubbish. Take a sandwich and eat something healthy, or buy food in the city.

Since the MCC are going "down, down, prices are down", either
(1) they've been gouging for years, or
(2) someone's kicking them back the difference.

If it's #1, why are we being gouged? Don't say economies of scale. The amount of foodstuffs going through those places are already astronomical. I've heard the argument all the money is going back to football already, the deal hasn't even been signed off yet and already the VFL have changed the playing field.

If it's #2, where's our discount?

Moral of the Story: take your own food and drink to the football. I do, because $9.50 for a crap beer i don't particularly like is bullshit. I can buy a carton of Pale Ale for $42 (equivalent = $1.75). And the food is... mass-produced rubbish. Take a sandwich and eat something healthy, or buy food in the city.

The SANFL last year conservatively would have seen 2.5 times the revenue it would have seen in the last year at AAMI.

I did. Purely based on observation and gut feel.

Easy enough to do - what were the crowd figures for final year at AAMI, and first year at AO? Then assume crowd behaviour was constant, and BAM you've got a multiplier.

Thank you Google: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afls-poor-crowd-figures-20140929-10nrbq.html

The total crowd figure at the ground for Port Adelaide and Adelaide home-and-away games was 1,016,514, at an average of 46,205.

That is a massive increase on the 665,808 total for AAMI Stadium's swansong last year, with an average of only 30,264.

1.53 times as many people, ~ 1.53 times as much food. Without correcting for factors such as more places to go eat beforehand, etc. Not quite 2.5, but still enormous.

"Hey, your catering sales are going to jump 50% this year, how do you feel about that?"
"Let's gouge!"

Easy enough to do - what were the crowd figures for final year at AAMI, and first year at AO? Then assume crowd behaviour was constant, and BAM you've got a multiplier.

Thank you Google: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-afls-poor-crowd-figures-20140929-10nrbq.html

1.53 times as many people, ~ 1.53 times as much food. Without correcting for factors such as more places to go eat beforehand, etc. Not quite 2.5, but still enormous.

"Hey, your catering sales are going to jump 50% this year, how do you feel about that?"
"Let's gouge!"

Don't forget another 50,000 for the Port Richmond final too. I sit in the western stand. My observation is that Alcohol consumption is way higher too. Bars are always busy, no matter whether it's half way through the second quarter or before the game. At AAMI there was generally a mad rush at the end of quarters, but it was a ghost town whilst the match was on. I put this down to a few factors. Public transport. Far more people are catching public transport meaning they aren't worried about being over the limit. More night games. More of a carnival atmosphere at games. More people go out in town after the games, therefore going to the footy is only part of the experience, at AAMI you went to the game then you went home. Noticeably younger crowd. Factor in the price rises then I honestly don't think 2.5 times is off the mark.

Statement from today, as you said the amount going to the clubs may be minimal but reducing catering revenue will upset both parties regardless.

View attachment 113233

Very crafty to list "AFL Clubs" before "SANFL" as the beneficiaries of catering revenue - I imagine the real split would be enormously in favour of the SANFL.

If your in the western stand support the outside catering vans.

Realistically few games are played during meal times. Meal in town then head to the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back