List Mgmt. AFL Article linking Cats and Frawley

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eelong-star-steven-motlop-20140727-zx6a2.html

Apparently Gary Lyon is saying that if Geelong are after Frawley, then the Dee's should offer Motlop a big contract and snatch him from us. Not that I'm aware Motlops contract is up at Geelong. Maybe Geelong are in this more than we think, if Lyon is singling out Geelong? I find it hard to reconcile a club like ours giving Frawley a 7 year contract and pay overs as well for the guy when we have much more deserving players for big money on our list already. Geelong don't roll like that, or at least they haven't to this point.

First of all: LOL
Secondly: Gary are you out of your bleeping mind?! Why would we a) let Steven go or b) allow such a farcical trade occur? Mots is one of our most important players and will be for the next 8 or so years. He's self-evidently talented and important to our team, and has never signalled an intention that he'd want to leave. Also he's in contract. Comparing the two teams I doubt he'd want to go to Melbourne for excessive amounts of money - why would anyone chose that option?

I'm unsure of the mechanics of player trading - are they even allowed to do that? It seems like Lyon is being a bit vindictive and petty, trying to stir up a s**t storm so we leave Frawley alone. Geelong is hopefully not the kind of team that would sell off such integral players for a free agent who isn't really that great for the estimated price he's requesting.

It seems like Lyon is being a bit vindictive and petty, trying to stir up a s**t storm so we leave Frawley alone.
Lyon is trying every tactic, and in the process will no doubt be pissing off a lot of people - he's completely dismissed Frawley as a player; he is showing his contempt for Geelong (this no doubt explains why we get buggar all coverage on his Monday night show); and I dare say Gillon McLachlan & the AFL would not be happy with how he is trying to influence free agency.

Gary Lyon, just butt the hell out of this. If you wanted to coach Melbourne you should have put your hand up a few years ago. Too late now...

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eelong-star-steven-motlop-20140727-zx6a2.html

Apparently Gary Lyon is saying that if Geelong are after Frawley, then the Dee's should offer Motlop a big contract and snatch him from us. Not that I'm aware Motlops contract is up at Geelong. Maybe Geelong are in this more than we think, if Lyon is singling out Geelong? I find it hard to reconcile a club like ours giving Frawley a 7 year contract and pay overs as well for the guy when we have much more deserving players for big money on our list already. Geelong don't roll like that, or at least they haven't to this point.
Yeah he's gonna leave a club that's equal first and go to a club that's equal last. ******* idiot Lyon. As others have said it's really poor form what he's doing. Like Clarko coming out and say well actually Buddy has a chronic knee problem and will only last 2 years or something.

One more thing from that Age article.
"Frawley has made it clear he wants to play in finals, having not achieved that aim in almost eight completed seasons with the Demons."
Leave the guy alone Gary he shouldn't have to suffer at a s**t club due to the incompetence of others i.e. yourself!

Alright JUBJUB here goes (not in any particular order and based on my observations from Demon games this year):

Nathan Jones, Matt Jones, Pederson, Tyson, Viney, Howes, Vince, Mcdonald, Jamar and Dawes.

Dawes and Pederson have been more dangerous as big forwards than Frawley has (Frawley has played more forward than back this year from what I have seen).
Do you think that Frawley is being played more forward this year for the same reason that GAJ was kept out of the midfield in 2010? i.e. that Melb know Frawley is going to ditch them?

And I'd be surprised if there's any truth to the reports of Frawley being after a 7 year contract @ $700 / $800K per annum. This all seems to be part of the free agent game that is played. If it was true, you'd expect Geelong to make a statement to the effect "thanks, but no thanks".
Frawley has denied both the inflated price AND the 7 year contract issue.

My interpretation of what Lyon was saying in that article is that the interest in Frawley by other clubs is putting more pressure on Melbourne, so they are having to offer more money or a longer contract than they otherwise would have, in an attempt to keep him. So Lyon is saying Melbourne should target the good players of other clubs, like Motlop, not necessarily to recruit them, but to put pressure on other clubs so they have to spend more, and therefore use up more of their salary cap, to keep their stars.

But Lyon doesn't seem to understand that this is just how free agency works. It's a free market, and clubs are competing with different currencies, whether it be $$, contract length or the chance for players to compete in finals/win premierships. Unfortunately Sydney could offer all three to get a Buddy Franklin, but in the end every club has to manage its list and try and maintain a talented and competitive group. Geelong has done this extremely well and Melbourne hasn't, but that's just life.

If it was Melb chasing Dangerfield , as they may next year , do you think he would be saying gees Adelaide may get a little bit shirty at us .....
No he would be saying that Melb has been down the bottom too long , that its time for it be what its should be ... a bench mark elite club.

We didn't invent FA. If he wants to start up a bit of a trade target situation then OK , lets see how they like it when we start looking at Howe .

Howe do you like that Garry?

Last edited:
So they're both true then. :)
lol- who knows? I think it was his agent who actually started one of those rumours- might have been the $800 thou rumour- so possibly true.
Maybe the extra year of Roos coaching the Dees might swing him to stay- he says (below) that he loves the club and loyalty is a "massive thing"- but would love to play finals. If he thinks Roos is the way there, I think he might stay- plus Melb can probably offer him bigger buckaroos than the Cats can.
http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2014-06-05/im-in-no-rush-to-decide-future-frawley

Do you think that Frawley is being played more forward this year for the same reason that GAJ was kept out of the midfield in 2010? i.e. that Melb know Frawley is going to ditch them?

Not really TC, they were seriously bereft of tall forwards early in the season - Frawley made an immediate impact when he was swung up forward, too.
fwiw I'm just not that into Frawley as a player; he's ok, but I'd be just as happy to see Hamling given a run.
I certainly wouldn't be offering him big bucks or anything more than 3 years (then again I probably wouldn't be that into chasing him full stop).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was Melb chasing Dangerfield , as they may next year , do you think he would be saying gees Adelaide may get a little bit shirty at us .....
No he would be saying that Melb has been down the bottom too long , that its time for it be what its should be ... a bench mark elite club.

We didn't invent FA. If want to start up a bit of a trade target situation then OK , lets see how they like it when we start looking at Howe .

Howe do you like that Garry?
Watt(s)?

My favourite part is how posters on their board are with a straight face talking about getting a priority pick to go with picks 2 and 4 they will get if Frawley leaves. :drunk:
You can't tank for 5 years and then on the back of that again request draft assistance.

Not really TC, they were seriously bereft of tall forwards early in the season - Frawley made an immediate impact when he was swung up forward, too.
fwiw I'm just not that into Frawley as a player; he's ok, but I'd be just as happy to see Hamling given a run.
I certainly wouldn't be offering him big bucks or anything more than 3 years (then again I probably wouldn't be that into chasing him full stop).
Thanks CC. I haven't followed the Melbourne games (obviously) and was putting some clues together from posters here- obviously making 5 out of the 2+2 that I had :(

I would agree with giving Hamling a run- every FA we bring in sets one of the young boys back a year. Let's not forget that we're going to come up against the two northern juggernauts very soon, when their boys are all at peak age and 50-100 game players. We need to get more games into our younger players pretty quickly if we're aiming to keep up with them.

Thanks CC. I haven't followed the Melbourne games (obviously) and was putting some clues together from posters here- obviously making 5 out of the 2+2 that I had :(

I would agree with giving Hamling a run- every FA we bring in sets one of the young boys back a year. Let's not forget that we're going to come up against the two northern juggernauts very soon, when their boys are all at peak age and 50-100 game players. We need to get more games into our younger players pretty quickly if we're aiming to keep up with them.

I only saw some of their early season games, when they (Melbourne) we're seemingly playing a bit better than they did in 2013, but just couldn't score - no forward targets.

If Frawley comes to Geelong I'd be happy enough, but at the right price/contract length ... and I do admit to seeing some potential in Hamling (as Wells must have!), so I'd at least like to see him given a run before slipping back behind Frawley in the pecking order - perhaps there's room for both in the 22; I don't think so though .. unless they're planning to play either up forward - in Hamling's case, they'd wanna start playing him there in the VFL, in Frawley's case, whilst he did give the Demons a boost in the forward half earlier this season, I'm not convinced he could do it on a permanent basis ..

I only saw some of their early season games, when they (Melbourne) we're seemingly playing a bit better than they did in 2013, but just couldn't score - no forward targets.

If Frawley comes to Geelong I'd be happy enough, but at the right price/contract length ... and I do admit to seeing some potential in Hamling (as Wells must have!), so I'd at least like to see him given a run before slipping back behind Frawley in the pecking order - perhaps there's room for both in the 22; I don't think so though .. unless they're planning to play either up forward - in Hamling's case, they'd wanna start playing him there in the VFL, in Frawley's case, whilst he did give the Demons a boost in the forward half earlier this season, I'm not convinced he could do it on a permanent basis ..

The thing though, is hamling ready for next year?

Lonners, Enright, Mackie etc are getting to the end of their careers, one of those three will most likely retire this year, probably Lonners the year after.

Rivers, is looking more and more adaptable to playing on a big body, but, that would only leave Taylor and hamling. The latter, along with klod, won't be afl ready next year.

So they probably could look at a guys whose ready now, and can lead the backline for 2-3 years, whilst these younger guys come on.

How do we determine whether frawley is that player? Stuff knows, most in here didn't want Rivers, but, he has been crucial for us at times this year.

I think Hamling started off up forward in the VFL. Thought he played his first season there.

I think Hamling started off up forward in the VFL. Thought he played his first season there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back