Remove this Banner Ad

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Absolutely ridiculous all the obsession with stats this last decade with all the DT and SC points. It's like some people only look at stats rather than watching the game and form their opinions accordingly. I'll take Rioli's game tonight over any 25 possessions, 10 marks and 1 goal or none.

It actually pisses me off.

As a baseball fan who contributes to a couple of forums, I am constantly annoyed by the self-styled "sabrmetricians", for whom utterly arcane statistical analysis is everything. I genuinely think that for many of them, the game itself is a distraction from their wank-fest.

I'll give an example: in 2012 Miguel Cabrera of the Detroit Tigers won the batting triple crown and led his team into the World Series. He was the first player to win the triple crown in almost 50 years and was voted the league's MVP. A pretty obvious choice you would think, but not for the SABR people. Oh no, their pet from that year was Mike Trout, whose team didn't even make the playoffs. The outrage from these guys was truly something to behold; the word travesty featured prominently. For the record, here are their comparable stats for 2012.

Cabrera: .330 BA, 44 HR, 139 RBI
Trout: .326 BA, 30 HR, 83 RBI

So what's my point? People need to forget the bloody stats sometimes and open their eyes. Anyone who thinks Edwards can impact a game like Rioli does time and time again is deluding themselves.

Last edited:

Matt Slade

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2008
Ascot Vale
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep. Lots of Hawks fans surprisingly and angrily insecure abt Cyril.

So, Hawk supporters better just shut up and allow other trolls to belittle our players or else we look insecure.

By the way, we are not the ones constantly beating our chest about the size of our crowds and membership numbers etc..., or talk about how the sleeping giant will awaken "if only" "what if" we had some success.

It is what it is!!!

Last edited:

Thank god we restricted him to seven kicks. Inneffective game from Cyril. He needs to lift.
I like it.

It's funny how people say he's inconsistent too. From memory, in any season where he's played more than 15 games, he's polled in the top 3-5 of our B&F.

If that's not consistency, then I don't know what it is.

gavaniacono

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2014
Hanoi
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wolverhampton Wanderers
So, Hawk supporters better just shut up and allow other trolls to belittle our players or else we look insecure.

By the way, we are not the ones constantly beating our chest about the size of our crowds and membership numbers etc..., or talk about how the sleeping giant will awaken "if only" "what if" we had some success.

It is what it is!!!
As said, anger and insecurity all in one!

Not sure how you can be over rated with a 10 touch 5 goal game.

Not talking about his game last night, which was great. I was talking in a general sense.

Edwards arguably won us the game with 2 crucial last quarter games. Kind of nullifies the whole "without Cyril, we lose" as without Edwards, we'd lose too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
Edwards arguably won us the game with 2 crucial last quarter games. Kind of nullifies the whole "without Cyril, we lose" as without Edwards, we'd lose too.
Question is
Who potentially could replace both players in their role

A lot harder to replace Rioli than it is Edwards

That's no slight on edwards, most Hawks fans actually agree Edwards is a good player, but, we also support a side that until 2014, did not have many high possession getters, yet still won plenty of games

Most Hawks rate value over possession

In basketball, they have an "estimated wins added" column
If that was transferred, Rioli would be in the top few in the comp

Edwards would be in the rung below

kreuze_missile

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Jun 9, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Cyril Rioli (2015 edition) is the most overrated player in the league. Wouldn't be in the top 100 players in the comp.

Even his 2012 form wasn't that great, certainly not worthy of his AA spot given his mediocre output (15 disposals, 1 goal avg).

Cyril Rioli (2015 edition) is the most overrated player in the league. Wouldn't be in the top 100 players in the comp.

Even his 2012 form wasn't that great, certainly not worthy of his AA spot given his mediocre output (15 disposals, 1 goal avg).

He'd be your best small forward by a fair margin. :$

The Post Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Don't understand footy, do you mate? Clearly you just watch the he ball all game and check the stats on your phone.

There is so much more to footy than just what's happening with the ball!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back