AFL Cairns - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Saint a teacher and Quagmire fat now thats funny. Its like saying that Nick Maxwell is a good captain or Melbourne are a good team.

Glen, it is Richard here, just letting you know mate, so you can stop calling Dontargue me, ok,

whilst i am on here, congrats to all the award winners on Monday, and good luck to the Saints teams and Norths boys,

looking foward to a good weekend of local footy,

cheers,

This thread hasn't improved any has it now.
yes it has Plugger!! Where have you been?

Dontargue - Does that make Withers a plodder? and Gribble? and Bradford? I would not call those players plodders at all, I reckon all 3 of them together are the best midfield in the competition. Powell is probably quicker than all of those players. I think plodder is the wrong word, maybe stay at home midfielder? Clearance player?

Refused transfer (Richard) - Did I see Wayne Bowes in a Saints shirt the other week? more clubs than titleist.

Go back to retirement Quaggy and Saint. Fat Teachers;)

Driese and Churchill (goal kicking half forward with the interesting hair do) will be the big players for Hawks this weekend..

How are the selections looking this week? Saints only have Fitzpatrick and Hislop unavailable at the moment.

Watsons - Does not having the seniors in the final help with selection for the 2's or not? ie - do a few players come in to the side or go out due to not being qualified?

yes it has Plugger!! Where have you been?

Sadly I've been down south, Townsville specifically for work. Good to see a Grand Final rematch of last year, hopefully the mighty Hawks will do what they did last time. Then the week after hopefully I'll be at the MCG watching Sydney defeat Hawthorn. ;)

Are Fitzy and Bogga hoildaying somewhere down the east coast together? Not missing anything from Mad Monday with those two unavailable. Neither has played in half a season, though Bogga did get some league votes.

PS, Dontargue, Bogga was the epitome of a plodder. Him and Withers wouldn't leave the centre square all day,if you could get Bogga out of the shade. Played like a seagull, but he was just hiding from the sun on the flanks.

Powell gets 'unders' at Hawks and has done for years. I was responding to the comment regarding Powell from Saints.

As for being a school teacher, we call all you saints school teachers, for a number of reasons. And as for Quagmire being chubby, it was reference to the chubby kid that dropped his lollipop crying over it.

Please fellas, if you are unable to grasp any other adult speak on here, just ask a grown up to decipher it for you.

Watsons - Does not having the seniors in the final help with selection for the 2's or not? ie - do a few players come in to the side or go out due to not being qualified?[/quote]
I think we get 2 of the young fellas back and maybe 1 or 2 from injury. Not sure it will be enough, but we will see....
1's Saints 80 points, MacQueen medal
2's Norths 3 points S. Kris medal

Watsons - Does not having the seniors in the final help with selection for the 2's or not? ie - do a few players come in to the side or go out due to not being qualified?
I think we get 2 of the young fellas back and maybe 1 or 2 from injury. Not sure it will be enough, but we will see....
1's Saints 80 points, MacQueen medal
2's Norths 3 points S. Kris medal[/quote]

My K.I.S.S. of DEATH :eek:

Seniors Saints write your own ticket with the bookie ------- cannot see a choke on the horizon

Magoo's Saints, would love the Tigers but carn't see them getting up

I stand corrected, sorry
Im wondering, does an "incentive" payment every week not consitute match payments? I think we are all a bit tired of the Saints line "we dont pay players"....or perhaps I have grown cynical seeing them thump everyone week after week. Actually its probably jealousy...!
Well done Powell on the medal, quality player, plodder or not. I was dismayed to see Lewis only poll in 4 or 5 games, he takes 20 marks, kicks 13 goals, clearly dominates a game & gets one vote..? I know he wasnt on the winning team very often but I what goes through umpires minds?
Saints will win both grades by a considerable margin, I just cant see them slipping as they did last year. Lets all hope the CAFL will review the points system as we have discussed or come up with some ideas in this area.

It's amazing what can happen when a team knows they are the outright underdog. It's freedom to give all without pressure of expectation or failure. Given Saints are $1.01 to win, the only expectation Hawks have is to show up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im wondering, does an "incentive" payment every week not consitute match payments? I think we are all a bit tired of the Saints line "we dont pay players"....or perhaps I have grown cynical seeing them thump everyone week after week. Actually its probably jealousy...!
Well done Powell on the medal, quality player, plodder or not. I was dismayed to see Lewis only poll in 4 or 5 games, he takes 20 marks, kicks 13 goals, clearly dominates a game & gets one vote..? I know he wasnt on the winning team very often but I what goes through umpires minds?
Saints will win both grades by a considerable margin, I just cant see them slipping as they did last year. Lets all hope the CAFL will review the points system as we have discussed or come up with some ideas in this area.

Hear hear!

Lewis' lack of votes is proof the umpires should not be vote givers as they haven't a clue!

A system of points akin to the draft order is a fantastic and fair way to even up the competition.

Hear hear!

Lewis' lack of votes is proof the umpires should not be vote givers as they haven't a clue!

A system of points akin to the draft order is a fantastic and fair way to even up the competition.

I can see Saints supporters screaming about that.

"We got them to play for us,

WHY should we be Penalised in a system if you cannot get players yourself ? " :oops::eek:

I can see Saints supporters screaming about that.

"We got them to play for us,

WHY should we be Penalised in a system if you cannot get players yourself ? " :oops::eek:

No club should be penalized for recruiting good players. Why would just Saints be unhappy about that. And what constitutes a good player anyway. Just because they played AFL doesn't mean they will come back and dominate lower leagues. You start making players play for teams they dont want to then they will stop coming all together.

No club should be penalized for recruiting good players. Why would just Saints be unhappy about that. And what constitutes a good player anyway. Just because they played AFL doesn't mean they will come back and dominate lower leagues. You start making players play for teams they dont want to then they will stop coming all together.

It's a trade off that has to happen. I dont think there would be many that find themselves in that position and it would be upto the teams to know their points limits and recruit accordingly. Its just another version of the salary cap. A player may not want to play for a club that pays less either, but if the cap doesn't allow them to go to the club that already has reached it's cap, then this club has recruited well to fill it and no must rely on their ability to turn that team into a finals threat.

It's obviously a lot easier to monitor and enforce than a salary cap and would even up the competiton. I'm saying this as a supporter of a club that has recruited well in the past and I have no problem with it.

Because of the persistent 5 goal breeze at Cazalys, no game there, particularly a Grand Final, is ever a done deal. A bad quarter with the breeze can make coming back from the defecit very difficult.

Hawks play Cazalys best and if we learnt anything from the last decade of Grand Finals, it's that anything can happen.

As for the points system, it's a bit difficult since the city is a one league town. Most recruits come here to play with friends. They wouldn't come to the league at all if they couldn't play with their mates. Any system that restricted recruiting from outside the region would only hamper the league as a whole.

I still think rewarding junior development is better than punishing good recruiting or good performance.

Because of the persistent 5 goal breeze at Cazalys, no game there, particularly a Grand Final, is ever a done deal. A bad quarter with the breeze can make coming back from the defecit very difficult.

Hawks play Cazalys best and if we learnt anything from the last decade of Grand Finals, it's that anything can happen.

as for the points system, it's a bit difficult since the city is a one league town. Most recruits come here to play with friends. They wouldn't come to the league at all if they couldn't play with their mates. Any system that restricted recruiting from outside the region would only hamper the league as a whole.

I still think rewarding junior development is better than punishing good recruiting or good performance.

This is something all clubs have been trying too do for quite awhile

Can't believe myself saying this but credit where credit is due

Saints MUST BE commended

for starting with the lower grades and increasing as they get older.:thumbsu:

As it stands, when outsiders look at the league and the results, ladder percentages etc, they see a minor league with hidings every week. This alone would keep just as many players from coming to Cairns as anything else. I know I have defended the league among friends who check the scores periodically and think this. They need a lot of convincing that the league is more than just a minor bush comp at the top of a non AFL state, and even when I have argued my case, I'm still not sure that I've convinced them.

Yes teams recruit well, for many reasons, not always because they are talented recruiters, some because of money offers, facilities, some sell the lifestyle or maybe able to offer a job etc. But I don't think you can argue against a better competition would lure better players. Yes Saint, you guys at Saints may lose your domination due to your methods of recruitment being evened up, but for the betterment of the competition and AFL development in Cairns in general, a more even league is a must.

Junior development must continue to be a feature of all clubs, but at even the most well run leagues in the heart of Victoria, junior clubs usually only produce a handful of senior players in each year. These must still be supplemented with recruiting.

I'm not sure of the points but maybe the following for each ladder positions:-
1. 36 points
2. 36 points (both in a grand final, both same points next year)
3. 37
4. 38
5. 40 (outside the four, add an extra point)
6. 42
7. 44 (8 points more than 1st)

It will need serious thought as to the actual points but it's a template to improve on.

I thought the points were only based on not recruiting from within the league. Looking at the ladder, the highest point teams are at the bottom (Lions). Saints get their players from country leagues in Vic, just like half the other teams. Souths and Port got all their players this year from country Vic.

Since the top side hasn't won a flag in years, the problem of uneven-ness is at the bottom, not the top.

This year is a one-off that a team has been dominant, but Saints have still lost a game this year and the GF hasn't been played, which is where upsets occur most. There are plenty of leagues where teams go undefeated and nobody changes the rules for a one-off season.

You've missed the point, its not about making players go to clubs they dont want or penalising them etc, we all admire the culture built at Saints that enables their recuiting but we need to give the lower sides an opportunity to recuit the odd proven footballer from within the league etc to strengthen. As it stands we cant do that. A draft style points system will allow clubs that struggle to attract this type of leader to assist in re-building, Ive known footballers that have had success & then look for a challenge, we have to give the teams consistantly outside the finals a chance to be competetive.....

I thought the points were only based on not recruiting from within the league. Looking at the ladder, the highest point teams are at the bottom (Lions). Saints get their players from country leagues in Vic, just like half the other teams. Souths and Port got all their players this year from country Vic.

Since the top side hasn't won a flag in years, the problem of uneven-ness is at the bottom, not the top.

This year is a one-off that a team has been dominant, but Saints have still lost a game this year and the GF hasn't been played, which is where upsets occur most. There are plenty of leagues where teams go undefeated and nobody changes the rules for a one-off season.
Perhaps some people need to realise there are other colours in this comp, not just red, white & black....

Sadly I've been down south, Townsville specifically for work. Good to see a Grand Final rematch of last year, hopefully the mighty Hawks will do what they did last time. Then the week after hopefully I'll be at the MCG watching Sydney defeat Hawthorn. ;)
Sorry to rain on your parade Plugger, but I think Hawthorne will take home the flag this year mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back