AFL Canberra Season 2015

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
So the latest correspondence from the league received shows that they want 10 teams in Div 3 and 11 in div 4.Coota so far is the only single team club in div3 Yass have been asked to also go up .This I think is most unlikely .So if the league cant get another 1 of the single team clubs to go up to div 3 they are again threatening to place the country teams back into a regional comp. Lets hope this doesn't happen

No interest from Goulburn in going up Nov? Would have thought you guys would be a more obvious candidate than Yass, given the results of last year? Or has there been some player movement?

NovIsBack

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
No interest from Goulburn in going up Nov? Would have thought you guys would be a more obvious candidate than Yass, given the results of last year? Or has there been some player movement?

I know it's the clubs goal to have junior teams and a 2nd senior team, a few retired last year after the win and most of the boys are touching 30 and over. Probably missed the boat to go up a few years ago, this year's GF team was picked from 24 players and we had some games with 18/19 players need to improve e off the field first. That's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
I know it's the clubs goal to have junior teams and a 2nd senior team, a few retired last year after the win and most of the boys are touching 30 and over. Probably missed the boat to go up a few years ago, this year's GF team was picked from 24 players and we had some games with 18/19 players need to improve e off the field first. That's just my opinion from the outside looking in.

Don't think there would be too many players under the age of thirty in the threes mate that's what district footy is all about . Its looking very much like a regional comp again now .If this happens I doubt that Yass will be apart of it. I know that there are mumbles amongst the committee about looking for a new comp to enter. That would have to happen shortly or else it will be to late for this year, and if Yass skip a year I doubt that they could reform .
Hope the league make there decision soon also .

NovIsBack

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
No competition is perfect at our level. I get the two team clubs wanting the "match day experience" but at the expense of the regional teams?

Each regional team play each other twice and the Canberra teams wouldn't have as much burden.

Sydney afl have a heap of clubs that have uneven teams. I hope that aiming for the "perfect" set up doesn't lose the regional clubs when Afl claim to want to grow the game in regional NSW.

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
No competition is perfect at our level. I get the two team clubs wanting the "match day experience" but at the expense of the regional teams?

Each regional team play each other twice and the Canberra teams wouldn't have as much burden.

Sydney afl have a heap of clubs that have uneven teams. I hope that aiming for the "perfect" set up doesn't lose the regional clubs when Afl claim to want to grow the game in regional NSW.

Aren't Tuggeranong notionally the only Canberra team left in the regional comp now?

Surely assimilating all the regional teams into 3s and 4s is for the best? Coota/Goulburn into 3s, Yass/Cooma into 4s? 2 team Canberra sides then cop missing out on the "matchday experience" a couple times a year?

DropPunt12

Debutant
Nov 19, 2011
Here
AFL Club
St Kilda
Aren't Tuggeranong notionally the only Canberra team left in the regional comp now?

Surely assimilating all the regional teams into 3s and 4s is for the best? Coota/Goulburn into 3s, Yass/Cooma into 4s? 2 team Canberra sides then cop missing out on the "matchday experience" a couple times a year?

Sounds easy enough but my understanding is that Goulburn don't think it's in their best interests to go up. Coota have obviously said yes but they have a few more resources $$$ than the other country based teams. From memory ANU 4ths won a few comps over the last few years before moving up so I don't see how whoever goes up will compete with their 3rds. I see why the league wants someone to go up but I see it killing the country teams that go up. As Nov mentioned Goulburn didn't field a full team for every game and this was in a comp they won. Don't see them doing it to often if they're on the end of floggings. Yass and Cooma also struggled for numbers. IMO Coota are not good enough to jump up either.
I don't see what was wrong with the 2014 model. If the league so desperately wants game day experience perhaps they should just tell the regional teams to find another comp so they can have their wonderful 6 team competitions throughout every grade

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Sounds easy enough but my understanding is that Goulburn don't think it's in their best interests to go up. Coota have obviously said yes but they have a few more resources $$$ than the other country based teams. From memory ANU 4ths won a few comps over the last few years before moving up so I don't see how whoever goes up will compete with their 3rds. I see why the league wants someone to go up but I see it killing the country teams that go up. As Nov mentioned Goulburn didn't field a full team for every game and this was in a comp they won. Don't see them doing it to often if they're on the end of floggings. Yass and Cooma also struggled for numbers. IMO Coota are not good enough to jump up either.
I don't see what was wrong with the 2014 model. If the league so desperately wants game day experience perhaps they should just tell the regional teams to find another comp so they can have their wonderful 6 team competitions throughout every grade

Coota and Goulburn both would have won Div 4 last year from the 4th grade games I saw. Probably quite comfortably.

Perhaps there should be a type of promotion/relegation for the 4 regional teams across Divs 3 & 4? ie Coota and Goulburn go up to Div 3 this year, lowest placed of the 2 returns to Div 4 whilst highest placed of Yass/Cooma in Div 4 goes to Div 3 for 2017.

I can understand the desire for all sides to compete in an even comp, but at the end of the day there will have to be some kind of compromise at some point along the line, and unfortunately the lower grades are right towards the end of that line.

go hawks 2015

Rookie
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Coota and Goulburn both would have won Div 4 last year from the 4th grade games I saw. Probably quite comfortably.

Perhaps there should be a type of promotion/relegation for the 4 regional teams across Divs 3 & 4? ie Coota and Goulburn go up to Div 3 this year, lowest placed of the 2 returns to Div 4 whilst highest placed of Yass/Cooma in Div 4 goes to Div 3 for 2017.

I can understand the desire for all sides to compete in an even comp, but at the end of the day there will have to be some kind of compromise at some point along the line, and unfortunately the lower grades are right towards the end of that line.
That sounds very good motley. I think a lot of teams in div above yass and coota would be surprised on match day . Im pretty sure yass in 2008 would have smashed half of the division above them. Hell we nearlly beat gungahlins higher division when they dropped half their team back.to our division in first final. Well mayne not half but you get my drift. Also think its great for coota to challenge themselves and honestly think goulburn are kidding themselves thinking they are not ready. With a population of nearly as 50k im sure you could get 22 players and do reasonably well. If you have younger kids they dont learn much by winning easily everyweek and also it it wasnt for the yass hoodoo of prelim finals goulburn would possibly have won the last 3 or 4 flags

NovIsBack

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I've missed your enlightened posts. Halve the population you've quoted - 22,906, Yass haven't exactly struggled getting some guys from Canberra (Which is great). While I think the swans would go well in a regional or div 4 it would kill the club trying to build up some young and inexperienced players through 3rd div, we are really rebuilding over the next two years and need to build our player base. Missed the boat when the core players were mid 20s around 2008/09. But like you're opinion I have one and they differ, that's fine. It's just yours is with no knowledge of the town or club and it's goals, just a hang up from years gone by. I don't think Yass should go to Div3 either but what would your stance be if they won last year and told to move up?

Last edited:

Smurftown#11

Senior List
Apr 29, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Ainslie
I've missed your enlightened posts. Halve the population you've quoted - 22,906, Yass haven't exactly struggled getting some guys from Canberra (Which is great). While I think the swans would go well in a regional or div 4 it would kill the club trying to build up some young and inexperienced players through 3rd div, we are really rebuilding over the next two years and need to build our player base. Missed the boat when the core players were mid 20s around 2008/09. But like you're opinion I have one and they differ, that's fine. It's just yours is with no knowledge of the town or club and it's goals, just a hang up from years gone by. I don't think Yass should go to Div3 either but what would your stance be if they won last year and told to move up?

I think you may be severely over-rating the Div 4 comp, simply because Regionals was nominally Div 5. If you had wanted to rank last years competitions in order of quality/challenge it would have been NEAFL, Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, Regionals & finally Div 4.

I certainly know that when Ainslie were told we would be in Regionals rather than Div 4 we realised that the year was going to be much tougher on the field as well as off it. We'd have won a whole lot more games in Div 4 than we did in Regionals. Playing in Div 4 is a step backwards in competitiveness for the likes of Coota & Goulburn in my opinion. They may not be able to WIN the Div 3 comp, but they will more than likely hold their own and actually have a challenge on the field for a change, rather than beating up on sides most of the year apart from when numbers thinned out.

Having 24 players to choose from on grand final day and still managing to win the comp is really an argument to say you should go up. Even when you had poor numbers/availability you were able to win the whole darn competition.

It seems to me that Coota & Goulburn can continue to be big fish in the 5 team Regional comp or settle for being one of many fish in a proper Div 3. Just because you can't win the comp doesn't mean it's all too hard. It's a bit like the bully who prefers to beat up kids than actually step up to the plate and take on people their own size.

NovIsBack

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
I think you may be severely over-rating the Div 4 comp, simply because Regionals was nominally Div 5. If you had wanted to rank last years competitions in order of quality/challenge it would have been NEAFL, Div 1, Div 2, Div 3, Regionals & finally Div 4.

I certainly know that when Ainslie were told we would be in Regionals rather than Div 4 we realised that the year was going to be much tougher on the field as well as off it. We'd have won a whole lot more games in Div 4 than we did in Regionals. Playing in Div 4 is a step backwards in competitiveness for the likes of Coota & Goulburn in my opinion. They may not be able to WIN the Div 3 comp, but they will more than likely hold their own and actually have a challenge on the field for a change, rather than beating up on sides most of the year apart from when numbers thinned out.

Having 24 players to choose from on grand final day and still managing to win the comp is really an argument to say you should go up. Even when you had poor numbers/availability you were able to win the whole darn competition.

It seems to me that Coota & Goulburn can continue to be big fish in the 5 team Regional comp or settle for being one of many fish in a proper Div 3. Just because you can't win the comp doesn't mean it's all too hard. It's a bit like the bully who prefers to beat up kids than actually step up to the plate and take on people their own size.

I can see your point, I personally didn't play footy exclusively to win either, playing sport with your mates with a few wins makes it a little better. I only worry for the future of the club if it was forced to play in a division it wouldn't be competitive in. This might come across as wanting to be the "big fish/bully" which wasn't my intention. Over the past 5 years I think the country teams have been of pretty level ability (Cooma the last 2/3 years) not too many years ago this was a non issue when we had the 4 grades and the Canberra teams used to beat us convincingly, one premiership and we are the bullies of AFL Canberra.

There are already worries that there won't be enough players for a team this year, doesn't help not knowing what is happening with the structure whilst signing a coach and players to try a new sport. I'm only looking out for our club, the same any of you would do for yours.

Last edited:

MotleyLemon

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
I can see your point, I personally didn't play footy exclusively to win either, playing sport with your mates with a few wins makes it a little better. I only worry for the future of the club if it was forced to play in a division it wouldn't be competitive in. This might come across as wanting to be the "big fish/bully" which wasn't my intention. Over the past 5 years I think the country teams have been of pretty level ability (Cooma the last 2/3 years) not too many years ago this was a non issue when we had the 4 grades and the Canberra teams used to beat us convincingly, one premiership and we are the bullies of AFL Canberra.

There are already worries that there won't be enough players for a team this year, doesn't help not knowing what is happening with the structure whilst signing a coach and players to try a new sport. I'm only looking out for our club, the same any of you would do for yours.

Understand where you're coming from Nov, but the Swans have lost a combined 7 home and away games in the last 3 years. Obviously this hasn't necessarily translated to flags, but you guys have been more than competitive in the lower ranks.

Surely it's best to try and build in Div 3 now, rather than have this same discussion next year and the year after, and lament "missing the boat" to go up again?

go hawks 2015

Rookie
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Actually never heard so much s**t in my life nov. The only person you are kidding is yourself. Big fish in a little pond ring a bell ?

DropPunt12

Debutant
Nov 19, 2011
Here
AFL Club
St Kilda
Actually never heard so much s**t in my life nov. The only person you are kidding is yourself. Big fish in a little pond ring a bell ?
Wow you really don't like Goulburn do you! If my memory is correct Goulburn have played in 3 Grand Finals in the last 8 years. Yass have also played in 3 Grand Finals in the last 8 years. Not sure you're point is valid

southcab

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2008
yass
AFL Club
Carlton
Wow you really don't like Goulburn do you! If my memory is correct Goulburn have played in 3 Grand Finals in the last 8 years. Yass have also played in 3 Grand Finals in the last 8 years. Not sure you're point is valid
Ironically we had to beat Goulburn twice in consecutive prelim finals to progress as well.That said I don't believe that either the Swans or the Roos are ready for a division three stint. But from what im hearing it may well be a done deal for Yass.

go hawks 2015

Rookie
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sorry my mistake nov. I must have been counting both heads

Danky Panky

Rookie
Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Seems like it's been settled that Coota and 2 others are going into Div 3.

Goulburn and Yass likely to go up I imagine despite their protests. My understanding from League HQ is that if they won't go up then they wont be registered in either grade. Basically the same ultimatum that ADFA and ANU copped before being shoved up a in 2014.

Fair enough as well...This is what should have happened last year instead of having 3 grades...2 Club teams get the 'match' day set up most weeks and can deal with it when they don't...Still a vast improvement on where it was 5 years ago...

Goulburn and Yass (Goulburn in particular) cry poor this time every year that they've had half their list retire yet the same old faces lob up and belt the lesser lights by 30 goals every other week...From what I've seen both sides would be competitive enough in Div 3...Perhaps not to win the GF but could easily play finals given the top 6 structure.

Plenty of teams start a season knowing they don't really have a chance to win a flag...Why should Goulburn be any different?

NovIsBack

Team Captain
Jul 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Seems like it's been settled that Coota and 2 others are going into Div 3.

Goulburn and Yass likely to go up I imagine despite their protests. My understanding from League HQ is that if they won't go up then they wont be registered in either grade. Basically the same ultimatum that ADFA and ANU copped before being shoved up a in 2014.

Fair enough as well...This is what should have happened last year instead of having 3 grades...2 Club teams get the 'match' day set up most weeks and can deal with it when they don't...Still a vast improvement on where it was 5 years ago...

Goulburn and Yass (Goulburn in particular) cry poor this time every year that they've had half their list retire yet the same old faces lob up and belt the lesser lights by 30 goals every other week...From what I've seen both sides would be competitive enough in Div 3...Perhaps not to win the GF but could easily play finals given the top 6 structure.

Plenty of teams start a season knowing they don't really have a chance to win a flag...Why should Goulburn be any different?

Aren't we on here to talk about our clubs? No crying poor just having an opinion on what I think is best for the club to survive. Disagree that I do this every year. I believe the swans will accept the challenge and move to 3rd division, they had a meeting with the players last night to speak about 2016 and pre-season etc.

I think the majority of the current players are excited for the challenge and are aware of where they will be at this year.

I totally understand what AFL Canberra are trying to achieve (match day experience) so I guess the club just has to roll with it and put in a tough couple of years to improve, recruit and match Woden, Anu and the likes.

Lastly, I've said before it's not about winning a comp every year. Whatever I have said on here doesn't reflect the current playing groups attitude towards playing in a higher division.

Danky Panky

Rookie
Jan 14, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I really hope Goulburn do accept the challenge! From what I've seen they're a talented bunch of fellas and will give it a red hot shake at the higher level.

It's a shame they didn't test themselves earlier on though as I think this would have only strengthened the club and improved the youngsters.

All the best to the Swannies for a big 2016.

Back