AFL Canberra Season 2015

oily

Debutant
May 11, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
With the new regional grade it would be great if teams got home semi's, I'm sure all teams would like to earn a home semi or GF. I could just imagine cootas home ground last year if the GF was there. Seeing as though it's essentially a stand alone competition maybe this something to look at? Thoughts?

ruck r0v3r

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
All for home semis.... Would be a great way to promote the game and get the whole town down/make it an event etc. Home GF, i dont think so...

oily

Debutant
May 11, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
All for home semis.... Would be a great way to promote the game and get the whole town down/make it an event etc. Home GF, i dont think so...
Lets say its a Yass v Coota GF, do you think it would get a better crowd than either team at their home ground? For what reason do you say no? Just curious.

May 18, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It would be a great spectacle for any of the regional clubs to host a final and potentially a granny.
Last season our side benefited greatly from our loyal supporters who passionately got around the navy blue. Even chartered a few buses to matches late in the season. Was an amazing show of community spirit with businesses decorating the main street in Coota grand final week.
It would be a fantastic opportunity to take finals footy out to the local communities.

Last edited:

ruck r0v3r

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lets say its a Yass v Coota GF, do you think it would get a better crowd than either team at their home ground? For what reason do you say no? Just curious.
Hmm, some good discussion being enjoyed here. Not sure actually... Let us hope that it is a Coota Yass GF in the near future though. That would be great for our game.

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
It would be a great spectacle for any of the regional clubs to host a final and potentially a granny.
Last season our side benefited greatly from our loyal supporters who passionately got around the navy blue. Even chartered a few buses to matches late in the season. Was an amazing show of community spirit with businesses decorating the main street in Coota grand final week.
It would be a fantastic opportunity to take finals footy out to the local communities.

Hello clarkeovalblue Last year you and your blokes got it exactly rite , I mentioned it that here at Yass how the whole town had got behind you blokes, in the week lead up to the Granny I had cause to be in Coota on the Wednesday I was surprised at just how many shops and places had decorated in the navy blue. Here in Yass were AFL is not high on the agenda we didn't have one .Having a granny in Coota would sure make the league sit up and take notice I think .It would be good for the code .However with the thieving robbing buggers at AFL house running the show it will never happen.

Corkies

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hello clarkeovalblue Last year you and your blokes got it exactly rite , I mentioned it that here at Yass how the whole town had got behind you blokes, in the week lead up to the Granny I had cause to be in Coota on the Wednesday I was surprised at just how many shops and places had decorated in the navy blue. Here in Yass were AFL is not high on the agenda we didn't have one .Having a granny in Coota would sure make the league sit up and take notice I think .It would be good for the code .However with the thieving robbing buggers at AFL house running the show it will never happen.

Got to love ol fasion bush footy support!!
I heard someone put a few Coota signs out on the Barton H/way before lasr years GF.

12 Magpies

Debutant
Dec 2, 2011
The nest
AFL Club
Carlton
You'd have to think they'll have another hard look at the division alignments at the end of this year.

Any comments from 12 magpies here? Or has he finally become 12 jets?
Yes unfortunately the club has been forced to pull out the Rising Stars team. I believe they had about mid 30's in numbers for both the U18s and U17s and with nearly all the players eligible for U17s they decided for the kids development it would be better to keep the U17s and fold the Rising Stars. Its a small bump in the road, but we're excited about the young guys coming through and for those that saw, this group knocked off the Belconnen Rising Stars the other week, so they have shown they have a bright future if they all stick together. Next year most of the players will step up into the next age bracket and we'll get our rising stars back up and running. In the meantime we'll develop these kids as much as we can and no doubt some of them will play some senior footy this year which will be super exciting for both the players themselves and the club.
As for another realignment, those that think this is going to be a quick fix are delusional. AFL Canberra have a lot of hard work to do to make Division 1 a strong and competitive competition and bringing clubs into the comp like Gungahlin and hopefully the Wodens and Molonglos eventually, will take time for them to become competitive.

ruck r0v3r

Debutant
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes unfortunately the club has been forced to pull out the Rising Stars team. I believe they had about mid 30's in numbers for both the U18s and U17s and with nearly all the players eligible for U17s they decided for the kids development it would be better to keep the U17s and fold the Rising Stars. Its a small bump in the road, but we're excited about the young guys coming through and for those that saw, this group knocked off the Belconnen Rising Stars the other week, so they have shown they have a bright future if they all stick together. Next year most of the players will step up into the next age bracket and we'll get our rising stars back up and running. In the meantime we'll develop these kids as much as we can and no doubt some of them will play some senior footy this year which will be super exciting for both the players themselves and the club.
As for another realignment, those that think this is going to be a quick fix are delusional. AFL Canberra have a lot of hard work to do to make Division 1 a strong and competitive competition and bringing clubs into the comp like Gungahlin and hopefully the Wodens and Molonglos eventually, will take time for them to become competitive.
I agree, it is going to take time for them to become strong. Stronger, well developed clubs need to pull their weight to ensure the future is rosy for our great code here in the ACT.

May 18, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks southcab. We definitely had some enthralling battles last season and the healthy rivalry is great for country footy. Having started some work in the Yass township myself, I definitely enjoy the characters associated with local sport. Totally agree with your comments. It would be nice to have more presence from the league at our home and away matches and acknowledge the voluntary commitment to the sport.:)

BonythonPython

Draftee
Feb 24, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Just wondering now there is that comp that is regional based do they use club umpires every game and no boundries ? Or has AFL canberra or the umpires association provided some ?

NovIsBack

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Goulburn is still looking for an umpire, we had a cooma club umpire and Stevie A. A couple of young fellas run the boundary at home games. Also retired the number 7 at the start of the game for Steve Armstrong contribution to Aussie rules here.

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
Goulburn is still looking for an umpire, we had a cooma club umpire and Stevie A. A couple of young fellas run the boundary at home games. Also retired the number 7 at the start of the game for Steve Armstrong contribution to Aussie rules here.
Its great to see clubs show so much respect to former participates and Stevie is such a worthy recipient .On another note Nov Ando.s suspension has finished and he can now umpie again would you like his number:D

Plugga28

Debutant
Apr 8, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide

Home game final series would be a great idea, whether a canberra side or a regional one. Makes more sense with such a small number of teams in each division, that nearly everyone makes finals, its good that there is some sort of reward for finishing higher.
The regional sides do their fair share of travel during the year, and if they are good enough to still get there (like they have always done) it is good to be able to reward them.
Coming from a Country Footy league myself, I used to get blown away at the crowds these finals would get.
A neutral grand final venue of course.

Corkies

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Looking forward to an AFL game played on ANZAC Day at Manuka (or star track) oval on the weekend. Dawn service and brekky for me and then footy.
Well done to the ACT government and NSW/ACT AFL for bringing our great game to the capital on such a day as ANZAC Day !!
Lest we forget.

Back