Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Apparently Frawley is on his way back to Perth for a physical. Looks like this horse has bolted. Funny thing though, is that with Silvagni and Dawson, they actually have an adequate defence that still has a few years left. What they dont have are key forwards. I would have been personally throwing the kitchen sink at a forward if i were Freo...

GFrost

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Barrett is saying today Hawthorn are still in it, "up to their eyeballs", and that's why there is no decision yet, waiting for Hawks to finish season.
Barrett says Hawks second favourites to get him, behind Geelong. Freo, despite having largest offer still third...

Apparently Frawley is on his way back to Perth for a physical. Looks like this horse has bolted. Funny thing though, is that with Silvagni and Dawson, they actually have an adequate defence that still has a few years left. What they dont have are key forwards. I would have been personally throwing the kitchen sink at a forward if i were Freo...

Not sure it's bolted. Any club putting up cash would want to protect their investment..
Due diligence

Go Catters

We can't bury the ethos of out existence and success of the last 8 years for one player. Yes the landscape is changing and we must with it but not by blowing it up on one player

Go Catters

This is the dilemma facing Geelong. We will be left behind by all clubs unless we adapt. Between 2004 and 2011 we didn't need to look elsewhere because we had such a rich and deep "batting" list/ This has changed. We aren't in line for a top 10 draft pick for, what, the 8th year in a row. Neither is Hawthorn or Swans, but they have set the pace by recruiting ready made players.

We need a full back to replace Lonergan. I say do what it takes. To do so will not be a case of ignoring our history or recent ethos; its just recognition that if we want success we have to keep up with the Jones'

Just develop Kolo it's cheaper and better long term and get Giles if we can, save the money to try and land Danger next year if we can.

Frawley is massively overrated let Freo and the Dawks throw the money at him.
And how long do you give Kolo? Yet to play a senior game; he is along term project

One possibility is that Frawley wants to come to Geelong but is using the pursuit by Freo to get the best possible contract he can from Geelong.

Nothing wrong with that at all, of course. He has every right.

This would also fit neatly with the whispers heard weeks ago that he had selected Geelong as his destination.

I couldnt agree more. **** Frawley. Pump games into Hamling. Pump games into Kolo. Do it now while they can play alongside of Taylor, Loners and Rivers. rivers is already 26. He me be cooked in 4 years.
I am okay with this AS LONG as we agree Cats will be a middle order team (14th - 8th) for the forseeable future as we rebuild?

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
I am okay with this AS LONG as we agree Cats will be a middle order team (14th - 8th) for the forseeable future as we rebuild?
not necessarily. We have "coped with" plenty of young mids and even forwards in this rebuild. And not dropped. We can manage one maybe 2 defenders, so long as we continue to play them alongside of Taylor and Loners and Enright.

not necessarily. We have "coped with" plenty of young mids and even forwards in this rebuild. And not dropped. We can manage one maybe 2 defenders, so long as we continue to play them alongside of Taylor and Loners and Enright.
But we saw this year just how far we have fallen. Our veterans are getting slower

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Just develop Kolo it's cheaper and better long term and get Giles if we can, save the money to try and land Danger next year if we can.

Frawley is massively overrated let Freo and the Dawks throw the money at him.

And what if kolo doesn't develop? What if kolo is more suited to a lesser role (3rd tall), what if danger decides to stay (which appears most likely)?

Giles? Can't even get a game at Carlton.

An AA full back in the prime if their career (25 years of age) is on offer and you prefer us to go for some Carlton nobody, who is not even in offer?

Frawley had a bad year, but he was forced to play ff in the worst team. How would lonergan fair at ff if we had 29 inside 50s a game?

Frawley is a vital get for us, and I agree with Stew. We must adapt and go hard when key players are available that fill key roles for us. We won't be getting top 10 picks like our last rebuild, we need to be smart and bring in key players.

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Id be going to our Kolo telling him "youre gonna play 22 games this year. But. we want you to tell your brother NOT to resign when they try and get him to during this season. He'll be on a standard 2 year draftee contract. tell him we want him. And we want you both to be the pillars of our backline, together for the next 10 years. Then have Kolo (GC version) tell GC he wants to focus on footy and sign at seasons end. then tell them he wants out to play with his brother. Give them our first pick at seasons end.
Youre welcome.

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
I couldnt agree more. **** Frawley. Pump games into Hamling. Pump games into Kolo. Do it now while they can play alongside of Taylor, Loners and Rivers. rivers is already 26. He me be cooked in 4 years.

Rivers will be 30 in October, he realistically has 1 or 2 more years left. Will Kolo/Hamling be ready in a year? doubt it. Frawley is ready made now.

And what if kolo doesn't develop? What if kolo is more suited to a lesser role (3rd tall), what if danger decides to stay (which appears most likely)?

Giles? Can't even get a game at Carlton.

An AA full back in the prime if their career (25 years of age) is on offer and you prefer us to go for some Carlton nobody, who is not even in offer?

Frawley had a bad year, but he was forced to play ff in the worst team. How would lonergan fair at ff if we had 29 inside 50s a game?

Frawley is a vital get for us, and I agree with Stew. We must adapt and go hard when key players are available that fill key roles for us. We won't be getting top 10 picks like our last rebuild, we need to be smart and bring in key players.

Forgive me if im reading this incorrectly put your talking about Jonathon Giles the ruckmen? in which case he plays for GWS not Carlton (unless theres another im unaware of at Carlton). Giles was pushed out as a result of GWS getting Mumford last year and by all reports played well this year in there NEAFL team. He's also requested a trade late last week from GWS so he is "on offer". Your right about Frawley though, absolutely vital pick up for us.

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Gc kolo is a gun but he is a half back flanker, not KPD.

It's also wishful thinking that we could pull that off, and is probably not going to happen. Even if it does it doesn't solve our dire KPD situation.

And I wouldn't be surprised if hamling isn't even on our list in 2016.

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Rivers will be 30 in October, he realistically has 1 or 2 more years left. Will Kolo/Hamling be ready in a year? doubt it. Frawley is ready made now.

Forgive me if im reading this incorrectly put your talking about Jonathon Giles the ruckmen? in which case he plays for GWS not Carlton (unless theres another im unaware of at Carlton). Giles was pushed out as a result of GWS getting Mumford last year and by all reports played well this year in there NEAFL team. He's also requested a trade late last week from GWS so he is "on offer". Your right about Frawley though, absolutely vital pick up for us.
Sorry meant to say Frawley, not Rivers. #drunk

strauchnyy

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Yeah, apologies. Thought he was referring to the fb Carlton recently drafted called giles.

Re GWS version if giles, that could be a decent get, but I wouldn't be throwing the kitchen sink at him. He's a decent B grade ruckman.

Although he is durable.

Would trade out second for giles and their third. Wouldn't think he's worth more than that.

One possibility is that Frawley wants to come to Geelong but is using the pursuit by Freo to get the best possible contract he can from Geelong.

Nothing wrong with that at all, of course. He has every right.

This would also fit neatly with the whispers heard weeks ago that he had selected Geelong as his destination.
Certainly could help him if he is trying squeeze an extra year or 50-100k a year more....nothing like competition and creating a sense of urgency

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
Yeah, apologies. Thought he was referring to the fb Carlton recently drafted called giles.

Re GWS version if giles, that could be a decent get, but I wouldn't be throwing the kitchen sink at him. He's a decent B grade ruckman.

Although he is durable.

Would trade out second for giles and their third. Wouldn't think he's worth more than that.

There's a fair bit of discussion on the draft/trading thread about how we might get him. Consensus seems to be about what you said, second or third rounder for him. But we may face competition from teams like Port and Essendon (and others?) so it might not be that easy sadly.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If he does go upto $550, I think we should pass as unfortunate as it will be. By all accounts, we've offered him a terrific opportunity to make a life for himself. He doesn't have to pull the family away from friends or family and he has the chance to play in a team that will be feature in finals for many years to come.
We have some very good business people behind closed doors where he can get advice into property and other career paths which a few of our ex players have become very successful in.

Can't call him money hungry or silly either, as he's only trying to get the most out of what is a relatively short-spanned profession.

If he does go upto $550, I think we should pass as unfortunate as it will be.

Yep, I don't think that it would be good for the harmony of the group if they spend too much on an outsider when many of our top line players have taken less money to stay together.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Unfortunately the AFL world isn't like that anymore.
If we want to compete in the FA stakes we HAVE to start playing the game.

No , you must pay what we think he is worth and what fits in with our long term plans.

If we miss on him we look at alternatives.As I have said all along , i do not feel our KPD's are in the most dire shape. We need mids of the right age , we need a ruck.

The money we have offered is fair. If you want to pay more than that , we probably should go and talk to Carlise at Ess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back