AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

That's ridiculous, you're saying that there is a problem with the talent spread between the good and bad teams so your solution is to hand one of the top teams arguably the best talent in the draft for two years straight for next to nothing. Yes that's right, let's make the weak teams stronger by giving the strong teams like Sydney the best kids in the draft.

Only on bigfooty would this argument be used.

That is not what I am arguing at all.

There are around 80 kids being drafted every year if you include the rookie draft, and the reason 80 kids are drafted is because the 18 clubs need that many, they can't get fewer because they are worried the depth is not there. So lets say currently there are 80 kids being drafted from heartland states.

If NSW and QLD can start producing 15 players every single year that means that 15 players from heartland states will not be drafted, 15 players that would have been drafted in previous years but are not really good enough to make it. Adding those 15 players from NSW and QLD makes the entire draft pool stronger, meaning the quality in the draft goes deeper, meaning the overall quality of an AFL list will increase because more good quality players are available.

That is not what I am arguing at all.

There are around 80 kids being drafted every year if you include the rookie draft, and the reason 80 kids are drafted is because the 18 clubs need that many, they can't get fewer because they are worried the depth is not there. So lets say currently there are 80 kids being drafted from heartland states.

If NSW and QLD can start producing 15 players every single year that means that 15 players from heartland states will not be drafted, 15 players that would have been drafted in previous years but are not really good enough to make it. Adding those 15 players from NSW and QLD makes the entire draft pool stronger, meaning the quality in the draft goes deeper, meaning the overall quality of an AFL list will increase because more good quality players are available.
Sounds like keeping it a 16 team competition would have been a lot simpler way to achieve this ends.

Ahhh so youre only for killing off other peoples clubs. Got it.
I didn't say we should get rid of anyone's club, though looking at GWS and GC's membership numbers from this year you wouldn't be upsetting a lot of people, just that the AFL is trying to solve a problem of their own making.

Not across the Vic clubs funding Vic footy, see the AFR article below outlining the Eagles & WA footy. Perhaps you can point to the similar revenue line in AFL Vic - we all know the models are different, even you telsor, even you. Arguably the AFL contribution is simply a distribution of funds earned by the comp not calculable by club, ergo includes a contribution by all clubs even WA.

The AFR referred to the Eagles last September
.. about $4.5 million in 2014, the Eagles' profit is among the biggest in the entire AFL, after it pays $6.4 million in rent and royalties to the West Australian Football Commission.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/mining-downturn-hits-west-coast-eagles-profits-20150904-gjfbwb#ixzz3zTSzJfNX

Don't bother with him, mate. He's willfully ignorant when it comes to footy funding and distribution.

He's had it explained to him patiently at least a dozen times with links to financial reports and the like but then just pops up again with the same ignorant crap in another thread.

They are growing. Thats all that counts.

The AFL is growing the game. Thats not a problem.
I guess we'll have to wait and see if the cost to the competition in the time the AFL tried to grow these markets was worth it. Gold Coast are down 1100 memberships on this time last year BTW.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if the cost to the competition in the time the AFL tried to grow these markets was worth it. Gold Coast are down 1100 memberships on this time last year BTW.
They're a young club in a new market who had a **** season and a poor off season. If they make finals or have a decent year, watch the numbers come back up.

Got to love the AFL St Kilda makes stategic decison with AFL approval to focus on Bayside and Mornington Peninsula. AFL give MP zone to Melbourne. FMD.
St Kilda should be allowed an NZ academy. You can keep the MP, give them a whole country.

They're a young club in a new market who had a **** season and a poor off season. If they make finals or have a decent year, watch the numbers come back up.
So in other words they're not growing like GG asserted but might grow if things go right for them on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are growing. But any club will lose support after a horrendous year especially a new club. No one expected that to happen. Theyll get back on their feet
They've always looked at home near the bottom of the ladder, always been massively dependent on Ablett and their lack of depth was apparent in 2014. I wasn't shocked.

Thats nice.

Always looked at home. Hmmm they are 5 years old. And in 2013 just missed the 8.
Five years is a long time to miss finals. Especially for a side that is trying to build support in an area notorious for not nurturing fledgling sports franchises.

Got to love the AFL St Kilda makes stategic decison with AFL approval to focus on Bayside and Mornington Peninsula. AFL give MP zone to Melbourne. FMD.
The Peninsula is the whitest most British place on earth. You aren't missing anything there.

A lot of clubs are in a similar situation...

From the 'highlights' section of Richmond's annual report released just a few months back...
"Continued commitment to our partnership with the Shire of Cardinia – one of Australia’s fastest growing municipalities. As part of this, we will play a pre-season game against Hawthorn in Beaconsfield in February 2016."

And we get the North of the state....

Then again, clubs seem 'flexible' where these things are concerned...A few years ago, Richmond was all about Cragieburn, with a new MCG sized training ground there and 'community involvement' until suddenly it stopped.

Sadly its a true reflection of the current admin of our game - a great example of the bloody mess Gil & Co are in, all with a big tick of the Commission, or at least a majority vote of the Commissioners !!

Are any clubs?

Or are you OK with NSW & QLD clubs not being qualified?

Are you acknowledging my point & querying the structure in the Northern States ?

I am aware of the way the WAFC go about it, with WAFL clubs all looking after zones. No preferential selections, same as Port are doing in SA.

Are you acknowledging my point & querying the structure in the Northern States ?

I am aware of the way the WAFC go about it, with WAFL clubs all looking after zones. No preferential selections, same as Port are doing in SA.

I don't think ANY clubs should be involved. See, I'm consistent in my argument...I don't care where the club comes from, or how much my club will (or wont) benefit, and I've been saying the same thing from when academies were first discussed.

Clubs will compete...Maybe try and lure a player across the 'border' (as used to happen under the old 'zones'), or if they develop a better training technique, keep it to themselves rather than sharing it. Having it in the hands of AFLQLD, or AFLVic, or WAFC would mean more open sharing of knowledge and the benefits would be spread equally. There would also be flow on benefits for lower grade football (clubs only really care about players who might potentially play for them, AFLNSW (etc) would benefit from players going to NEAFL too (and even to lower grades). Add to that that the Vic version (and presumably the WA/SA versions if/when they happen) focuses on indigenous and migrant groups...Would the resources be better utilised if that isn't a completely separate stream, especially in rural/remote areas...Do 2 lots of training staff need to travel around now???

NSW/QLD probably requires more funding to promote the junior and development levels, that is also better suited to come from the AFL, rather than the (relatively poor) northern clubs (funneling AFL money through them to do it just makes them look even weaker after all).

I don't think ANY clubs should be involved. See, I'm consistent in my argument...I don't care where the club comes from, or how much my club will (or wont) benefit, and I've been saying the same thing from when academies were first discussed.

Clubs will compete...Maybe try and lure a player across the 'border' (as used to happen under the old 'zones'), or if they develop a better training technique, keep it to themselves rather than sharing it. Having it in the hands of AFLQLD, or AFLVic, or WAFC would mean more open sharing of knowledge and the benefits would be spread equally. There would also be flow on benefits for lower grade football (clubs only really care about players who might potentially play for them, AFLNSW (etc) would benefit from players going to NEAFL too (and even to lower grades). Add to that that the Vic version (and presumably the WA/SA versions if/when they happen) focuses on indigenous and migrant groups...Would the resources be better utilised if that isn't a completely separate stream, especially in rural/remote areas...Do 2 lots of training staff need to travel around now???

NSW/QLD probably requires more funding to promote the junior and development levels, that is also better suited to come from the AFL, rather than the (relatively poor) northern clubs (funneling AFL money through them to do it just makes them look even weaker after all).

No clubs involved in Academies is best, I agree. State based Academies would be a better solution, however I'd allow Northern clubs unfettered access to their local lads - not Vic clubs, not SA clubs, not WA clubs.

SNAFU is our AFL. Remember the NSW scholarship scheme that took NSW talent under some misguided, poorly delivered initiative. Fair dinkum, they are a bloody disgrace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back