AFL Canberra Div3/Div2

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to continue our ways at Clarke Oval yesty. Pleasing aspects were the on field discipline, intensity and commitment to the contest. Our big forwards are continuing to dominate and the crumbers are getting in on the action. Credit to the Goulburn side who were well below there best. They remain a quality outfit, well coached and with a few guys to return will structure up solid for the finals series. Can dominate a dress up theme as well! Hope it was a ripping bus trip!
Exciting times out at Cootamundra .

What's the format of finals? 1st gets a week off?

Idiot, forgot the finals draw was posted a couple of pages back, never mind.

So Yass plays Coota last round, which will likely decide top spot.

By my reckoning, it'll be Coota with the week off, Yass v Goulburn and Ainslie v Cooma...

Should be a couple of pretty interesting games, with the Yass-Goulburn rivalry and our draw with Cooma earlier in the year...

Exciting times out at Cootamundra .
Looks very exciting. I don't think anyone will get near them. Goulburn looked under strength but that margin is massive. Will be interested to see the Yass and Coota result next week.

With Coota being so dominant will they look to push up a grade next year? Speaking to a mate he reckons they have quite a hefty budget. I wouldn't think any other teams pay players in Div 2 or 3?

With the top 5 locked in for Div 3 anyone see an upset occurring. Are Yass good enough? What's going on at Goulburn? Even Cooma seemed to have dropped off a bit.

The juggs look solid in the 2's. Ainslie could be the ones if any to knock them off

Looks very exciting. I don't think anyone will get near them. Goulburn looked under strength but that margin is massive. Will be interested to see the Yass and Coota result next week.

With Coota being so dominant will they look to push up a grade next year? Speaking to a mate he reckons they have quite a hefty budget. I wouldn't think any other teams pay players in Div 2 or 3?

With the top 5 locked in for Div 3 anyone see an upset occurring. Are Yass good enough? What's going on at Goulburn? Even Cooma seemed to have dropped off a bit.

The juggs look solid in the 2's. Ainslie could be the ones if any to knock them off

Drop punt .We pay our captain Shaneo and his worth every cent (sometimes) He is contracted to Yass for the 14 ,15 season and if he doesn't play on next year we plan to sue him for the full value of the contracts worth .We have a lawyer amid our playing group and as Shaneo has hinted that this will be he's last I sought out his advice .I'm advised and readily believe that if he breaks his contract it will have a huge bearing on the Aussie Hotels future :drunk: .And for the record he's contract is two schooners a game and a free game on the pubs shooting game for each of his oldest boys .I hope the league don't now investigate us for salary cap breaches . :D

Idiot, forgot the finals draw was posted a couple of pages back, never mind.

So Yass plays Coota last round, which will likely decide top spot.

By my reckoning, it'll be Coota with the week off, Yass v Goulburn and Ainslie v Cooma...

Should be a couple of pretty interesting games, with the Yass-Goulburn rivalry and our draw with Cooma earlier in the year...

Ainslie can still get knocked out if they drop both their remaining games, but very much see Tuggers pulling off a massive upset unlikely.
Molonglo and Cooma both have one more win in div 3 then is showing as the league hasn't updated for their forfeit wins against Belco and Eastlake respectively yet. So the fight for 5th spot between Southcoast, AInsle and Molonglo (mathematically) is still alive.

Last edited:

In 2s I would back a Batemans Bay vs Molonglo Final, really hard fought game on the weekend played at a grand final intensity, could have gone either way, with both sides missing 4-5 key players, great game you would have expected from the 1 v 2 game.
Full credit to the South Coast boys too, sticking around to come back to our club for a few beers and presso on a sunday night.

Ainslie can still get knocked out if they drop both their remaining games, but very much see Tuggers pulling off a massive upset unlikely.
Molonglo and Cooma both have one more win in div 3 then is showing as the league hasn't updated for their forfeit wins against Belco and Eastlake respectively yet. So the fight for 5th spot between Southcoast, AInsle and Molonglo (mathematically) is still alive.

It looks like on the ladder the win losses numbers are up to date, but the pts aren't. Molongolo would have to win both and ainslie lose both, and Molongolo to make up 25% for them to get in, still mathematically possible.

South Coast are out of the race, no? 10 points down, no forfeits for them?

South Coast are out of the race, no? 10 points down, no forfeits for them?
Yeah, I stand corrected, they are, the ladder has some issues, they have put the wins in for the forfeits but the win points havnt carried through to the total points. The 5 is basically set unless Molonglo get some massive wins and Ainsle have some catastrophic loses, seeing as they have tuggers next week and Molonglo have Yass it is basically set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Nov, I notice Heath didn't play on the weekend and Ramez hasn't played for months. What's happening mate are they still around?

Drop punt I don't think throwing money around in div 2 or 3 is doing anyone any good. I'm not having a go at anyone here but I was involved with Coota in 2000. They had been bottom of farrar league for a few years and opened up the cheque book. A lot of money was pain in this league but Coota bought in about 10 new recruits on decent money. We made the prelim final which was a great result from the previous years but all of those recruits left the following year and Coota started getting flogged again and within a few years they couldn't field a reserves team and the seniors were getting beaten badly. 49 goals to 3 points against temora and were evicted from the farrar league. If they do win the flag this year , I'm worried similar will happen again the following year. Coota were very strong when they beat Yass after trailing all game but then to top up with a few more players before clearances close was confusing to me. I worry for the local kids and the juniors ( they have a very good junior structure ) how would the locals feel if they are training there buts off but don't get a game because of the wagga and Canberra recruits who don't train at all ( well the Canberra guys don't but not sure about the wagga contingent ) if they do have a lot of money to throw around ( mainly from a lot of hard work from the club and comittee ) would it not be better to try and form two teams again and compete in the farrar league again. There is money at a lot of footy clubs but honestly winning a premiership under these circumstances against clubs that don't pay any players. Also worry for the locals greeting a game and training and knowing the others are getting paid I don't think it would breed much morale and teamwork. Again it's not a crack at Coota specifically but any club that would feel the need to do this to obtain success. This division is about mates playing together that have been together at the same club for a while and build success not buy it. Ainslie and molongolo and cooma are teams that come to mind. When I started at Yass about 6 years ago ainslie didn't have a team and sorry but cooma and molongolo ( Murrumbidgee) were pretty ordinary and I have seen them get better and better every year since. Cooma leading the charge making finals for last few years. Ainslie also were easy beats in first year but have improved in leaps and bounds and now play in their first div 3 finals. The weirdest part is Coota have been around the mark for a long time now except last year so I'm not sure why the need to change so much in one season. Success is built on teamwork hardwork and also sustainability not financial ability. Each to there own but that's just my thoughts on this topic. In saying that I'm still confident Yass at their full strength and spirit will be hard to beat. Again great work to ainslie on making the 5

So my question is how do we even know that Cootamundra is throwing around the cash ? It would seem to me that certain posters on here have an axe to grind. I played against Cootamundra in 06 when Belconnen beat them in the Grand Final at Manuka .In that year they had a player called James Quarmby or chum as he was known, and rumour was he was on $ 5000 dollars for the season. After a chance meeting with him I asked him if it was rite all he could do was laugh and say he wished it was rite. He in fact got a case a beer a match from the pub sponsor and a little bit of fuel money from the committee. So again how is it that we now know they are handing out the cash.

So my question is how do we even know that Cootamundra is throwing around the cash ? It would seem to me that certain posters on here have an axe to grind. I played against Cootamundra in 06 when Belconnen beat them in the Grand Final at Manuka .In that year they had a player called James Quarmby or chum as he was known, and rumour was he was on $ 5000 dollars for the season. After a chance meeting with him I asked him if it was rite all he could do was laugh and say he wished it was rite. He in fact got a case a beer a match from the pub sponsor and a little bit of fuel money from the committee. So again how is it that we now know they are handing out the cash.
I think if you bought in the laws of probability you would have to think they would be paying for the quality of players they have on board. These players could warrant good $ in wagga at higher levels and also Canberra and do you really think they would just play and travel over to cootamundra for nothing or even a case of beer. Not axe to grind here as I have played at Coota , my wife and her family lived in Coota all there life and I dj'd at Coota every Friday for 3 years and have some good friends their. I was just worried that what happened in 2000 may be repeating itself ?

Drop punt I don't think throwing money around in div 2 or 3 is doing anyone any good. I'm not having a go at anyone here but I was involved with Coota in 2000. They had been bottom of farrar league for a few years and opened up the cheque book. A lot of money was pain in this league but Coota bought in about 10 new recruits on decent money. We made the prelim final which was a great result from the previous years but all of those recruits left the following year and Coota started getting flogged again and within a few years they couldn't field a reserves team and the seniors were getting beaten badly. 49 goals to 3 points against temora and were evicted from the farrar league. If they do win the flag this year , I'm worried similar will happen again the following year. Coota were very strong when they beat Yass after trailing all game but then to top up with a few more players before clearances close was confusing to me. I worry for the local kids and the juniors ( they have a very good junior structure ) how would the locals feel if they are training there buts off but don't get a game because of the wagga and Canberra recruits who don't train at all ( well the Canberra guys don't but not sure about the wagga contingent ) if they do have a lot of money to throw around ( mainly from a lot of hard work from the club and comittee ) would it not be better to try and form two teams again and compete in the farrar league again. There is money at a lot of footy clubs but honestly winning a premiership under these circumstances against clubs that don't pay any players. Also worry for the locals greeting a game and training and knowing the others are getting paid I don't think it would breed much morale and teamwork. Again it's not a crack at Coota specifically but any club that would feel the need to do this to obtain success. This division is about mates playing together that have been together at the same club for a while and build success not buy it. Ainslie and molongolo and cooma are teams that come to mind. When I started at Yass about 6 years ago ainslie didn't have a team and sorry but cooma and molongolo ( Murrumbidgee) were pretty ordinary and I have seen them get better and better every year since. Cooma leading the charge making finals for last few years. Ainslie also were easy beats in first year but have improved in leaps and bounds and now play in their first div 3 finals. The weirdest part is Coota have been around the mark for a long time now except last year so I'm not sure why the need to change so much in one season. Success is built on teamwork hardwork and also sustainability not financial ability. Each to there own but that's just my thoughts on this topic. In saying that I'm still confident Yass at their full strength and spirit will be hard to beat. Again great work to ainslie on making the 5

Probably the most sense I've heard you speak Ando Also wasn't a crack at Coota just wanted to see what most clubs do in the Divs. Wouldn't expect any to pay outside of their coach (usually that would be to cover phone bills) I'd expect

Definitely no axe to grind here. Think its great to see Coota doing well!

I was just inquiring if anyone pays as I'd be interested to know. It may not be true but to be one of those people I've heard from a fairly reliable source they have a budget. Also was interested to see if its true whether as a club they will look to push up a grade or maybe look at joining a comp closer to them. As Ando said they have some quality players and their results have been very impressive

Probably the most sense I've heard you speak Ando Also wasn't a crack at Coota just wanted to see what most clubs do in the Divs. Wouldn't expect any to pay outside of their coach (usually that would be to cover phone bills) I'd expect
Thanks drop punt , and I don't want this to be a witch hunt just a discussion , let's just say what if a certain team did this , would it be good for the longevity of the club and would it be within the spirit of the game. I coached at east lavington many years ago and our player payments totalled $15000 we played against one club that paid $17000 for their coach alone that year.

Hey Nov, I notice Heath didn't play on the weekend and Ramez hasn't played for months. What's happening mate are they still around?

Hey mate, Rusty will be back this week. Not sure about Dagher, still injured. Hopefully have a couple back in this week and get closer to full strength.

For what its worth we pay our coach a small amount. He gets $1 per dummy spit.. Works out around 12k.

Hey mate, Rusty will be back this week. Not sure about Dagher, still injured. Hopefully have a couple back in this week and get closer to full strength.

For what its worth we pay our coach a small amount. He gets $1 per dummy spit.. Works out around 12k.
Ahhhhahaha

2015 looks like it will be interesting structure wise. With Belconnen and Queanbeyan dropping out of NEAFL they are going to be pushing back through the grades locally. Reckon 4 grades might be back on the cards.

2015 looks like it will be interesting structure wise. With Belconnen and Queanbeyan dropping out of NEAFL they are going to be pushing back through the grades locally. Reckon 4 grades might be back on the cards.

I wonder whether the remaining Eastlake and Ainslie teams in the NEAFL may have to rename themselves to North And South Canberra, and be more of a rep type side to be able to compete in the NEAFL?

3rd Grade Maggy do you think any of your seniors would still want to be involved in the NEAFL? Or do they all despise the competition?
I just wonder as if they still wanted to remain in the system, there are more likely to play for a new rep side called north canberra, then to switch alliances and play for Ainslie?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back