AFL Canberra Season 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't seen a stoush like this on here since 08 when Juicy Fruit, Ports 18 and another mad bastard ironically all from the Jets who's name just escapes me at the moment used to get into it. What was his name he used to dress up with a wig and mow ? Played in the backline for like a thousand games at the Jets and was actually a really nice bloke .His real name was Stephen something funny bugger .

Bit hard to judge but does anyone have a list of ins and outs for all the 1st Grade Clubs ? Plenty of talk re Jets. Who have they got on top of what they will get from players not selected for the two NEAFL teams.

How are everyone's first week of training going? Fitness levels good?

How many trial games are people aiming to play this year, especially in light of the 15 game season in the Div 2 etc?

The Yass roos had there first run for 2015 last night under the guidance of new coach Ben Serafin .Different feeling watching from the sidelines .

Molonglo Juggernauts had their first official Preseason training run last night, good but tough night with great numbers. many new faces at the club, seems to be a few from other clubs but not sure where they have come from. Looking forward to a strong and competitive season for all 3 teams.

Anyone know any guys interested in playing footy down the coast. Batemans Bay has had an unprecedented number of player losses. Many moving to Wollongong for Uni, a few moving for work, 4 or 5 going back to play for UC Magpies, a couple going OS and a couple of blokes who at the ripe old age of 21 or 22 have decided not to play footy this year and just go to the Gym. Out of approx. 3000 blokes aged between 18-40 in our area about 200 play a winter sport. When I was 20 in the 90s I reckon at least 50% of blokes played footy.

Is it true a few of QBN players are heading over to Woden this year?? if so they will be strong! Doesn't make sense blokes jumping across to play a lower standard.

The Guys the blues have gotten are players that had not played AFL for the tigers for the last year or 2 and have a few mates at the club that they are keen to have a run around with !!!

The Guys the blues have gotten are players that had not played AFL for the tigers for the last year or 2 and have a few mates at the club that they are keen to have a run around with !!!

Had a look through the clearances and they picked up Franchi, I'm sure he played last year. Wasn't he also a member of the 2012 Premiership team? he will be a very handy pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a look through the clearances and they picked up Franchi, I'm sure he played last year. Wasn't he also a member of the 2012 Premiership team? he will be a very handy pick up.

Franchi clearance says denied on the website I thought...

Still looks like they've got a lot of blokes in, regardless.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...rap-proposed-neafl-draft-20150216-13e8kq.html

Hmm. Another wonderfully organised AFL Canberra event.

Anyone know if AFL Canberra will be responsible for injuries suffered for blokes playing for Gungahlin from Ainslie/Eastlake?

Does this mean local Ainslie and Eastlake players on their lists can play in there ressies? also how many years do you have to be at a club to be considered a local? I know Ainslie have players that have been recruited from interstate that have been there 5+ years. Are they now locals who can play for Ainslie's ressies?

Does this mean local Ainslie and Eastlake players on their lists can play in there ressies? also how many years do you have to be at a club to be considered a local? I know Ainslie have players that have been recruited from interstate that have been there 5+ years. Are they now locals who can play for Ainslie's ressies?

Article says "junior" footy, so it'll be interesting to see how they define that, or whether there's a qualifying period of time or what...

I was quite interested in the "building club culture" aspect of their 3 point plan there.

Parachuting 33 blokes into a new club from different sides seems like a pretty good fix for that. :rolleyes:

Who pays these players, too?

Article says "junior" footy, so it'll be interesting to see how they define that, or whether there's a qualifying period of time or what...

I was quite interested in the "building club culture" aspect of their 3 point plan there.

Parachuting 33 blokes into a new club from different sides seems like a pretty good fix for that. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a bit of a joke that only junior footy counts. Surely a certain time period would make sense too? The Ainslie captain, Rob Tuohey, moved to Ainslie when he was 18, just out of school. He's been playing for Ainslie since 2008. That's 7 seasons and about to start his 8th. If he was injured and had to come back through the reserves, would he have to play for Gungahlin's First Grade side instead of Ainslie's? RIDICULOUS!

Gungahlin is going to end up with a first grade side full of non-gungahlin players who don't give two hoots about the club and just want to get out of the team. They will also have to play WITH players from their opposition clubs AGAINST players from their own club who they train with and have done the hard yards with.

Great "team-culture" you'll build there, with no players from your own club. Gungahlin will essentially be playing first grade in name only.

I really hope the AFL put in place a way to protect the 1st grade clubs from losing there juniors. If they don't the talented kids and even the 2nd tier kids from the Belco's, QBN etc. Will jump ship when they are 14 - 15 years old to play for a 'NEAFL' club. They would then be considered Ainslie or Eastlake juniors!

Also interesting to see Belconnen have given there players who left to the Jets if they don't make the NEAFL grade!

Sounds like a bit of a joke that only junior footy counts. Surely a certain time period would make sense too? The Ainslie captain, Rob Tuohey, moved to Ainslie when he was 18, just out of school. He's been playing for Ainslie since 2008. That's 7 seasons and about to start his 8th. If he was injured and had to come back through the reserves, would he have to play for Gungahlin's First Grade side instead of Ainslie's? RIDICULOUS!
Its about trying to stop clubs from poaching other clubs junior players. Otherwise the richer clubs would continue to rob the poorer clubs of their young stars and the competition would continue to be a 4 team comp.
Everyone seems to be so short sighted on this. No wonder football in this town has dug itself such a large hole. Instead of working together to get out of it everyone wants to dig in their own direction. Its about time clubs/players/officials/supporters took responsibility for the future of "the game" in this city. Of course everyone wants to win, but at the same time we all have a responsibility to ensure that the game is keep in a condition that we'd want our kids to grow up in. I wouldn't want my kids to be playing in a 4 team competition.

Is the VFL responsible for AFL listed players who get injured whilst playing in that competition. Probably one of the more stupider comments I've heard on here recently.

Whoa whoa.

Surely this is a reasonable question to ask?

I can't imagine Gungahlin have much cash to be forking out for these kind of things, so surely AFL Canberra, who have organised this ridiculous concept, will have to be paying for surgeries etc?

Recently there were arguments between the NRC side/Brumbies and Canberra club rugby sides about who was responsible for injuries sustained and subsequent surgery required as the result of that competition...

As for your ludicrously short sighted "AFL/VFL" comment, I'm quite sure AFL listed players would be playing with their VFL affiliates, not against them.

It's also probably best not to use "more stupider" when attempting to belittle someone...

The article doesnt seem to paint the situation in the best light...it would help if it gave details of all the clubs allocations and the NEAFL clubs plans to intergrate their ressies into the Div 1 comp.

Realistically even if the Ainslie senior captain is assigned to the jets or any club other than ainslie the chances of him running back through div 1 are low and worse case senario would be for one week with the purpose being of getting match fit for a NEAFL return.

Its about trying to stop clubs from poaching other clubs junior players. Otherwise the richer clubs would continue to rob the poorer clubs of their young stars and the competition would continue to be a 4 team comp.
Everyone seems to be so short sighted on this. No wonder football in this town has dug itself such a large hole. Instead of working together to get out of it everyone wants to dig in their own direction. Its about time clubs/players/officials/supporters took responsibility for the future of "the game" in this city. Of course everyone wants to win, but at the same time we all have a responsibility to ensure that the game is keep in a condition that we'd want our kids to grow up in. I wouldn't want my kids to be playing in a 4 team competition.

Bit rich to call everyone short sighted, perhaps?

Care to elaborate on what the future for Gungahlin is? Where are they going to get their own players to form a competitive first grade side? Where are they going to get the money for these players? You bang on about a "4 team comp", but really it will be the "poorer" clubs in Gungahlin and Tuggeranong struggling to be competitive anyway, losing juniors to clubs with money, as has been the case forever and a day. Why should teams that are already forking out big money to remain in the NEAFL also fork out their players to prop up struggling/new clubs?

I agree that the state of things is not right at the moment, but I don't think this is the way to fix it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back