AFL Cairns -- Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, lets get back to the football. How about we all have our opinion on the following & why..

Premier: Souths, Port and Saints all in with a good show!
Crathern medal: Bill English
Most Improved team: Souths
Disapointing Team: Centrals, after all the ins, hardly fired a shot
Best player in comp 2015: Jessie Dixon or Zac Ewer

Would have to agree with most of what you said CCL, I still think Saints will end up with the gong. The old war horses will lift to the occasion. I think the Crathern is wide open to be honest, however I think Billy English might be a chance. Centrals would definitely be the disappointment of the season, they went out and recruited strongly during the off season but couldn't come up with the jobs. I don't think Norths were the worst, they had their off field drama's which certainly did help them out but they're still there abouts. Lions have certainly improved from previous seasons and have recruited well and using Brennan for his cameo appearances.

Dubya has been in the top 5 placings for quite a few seasons now , would be a fitting reward for a stalwart of the game and South Cairns as his career starts to wind done. Team mate Smith who should break the Ton mark MAY just take away votes.

My early kiss of death for the GF ---- Souths v Saints , D. Lock will quietly go about chatting to each preparing them for the big day --- 11 years between drinks. We owe Saints a beating in a GF after we blew it a few yrs ago against them.

Port are my pick for the flag to many options up forward, may be a bit quicker than saints and a bit harder and more intensity at the footy than Souths.

what about who will win the rising star?!?

hard one?

- Ashley Davidson (Port)
- Mugzy Mooka (Hawks)
- Daniel Smith (Centrals)
- Joel Karwan (Lions)

South Cairns will choke as they have in the past.

Port Douglas have no chance, they don't have the ticker or the attitude to win a grand final.

Cairns Saints may be getting a bit old in the tooth but they have the experience and the gile to get them over the line.

As for the Rising Star, although Manunda have plenty of nominees and god knows one of them deserves it the club are on the nose with CAFL and will find it hard to have a winner. Ashley Davidson would have to go close purely on the way people think and because I'm cynical.

Port Douglas have no chance, they don't have the ticker or the attitude to win a grand final.

Cairns Saints may be getting a bit old in the tooth but they have the experience and the gile to get them over the line.

As for the Rising Star, although Manunda have plenty of nominees and god knows one of them deserves it the club are on the nose with CAFL and will find it hard to have a winner. Ashley Davidson would have to go close purely on the way people think and because I'm cynical.

Interesting thoughts there Mullet.

what about who will win the rising star?!?

hard one?

- Ashley Davidson (Port)
- Mugzy Mooka (Hawks)
- Daniel Smith (Centrals)
- Joel Karwan (Lions)

Jack Bowes has played HFF and Midfield at Saints all year other than when he was away for state u16s and played for Gold Coast Suns reserves. Fair effort in a side that has only lost three games for the season. Has any other nominees represented a state side this yr in their rightful age group (karwan played in the u16 side with Bowes but he was an overage player), played GC reserves or been given an AIS scholarship?? If the award is for a rising star as the name states Bowes should be a $1.01 favourite.

South better players this year are new to the club so what happened in the past wont play a role unless it gets to Lock. Port have shown all year that their attitude is first class the way they apply the full ground press. Will it work on Cazalys is the question. And Saints obviously have the advantage of the majority being there before and even the Tassie guys have played in a flag so know what it takes... Great finals series coming up with any of the top 3 a chance..

League medal wise my tip is Zac Ewer (Souths) with Rohan Couch (Saints) and Matt Walsh (Saints) to fill the places. Jack Phillip (saints) and Tom Clough (Port) could also suprise

Jack Bowes has played HFF and Midfield at Saints all year other than when he was away for state u16s and played for Gold Coast Suns reserves. Fair effort in a side that has only lost three games for the season. Has any other nominees represented a state side this yr in their rightful age group (karwan played in the u16 side with Bowes but he was an overage player), played GC reserves or been given an AIS scholarship?? If the award is for a rising star as the name states Bowes should be a $1.01 favourite.
Fair call, have to agree with that. Keep an eye out for Essy Frank, 16 year old playing for Lions now and represented NT under 16 this year. His dad Gerry was as a gun & he will be too. Both him & Joel Karwan had more impact than Bowes on the weekend, but to be fair he looked a little tired and didn't have to do much in a very solid team win for Saints.

Bowes is a second rate player at best. His achievements may sound good on paper but after watching him play many times his performance is mediocre at best; an opinion many others hold and it honestly seems he is being highlighted to stand out. Both his performance at the game last Saturday and the way he played for the state side further proves this point. In the former he barely touched the ball as Cairns City Lion said. His performance for the state team was another average exploit, with his name not being in any write ups nor did he make it into the best players. These reasons alone prove that he should not have even been a candidate for the AIS and the write up for that drew on past endeavours that had nothing to do with the scholarship nor the state side making it even more laughable. The two other Cairns boys that went down; Karwan and Watson, played much better than him and along with many others players that did not make the AIS, earned a spot over Bowes. As for the rising star, Izzy Frank, Ashley Davidson, Karwan and Mugsy Mooka have shown themselves to be much better candidates for the award as they all possess real footy skills. Bowes is just another overrated pretty boy who does not have to do anything to gain achievements.

Dont forget these guys are still kids so having a crack at them on here isnt really called for (something I have learned in the past). Bowes has been a consistent performer in one of the better teams for the year while most of the other boys play for the weaker teams and would probably struggle to get a game with a top team. I could go into why but that isnt really called for. These boys are doing a great job playing senior footy at their age and will no doubt grow up to be very good senior footballers.

Dont forget these guys are still kids so having a crack at them on here isnt really called for (something I have learned in the past). Bowes has been a consistent performer in one of the better teams for the year while most of the other boys play for the weaker teams and would probably struggle to get a game with a top team. I could go into why but that isnt really called for. These boys are doing a great job playing senior footy at their age and will no doubt grow up to be very good senior footballers.
I wasn't bagging Jack, we would love to have him in our side as would any team in Cairns (bit harsh Chocolate 22). I reckon coming back to local footy after doing well for GC reserves you would be a little flat. The Lions v Saints game actually showcased a lot of colts talent, with Daniel Charlesworth, Tyron Ahmet & Lachie Smith also doing well on the day. Lions had 5 16 yr olds playing & they all had a real crack. With an average age of very low 20's I hoping our team has a lot to look forward too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bowes is a second rate player at best. His achievements may sound good on paper but after watching him play many times his performance is mediocre at best; an opinion many others hold and it honestly seems he is being highlighted to stand out. Both his performance at the game last Saturday and the way he played for the state side further proves this point. In the former he barely touched the ball as Cairns City Lion said. His performance for the state team was another average exploit, with his name not being in any write ups nor did he make it into the best players. These reasons alone prove that he should not have even been a candidate for the AIS and the write up for that drew on past endeavours that had nothing to do with the scholarship nor the state side making it even more laughable. The two other Cairns boys that went down; Karwan and Watson, played much better than him and along with many others players that did not make the AIS, earned a spot over Bowes. As for the rising star, Izzy Frank, Ashley Davidson, Karwan and Mugsy Mooka have shown themselves to be much better candidates for the award as they all possess real footy skills. Bowes is just another overrated pretty boy who does not have to do anything to gain achievements.

You sound like you must be one of the other boy's dad's? Take your kids 'spot' did he?

You sound like you must be one of the other boy's dad's? Take your kids 'spot' did he?
Yeah fairly harsh to be calling a 17-18 year old kid, who has held a senior spot in a pretty good team, a'2nd rate player at best'. Kids playing seniors can be made to look ordinary but getting early games in against the men can only fast track their improvement.
Anyway my picks: Flag- Port. Just got a feeling about them, think they will play Cazalys well and maybe that extra week off will help freshen them in the run in. Wasn't overly impressed with the Cutters on Saturday, we certainly had them scrambling half way thru the last quarter and the feeling amongst their crowd is that they almost expect to win it. Will be under huge pressure if they happen to lose their semi and face a sudden death prelim. Saints, will of course be there abouts but I reckon Port have them covered on the outside which is so important at headquarters, I've been around long enough not to write them off though. Norths, I honestly don't think we can win it, but I saw enough on Saturday to suggest that the top 3 will be fighting hard to secure the double chance and avoid playing us in a knock out final. We have adjusted to Arnfields style now and have improved steadily over the last 6 weeks(Hawks game aside). Beware the sleeping tiger!
Crathern: Probably the most open one for a few years but I'll keep my yellow and black on and say Adam Mueller. Have watched him closely over the last few weeks and the bloke is an absolute jet. We probably over use him at times but he just keeps getting it and in the majority of our wins, he has been up there in the best.
Not sure about rising star but I reckon Heath Molloy will end up the best of the lot of 'em.

No, I didn't say Watson and Karwan deserved a spot in the AIS. Neither of them were in the top players either, I said they played better than Bowes and deserved it more than him. Read into this what you want, but I am a complete third party outsider who has observed this for a long time. My main point was, how can he stand around in a game and still have excuses made for him, how can he not even be mentioned for the state side nor stand out in any of the games and make AIS? Call me a conspiracy theorist but it sounds a bit off to me.

Wow I can't believe choc22 that you would even get on a forum like this at pot a kid this way. I think Gerry is spot on and you are either a jealous father or a player who has missed out on something because Jack was better. You should really be ashamed of yourself and to be frank a lot embarrassed for your comments.
All of the boys mentioned here are outstanding kids and good footballers.
City Lion I believe you have an outstanding talent out there who could rival Bowes and others when he is nominated and that is Daniel Charlesworth. Not only a class player but and outstanding young man and hopefully he earns a nomination soon.
We must remember and I know this means nothing to the award but in terms of development both Karwan and Davidson are a year older when you look at draftable age, than the trio of Mugzy Mooka, Charlesworth and Bowes.

Wow I can't believe choc22 that you would even get on a forum like this at pot a kid this way. I think Gerry is spot on and you are either a jealous father or a player who has missed out on something because Jack was better. You should really be ashamed of yourself and to be frank a lot embarrassed for your comments.
All of the boys mentioned here are outstanding kids and good footballers.
City Lion I believe you have an outstanding talent out there who could rival Bowes and others when he is nominated and that is Daniel Charlesworth. Not only a class player but and outstanding young man and hopefully he earns a nomination soon.
We must remember and I know this means nothing to the award but in terms of development both Karwan and Davidson are a year older when you look at draftable age, than the trio of Mugzy Mooka, Charlesworth and Bowes.
Yep, Daniel is a beauty, great kid & nice family. He has the ability to go all the way I believe. We should embrace the fact that there is so much awesome young talent coming through the ranks at all our clubs.

I wasn't bagging Jack, we would love to have him in our side as would any team in Cairns (bit harsh Chocolate 22). I reckon coming back to local footy after doing well for GC reserves you would be a little flat. The Lions v Saints game actually showcased a lot of colts talent, with Daniel Charlesworth, Tyron Ahmet & Lachie Smith also doing well on the day. Lions had 5 16 yr olds playing & they all had a real crack. With an average age of very low 20's I hoping our team has a lot to look forward too.

I think Hawks have a 15 year old playing in the A's.

Any truth to the rumour that Hawks are going to forfeit this week against South Cairns just so Smith can't kick his 100???

[QMullet 69, post: 34647267, member: 155700"]Any truth to the rumour that Hawks are going to forfeit this week against South Cairns just so Smith can't kick his 100???[/QUOTE]
I seriously doubt that. What a stupid thing to say. If incredibly you are right AFL Cairns should throw the book at them. But i doubt it will come to that.

Yep, Daniel is a beauty, great kid & nice family. He has the ability to go all the way I believe.

We should embrace the fact that there is so much awesome young talent coming through the ranks at all our clubs.

Well said , I totally agree, that fact all Cairns clubs are developing their juniors for the future should be applauded , plus there should NO sniping on who's better / deserves this & that . They are still under age footballers learning the trade

Any truth to the rumour that Hawks are going to forfeit this week against South Cairns just so Smith can't kick his 100???

Hawks might have a few injuries but I'm more than sure they will put a team on the paddock. The team will be mostly kids.

Kiss of death for this week -

Hawks V Cutters - With so many injuries and senior people away, the young Hawks outfit will be up against it. One positive to come out of tomorrow, the young fella's will gain an incredible amount of experience. On another note, Hawks have named a 15yr old at full forward.

Centrals V Lions - Even with the locals doing an Emu bob in the morning to clear up the terds, I don't think it will be enough to get the Bulldogs over the line. On paper, Lions should win this easily.

Saints V Port - Match of the round, should be a cracker of a game. I have to lean towards Saints but only because they're at home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back