AFL blocking A-League GF at MCG/Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melbourne Victory has a different agreement with Etihad compared to that of the AFL clubs. Its actually relatively profitable for them to play there, it earns a percentage of gate revenue starting at zero and going up, unlike the threshold system which the AFL implements. Also the AFL only acquires the stadium in 2025, and even on early acquisition they'd still be forced to honour the tenancy agreement struck with the club.

Tenancy agree with AFL clubs or the a league clubs?

What's the tenancy agreement with victory and city like?

Good chest beating stuff, but the most the FFA will pay the a stadium manager is a commercial rate.

Remember the only reason clubs don't pay out at Etihad when they don't get the crowds/$s thru the gates is because the AFL pick up the shortfall. Move these games to a financially viable venue.

We still pay out, sure the afl has picked up the slack, but we still front the majority of it. We are effectively helping to pay off that stadium

If the afl buy out the stadium early surely it becomes more profitable for us?

Tenancy agree with AFL clubs or the a league clubs?

What's the tenancy agreement with victory and city like?

Not sure about City, but Victory have one with Etihad's management until 2025 guaranteeing a set number of games at the venue. In exchange they get a percentage of gate revenue regardless of attendance, whereas the AFL deal only earns gate takings from a set figure (possibly 15,000 and above). I don't know the details of it, but the Victory are generally able to turn a profit and its partly driven by that.

AAMI park will be expanded to 45 - 50k on the back of long term contracts signed by MVFC & City rendering ES pointless for soccer.
I cant understand why they didn't build AAMI for a capacity of 50000 in the first place as surely they could understand they would at least 3/4 fill it for most home games that the 2 Melbourne clubs play as well as potential finals and grand finals that they may participate in the future. I cant stand watching soccer at Etihad as your so far away from all the action due to the fact we are using an AFL ground for the soccer

I cant understand why they didn't build AAMI for a capacity of 50000 in the first place as surely they could understand they would at least 3/4 fill it for most home games that the 2 Melbourne clubs play as well as potential finals and grand finals that they may participate in the future. I cant stand watching soccer at Etihad as your so far away from all the action due to the fact we are using an AFL ground for the soccer

The AFL could allow the stadium to be reconfigured as it was for the recent Derby in return for a better deal - needs the AFL to be looking for positives, not sitting on their hands, minds in neutral. Yep, it can take advantage of a soccer administrative stuff up, or do nothing just blaming Etihad for a stadium deal it brokered.

So why don't the Victory pay for it then? They're owned by some mega rich people. And I heard a rumout the group that runs Melbourne City has some coin as well....clearly if the business case exists there should be no worries raising the funding themselves.

Oh man. These comments are hilarious. A rumour huh?

Its widely known that they are extremely rich with sheikh mansour's net worth to be about 20 billion. He is the bloke that owns them.

Not sure about City, but Victory have one with Etihad's management until 2025 guaranteeing a set number of games at the venue. In exchange they get a percentage of gate revenue regardless of attendance, whereas the AFL deal only earns gate takings from a set figure (possibly 15,000 and above). I don't know the details of it, but the Victory are generally able to turn a profit and its partly driven by that.

Wow that is a pretty sweet deal

So the government gifting you a $250M ground isn't good enough, you want one that would probably have cost $500M Easy...Why don't the soccer clubs that are 'sure' to at least 3/4 fill it pay for the rest?

Of course there is also the problem of Etihad having a contract with the government that stipulates that no new grounds could be built to that size, but I'm sure you could buy them out of that clause, right?

The AFL could allow the stadium to be reconfigured as it was for the recent Derby in return for a better deal - needs the AFL to be looking for positives, not sitting on their hands, minds in neutral. Yep, it can take advantage of a soccer administrative stuff up, or do nothing just blaming Etihad for a stadium deal it brokered.

I think the AFL has OH&S issues regarding the stands being moved and its impact on the turf. See also ANZ Stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Show me.

Does that include the World Cup?

Crickets Big Bash smashes all when it comes to ratings in the summer - we're talking AFL/NRL style ratings here for each session (Average ratings for the first innings of night matches have been 878,000, while second innings have attracted 973,000 viewers - as opposed to the Aleague barely managing 150k at the best of times and averaging below 100k across the season).

The Big bash has higher average crowds (Average attendances for the first 16 matches have risen 37 per cent to 19,649, compared with last season's average of 14,366 as opposed to the Aleagues 13,480 in 2013-14).

Specifically take the Sydney Thunder v the West Sydney Wanderers, similar crowds but the Thunder pull in seven times the Wanderers TV Ratings.

If Big Bash ever goes to a full season (ie more than 8 weeks), then the Aleague are going to have some issues. Cricket remains the great unifier of Australian sport - it doesnt matter whether you follow the AFL or Rugby league - in the summer a hell of a lot of these people transition over to Cricket.

World Cup is a little harder to call, but ask again mid next year. Same with tests, the Ashes generally rates better than other series.

ref:

More than the attendance for Melbourne V Port Adelaide and 19 other AFL games this year.
wow looked much much much smaller on tv

not many afl games are below that, you must be looking at the GWS home games or the ones that are held in regional areas/tassie

• melbourne v Port was at Traeger Park in Alice Springs
  • melbourne v fremantle in Darwin
  • 3 GWS home games at Manuka
  • 7 GWS home games at Spotless
  • 4 Gold Coast home games at metricon
  • 2 North home games at Bellerive

• melbourne v Port was at Traeger Park in Alice Springs
  • melbourne v fremantle in Darwin
  • 3 GWS home games at Manuka
  • 7 GWS home games at Spotless
  • 4 Gold Coast home games at metricon
  • 2 North home games at Bellerive

exactly my point. you cant compare 2 emerging markets with two new expansion teams and regional areas to sport in melbourne. people in melbourne love their sport.

13k and they want a stadium that holds 60k...are they for real?

wow looked much much much smaller on tv

not many afl games are below that, you must be looking at the GWS home games or the ones that are held in regional areas/tassie

True. But as I stated before, I am a supporter of multiple football codes and I don't subscribe to the tit-for-tat code v code arguments.
However it must be some concern for the AFL attempting to establish GWS in an area where there is huge football participation at the junior level. The Wanderers recent ACL success will only serve to cement their influence in this catchment area.

exactly my point. you cant compare 2 emerging markets with two new expansion teams and regional areas to sport in melbourne. people in melbourne love their sport.

13k and they want a stadium that holds 60k...are they for real?

The stadium is not just for A-League. What about NRL state of Origin games, national team games in football, union, league, Asian Cup/ Champions Leagues, guest events eg Juventus, Man City etc? The MCG is not a great venue to view games traditionally played on rectangular pitches.

Government built the Sports & Entertainment Centre, Tennis Centre, Hockey Centre , Baseball facility etc.

True. But as I stated before, I am a supporter of multiple football codes and I don't subscribe to the tit-for-tat code v code arguments.
However it must be some concern for the AFL attempting to establish GWS in an area where there is huge football participation at the junior level. The Wanderers recent ACL success will only serve to cement their influence in this catchment area.

you dont subscribe to the tit-for-tad code v code argument, but you then go on to compare GWS (AFL) to Wanderers (A League)

previous post you compare games interstate/regional games to melbourne city

right....

for every wanders v gws, i could raise a port adelaide/adelaide v adelaide united. wce/freo v glory.

hell compare gold coast united to gold coast suns

The stadium is not just for A-League. What about NRL state of Origin games, national team games in football, union, league, Asian Cup/ Champions Leagues, guest events eg Juventus, Man City etc? The MCG is not a great venue to view games traditionally played on rectangular pitches.

Government built the Sports & Entertainment Centre, Tennis Centre, Hockey Centre , Baseball facility etc.

isnt that what etihad is there for?

turn on your tv now and look at the attendance for the national league game...you dont need a 60k stadium

The big bash ratings are very impressive but as are the crowds considering the majority of the matches are played on weeknights. The a league is proving to be a good summer filler but I can assure you in melbourne it drifts to irrelevance when the footy returns, I attended the melbourne victory v Sydney fc elimination final back in April, it was del piero last game in the a league, the crowd was 20,000, crap atmosphere in a very empty feeling stadium, you could just tell afl was back and all the attention had shifted, the same match in October/November would probably attract double the crowd. Let's also not forget the FFA shifted the august start date for the A league from august to October so they can just waltz in when the established codes finish.

Western Sydney Wanderers are the best club team in the biggest continent in the world given they won the Champions League earlier this morning. I hope GWS can manage a win or two next season :$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back