AFL announces Recruit winner to be Cat B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

Category B rookies have always "chosen" their club.
Agreed. Don't see the big deal. The only slight change is the relaxation of who qualifies to be a category B rookie. Most of these players wouldn't qualify under the normal category B rookie rules but as a one off, and with all the clubs having the same access to know and scout a limited group of three players, that doesn't seem like a huge deal.

Reece Maxwell would be a very good chance if not for his age - already 25.
Bradie Foster (204cm ruckman from QAFL) outside chance - 24 years old.

Johann Wagner the likely winner imo. Hard to tell from TV footage though like others have said. Averaged about 6 goals a game in the Tasmanian leagues though.

The biggest downfall of the show IMO is that far too many of the contestants are too old to be seriously considered. However, the requirements I guess contributed to that. Most guys under 22 who are any good would be in the WAFL, SANFL or VFL system and therefore ineligible.

The only exception was the 1 (21 year old) player from a remote indigenous community who was supremely talented, but just not that interested.

Last edited:
I haven't watched it - any chance of any of them except the winner getting picked up?

Indigenous KPF Waylen Manson would be a chance but got "delisted" for generally not having the right mental mindset to play AFL last week, so... tricky to say.

Some of the others would be a chance, but they wouldn't be anything more than depth/role players. Most are at the age where I can't imagine them becoming fit enough to play professional AFL on a regular basis but there are always exceptions.

Manson basically voluntarily left. He'd been saying from the outset that he didn't really want to be there. It was only after he voluntarily put himself up for delisting 2 weeks in a row that they believed him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the winner choose the club, then surely they would choose the club they support or maybe a club where they might get a game.

You would want a team that has a good development programme and has a track record of taking rookies and playing/turning them into decent players. Which team that would be I don't know. Esssendon has quite a few though.

I've heard rumours (POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT)

Wagner wins and wants to play for North. I'm not saying that just because I'm a North man, just heard alot of people and media personalities say it

Wagner wins and wants to play for North. I'm not saying that just because I'm a North man, just heard alot of people and media personalities say it
Can you direct me to where at least 1 media personality had said this. Thanks.

They aren't your Mark Robinson's or your John Ralph's etc. I was surprised when I read it. Wagner, hailing from SA I would have thought would choose the Crows or Power.
Can you direct me to where at least 1 media personality had said this. Thanks.

They aren't your Mark Robinson's or your John Ralph's etc. I was surprised when I read it. Wagner, hailing from SA I would have thought would choose the Crows or Power.

That doesn't tell me anyone saying Wagner has chosen North other than a random Facebook link (which is most likely trolling).

I'm not going to hand out names, it's just weird that you see rumours like that plastered here and there. I'll laugh if it turns out to be true.

Clubs are meant to nominate if they want him during a 'live' draft. Maybe he has already spoken to clubs behind the scenes about it. I guess we will see on Wednesday night. If no club nominates the AFL has told GWS that they have to take him. They have to pay him but it will be outside the salary cap.

Clubs are meant to nominate if they want him during a 'live' draft. Maybe he has already spoken to clubs behind the scenes about it. I guess we will see on Wednesday night. If no club nominates the AFL has told GWS that they have to take him. They have to pay him but it will be outside the salary cap.

There was an article on Chris Moreland last week where he said they had done the interviews and three clubs had contacted him, so it's not out of the question that Wagner would already know which clubs are interested.

I'm not going to hand out names, it's just weird that you see rumours like that plastered here and there. I'll laugh if it turns out to be true.

Look at me !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back