AFL can't compete with the game of globalisation

Remove this Banner Ad

Port182

Senior List
Feb 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's been incessant discussion in recent weeks about the look of AFL football, much of it at least constructive suggestions about how the game might regain some of the aesthetic appeal it appears to have lost.

It's a healthy debate that might well generate some positive ideas. But without trying to sound too alarmist, last Friday night served up some compelling evidence football may have an even bigger problem, one over which it has precious little control.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...balisation-20150727-gillb8.html#ixzz3h68yGHyL

Interesting......

Last edited by a moderator:

AFL has more and more each day become a boring and draining sport to watch. It's hard to watch a lot of games these days and I haven't attended as many games as I've wanted to this season and I'm a full blues member

I watch all Blues games and might flick on to watch a half of Kangaroos or St Kilda play but that's about it. AFL I hope keep loosing ratings and attendance to other codes to clean up areas of the game which are pushing supporters away

When Real Madrid and Manchester City start holding games at the MCG every week, the AFL may have a problem. Don't think we can draw much from the fact that a once-off event outdrew a run-of-the-mill game between the top and bottom sides of the comp.

Hear hear.

Two of the biggest clubs going around play in a one off here, rightfully gets a big crowd. And yeah, from the couch at home I spent more time watching that, it was a better game.

But yeah some of the AFL games are becoming a bit crap to watch, but there is many a thread discussing that.

The main thrust of the article is the appeal for kids - will be interesting how this plays out in coming generations with the game distancing itself more and more from the fans with things like night un-family-friendly timeslots.

It will always have a very strong niche. I think the AFL have pulled back a bit from the international push to focus on home, which is the right decision. Don't want to completely ignore the rest of the world though, foreigners invariably love it when they see a game.

Interesting to see what happens in the future with half the fanbase - women/girls. The AFL is miles ahead of soccer in Australia when it comes to fans watching the game (soccer still unsure whether it wants to be family-oriented or latch on to the 'passionate' (read: dickhead yobbo) fan appeal. Soccer however is much further ahead from a participation point of view.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RoCo's kids a little nerd who probably has zero athletic gifts. He likes playing Fifa. What a surprise that is.

Auskick and junior footy are trying to cater for kids of various skills and physical gifts but for some kids soccer will take their fancy. Hockey is another sport that does well out of the lightly framed and contact averse child. Although beware the injuries that can come there.

It would be great if the AFL had a video game have as good as FIFA but that might be very hard to achieve.

And the AFL need to sell the game to migrants as well. The post war immigrants have played both footy and soccer in Australia for years. The Italian and Greek's have AFL team of the centuries.

I'm not sure the same success has been had with middle eastern and African arrivals.

When Real Madrid and Manchester City start holding games at the MCG every week, the AFL may have a problem. Don't think we can draw much from the fact that a once-off event outdrew a run-of-the-mill game between the top and bottom sides of the comp.

Easy to fill out a stadium when it is a once off, try seeing how many could afford the tickets if those two clubs played here every weekend and the owners of both clubs had to pay their players wages by jacking prices for tickets sky high.

Soccer is a simpler sport and thus draws more people in. AFL can be a bit complicated when you start off following and it may scare some people off.

I would say footy is more exciting - been to games in the past with foreigners and they are definitely engaged, evne if they think it is a bit chaotic.

Explaining some rules especially in congested situation I'd struggle with more now than ten - fifteen years ago.

I like both sports. But last Friday night was the choice between watching my team that will be here all year, or a collection of superstars that are here just for the week.

Ideally, I'd like to watch them in England or Spain, but this is the next best option. Atmosphere no where near what it would have been had it been in their home country.

I'm a sports fan, not just an AFL fan set out to ridicule and kill off other sports.

You appreciate more sports when you play them. You realise the small nuances and tactics you never considered as a fan or spectator.

I love both codes of football and Victory averaged about 27k last year and that's great. City pushed just over 10k. For Melbourne based teams, it's a combined average of 37.6k.

Here's the thing though; six of the nine teams IN MELBOURNE ALONE averaged a higher attendance than the two A-League clubs COMBINED. In total, the Melbourne teams averaged 318.6k per round. That's almost 8.5 times the average A-League attendance, and there's another team down the road that averages 9k more than Victory per match.

Love soccer, love the A-League, love Australian football, but to say that the A-League has a fair way to go before approaching the AFL is an understatement. There probably is an undercurrent of Australians that would support football at the highest level if it were played here, but it's just not and it's hard to see that even beginning to be the case for another few generations.

There is one way soccer will take over - Every now and then you read in the newspaper about new super planes in development that will fly you from Europe-Melbourne in 3 hours or whatever. Once this happens and Australia has teams in some kind of worldwide champion league with the best players in the world Aussie Rules is doomed. I hope it is like flying cars which have been promised forever but never arrive

The shower of paper planes that started 20 mins before the end of the RM v MC game speaks volumes about the game. Soccer is an inferior product in all aspects

You realise that this was the equivalent of a NAB cup game? Hawks v Freo in London would have attracted 10,000 max.

Soccer's far more aesthetically stunning and glamorous. It has a certain artistic excellence you cannot get in the AFL.
Really?

I enjoy a great goal and passing interplay in soccer, but there are some ripping AFL goals that feature similar things. Brilliance in close, great link up play, athleticism and power.

You guys know AFL crowds are up in 2015 don't you? For the 3rd straight year?

Yet A-League crowds have fallen for their last 2 seasons and NRL crowds are down for the 3rd straight year.

I really fail to see what people are talking about. If there was a clear trend, then sure. But if anything the trend is going the other way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back