AFL Darling Downs - 2012 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi phil. i cringe when i post stuff like that. had a few beers and i do tend to go over the top. the stats are right, i just shouldshut the fk up....

however, as far as other kids catching up and burnout. ive studdied this. here have a look...

How long can kids train?
As a general rule, children shouldn't train for more than 18-20 hours a week.​
and....

Effect of physical activity on cartilage development in healthy kids
  1. G Jones1,
  2. K Bennell2,
  3. F M Cicuttini3
+Author Affiliations

1. 1Menzies Centre for Population Health Research
  2. 2University of Melbourne
  3. 3Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
  1. Correspondence to:
 Associate Professor Cicuttini, 3rd Floor, 553 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, Vic 3001, Australia; 
 flavia.cicuttini@med.monash.edu.au
Current evidence supports a prescription of vigorous physical activity for optimum joint development in children

“ . . .withholding exercise in early life may result in delayed adaptation of the cartilage.”

Hi Tiger,

What i meant was, that kids IMO who are talented should be held back a bit (not always) from playing up age levels, even if they want to, i would never stop a kid from exercising like skateboarding, riding a pushie, or mucking around at the park etc, i meant competetive sport, in fact, the more playing outside, the better, those sort of activities IMO build up their strength better than anything.

For Ex: i am not really happy about younger kids playing 2 competetive football games in a row, one would be up a age level filling in, the more tired you are, the more chance of injury, combined with bigger bodies, different rules etc, thats more what i was getting at.

I am all for kids being identified as talented, and having appropiate training and playing against kids of similar skills and sizes, but not continually tested against older bigger kids.

Anyway, that is just MO. :)

I am all for kids being identified as talented, and having appropiate training and playing against kids of similar skills and sizes, but not continually tested against older bigger kids.

Anyway, that is just MO. :)

Studies have clearly indicated that the majority
of children with good physical performance indicators maintain this advantage
when they grow older.
The
differences between the actual and the biological ages can in extreme situations
exceed four years and even more.

Hi Christopher, noticed that next season, you may have an 11 team senior comp, that seems pretty big and i imagine that there will be quite a disparity between the top and bottom teams, is there any more teams thinking of joining the DD comp, and would it make sense to possibly have 2 divisions with a promotion/relegation system, or of course 2 separate comps divided geographically to lesson travelling issues. :)...... just a thought.

12 teams would make it far more manageable.

Good luck, it seems the DD comp is really doing pretty well.

It's something which has been mentioned and variations of this are being considered, although definitely not guaranteed. 2 divisions may reduce big results but will also likely have a negative impact on travel for Division 2 teams given the stronger clubs are on the whole in Toowoomba with the weaker ones spread around the edges. Conference style may reduce travel but also reduce competitiveness. It's a fine balance to find but we appreciate the thoughts!

To the others, thanks for moving the discussing off of this thread, when we should really be focusing on the DD competition rather than intricacies of AFL policy and club decisions. All of the clubs have reasons for their decisions, whether they may seem to be right or not. The best approach is to generally have a chat with the club involved and determine what is best for your children and the club as a whole.

great news for theLV valley club. a google earth of cahill park will show the promise of what is available and already established there..and congrats on an always updated website.

firstly......

Demons Home Ground ?????????????

postdateicon.png
16 Dec 2012
Our Vice President and I have been in discussions with the Cahill Park Trust, and Council with the possibility of using part of their grounds and making it our home ground. We are confident that this has huge possibilities and is close to being a reality which would see us finally having our own home ground which will see this club grow even stronger. So far all parties involved have been very friendly and excited at the prospect of our AFL code of footy joining the affiliation of the Rugby League, Cricket and Netball codes in their multi sports area at Cahill Park, we will keep you informed of the progress as we get it and do hope this to be a reality in 2013.

http://lockyervalleydemons.com.au/category/news
Will Cahill Park be Home ????

postdateicon.png
20 Dec 2012
Just keeping you up to date we have had meetings with council which has been very positive as it seems that we have at least made our move at the right time due to a master plan being implemented for gatton which now we are to be a part of that plan. The down side is timing and due course for this to happen but we will be in meetings in the new year with the master planners, council, cahill park trust and AFL of course.
So on the up side everyone involved is very excited and behind our move at this stage and AFL is right behind us to make this work which is great to see this support. Our 5 year strategic plan is still on track and we have achieved our goals to date, so to get our home ground in that time will be nothing short of fantastic.
We will keep you informed as we get it

Following on from Shane Warnes lead i have decided to voice my opinion that nobody asked for:

Where is Darling Downs footy at Part 1:

As a long time participant of Darling Downs footy i thought id pen my ideas of where the comp was at and where i would like to see it go in the next 3-5 years.

I see in 2013 the competition is aiming for 11 teams adding Kingaroy and Chinchilla to the competition so that it will now include the following sides:

Toowoomba Based:
1. Tigers
2. Souths
3. Roos
4. Uni
5. Highfields
Regional:
1. Warwick
2. Gundy
3. Dalby
4. Lockyer Valley
5. Kingaroy
6. Chinchilla

Overall whilst it is great to see that footy is expanding rapidly in the region we are left with a position where it really is a two tiered competition with the 5 Toowoomba sides (Highfields to a lesser extent) and Warwick head and shoulders above the other teams.

Whilst we have seen the senior competition expand significantly in the past few years, the junior competition is beginning to struggle for participants particularly in the upper age groups.

My vision for the future of DD footy:
We have seen through the under 16 and under 18 crows/rams sides that Darling Downs has the footballers to challenge Brisbane and gold coast sides and further develop footballers in a strong SE qld competition. Unfortunately after playing at those levels in the under 18s there is no defined pathway other than to travel to Brisbane for the local kids. This sees many of our better players turn their back on footy. Previously the Cougars had a representative side playing in the Brisbane competition however this side folded around the turn of the century from memory and there has not been the interest/talent to revive the side. I believe it is imperative that the DD gets a side in a strong Brisbane competition (at least Pineapple Cup) to provide a clear pathway for our under 18s to step up and continue playing footy at a strong level.

Given the relative strength in talent and numbers throughout the Toowoomba region now is the time to get this side involved. We currently have a situation where Souths, Uni, Coolaroo and Tigers have enough numbers for 2 sides worth of players and a clear gulf in talent between the top 5-6 sides and the rest which leads to 3-4 severe beltings each weekend. If we were able to field a club in the pineapple cup (seniors and reserves) it will enable a clear path for talented juniors coming through. Even out the local competition so there are less 200 point beltings which will in turn encourage the regional teams to stick at it rather than get turned away from the game through suffering 200 point beltings each week. Increase the profile and potential for significant corporate sponsorship within the DD region.

In Rockville Park we have one of the better playing surfaces anywhere in SE Qld (outside NEAFL) Other than the playing surface however the facility needs a dramatic overhaul. Establishing Rockville Park as a “home base” of DD footy is a must. An upgrade to the facility to include at minimum room for administration (piss of the abomination that is the Ruthven st offices), larger change rooms and shower facilities, increased amenities and a better canteen / bar facility and preferably a small gym / weights room are a must to encourage people to attend games of football on the downs and attract sponsorship and recognition throughout the region.

In a perfect world a set up similar to that at The Hockey Club would be perfect in that it would be able to provide leading edge facilities for the clubs to use but also provide revenue through meals, beer, pokies throughout the week. Shelter and seating at Rockville are also key issues which need to be addressed in order to bring the ground up to standard of the larger Pineapple cup clubs. If the facilities are upgraded significantly the facilities could be used as a large bargaining chip to try and persuade AFLQ to get events such as Suns or Lions training camps and even possible trial games / regional representative games and maybe even NAB cup footy to Toowoomba.

To be continued…

do you see the pineapple cup as a stepping stone towards an NEAFL side?or should toowoomba just keep its powder dry and build towards an NEAFL side?

toowoomba has so much sponsorship opportunity, and large population base, that i feel that it would soon be too big for the pineapple cup. i say dare to dream big. do it right the first time, because the city of toowoomba is going to be able to handle it.

do you see the pineapple cup as a stepping stone towards an NEAFL side?or should toowoomba just keep its powder dry and build towards an NEAFL side?

toowoomba has so much sponsorship opportunity, and large population base, that i feel that it would soon be too big for the pineapple cup. i say dare to dream big. do it right the first time, because the city of toowoomba is going to be able to handle it.

The competition for spots in the NEAFL competition is huge and i feel we would have to become a power house in the Pineapple Cup before we would even be considered for NEAFL. Also whilst DDAFL does have some talent we have nowhere near the depth or quality of a NEAFL side and would need to recruit significantly from Brisbane the Gold Coast and interstate to do so.

In time i would love to have a Toowoomba side in the NEAFL however i think that there are a lot of hurdles to cross prior to that happening.

The competition for spots in the NEAFL competition is huge and i feel we would have to become a power house in the Pineapple Cup before we would even be considered for NEAFL. Also whilst DDAFL does have some talent we have nowhere near the depth or quality of a NEAFL side and would need to recruit significantly from Brisbane the Gold Coast and interstate to do so.

In time i would love to have a Toowoomba side in the NEAFL however i think that there are a lot of hurdles to cross prior to that happening.

the DD comp would have as many teams (if not many more) in total as redlands or mt gravatt? those 2 clubs manage to get strong teams together into the NEAFL. sure they import players, but so could toowoomba. you have the juniors base here. all that is needed is the spotlight that the NEAFL would shine on DD AFL, media interest, and the subsequent growth of the code that all this would generate.

you may be right that the DD should enter the pineapple cup first. probably the hardest part would be convincing the powers that be that the (proposed) DD club had the infrastructure and the finance to participate. that would be proven with a successful Pineapple Cup enterprise.

the DD comp would have as many teams (if not many more) in total as redlands or mt gravatt? those 2 clubs manage to get strong teams together into the NEAFL. sure they import players, but so could toowoomba. you have the juniors base here. all that is needed is the spotlight that the NEAFL would shine on DD AFL, media interest, and the subsequent growth of the code that all this would generate.

you may be right that the DD should enter the pineapple cup first. probably the hardest part would be convincing the powers that be that the (proposed) DD club had the infrastructure and the finance to participate. that would be proven with a successful Pineapple Cup enterprise.

The Brisbane junior competitions are a lot stronger and have more depth than toowoombas presently does.

Particularly in the short form and until such time as we can get significant support from the local community and grow our talent base further I think pineapple cup would be our level. Location also works against us for a NEAFL side with toowoomba hard to get to from Canberra Sydney etc than a coolongatta or sunshine coast or even cairns based side who would all have more legitimate claims to a spot than toowoomba at present

The Brisbane junior competitions are a lot stronger and have more depth than toowoombas presently does.

Particularly in the short form and until such time as we can get significant support from the local community and grow our talent base further I think pineapple cup would be our level. Location also works against us for a NEAFL side with toowoomba hard to get to from Canberra Sydney etc than a coolongatta or sunshine coast or even cairns based side who would all have more legitimate claims to a spot than toowoomba at present

fair enough.

either way, they have to clear a new path for the kids of the DD now that the crows have been disbanded. a mate of mines talented son has to now travel from Gatton to Mt Gravatt to train and play in a competition that is of the standard he needs to improve and be noticed. that takes a fair commitment from he and his parents. if he was from chinchilla, he'd be up s**t creek. why the AFL shut down a successful team that went through the div 2 comp undefeated and was central for the kids in the DD, then failed to replace it, boggles the mind!

fair enough.

either way, they have to clear a new path for the kids of the DD now that the crows have been disbanded. a mate of mines talented son has to now travel from Gatton to Mt Gravatt to train and play in a competition that is of the standard he needs to improve and be noticed. that takes a fair commitment from he and his parents. if he was from chinchilla, he'd be up s**t creek. why the AFL shut down a successful team that went through the div 2 comp undefeated and was central for the kids in the DD, then failed to replace it, boggles the mind!

Agree and has been the case for sometime. Im a former Toowoomba boy and even when i was playing under 18 footy i needed to go to Morningside to play Div 1 footy and every year since there are countless juniors still lost to the Brisbane comps. The worst part of it is these kids are often lost to the game after a couple of years down there as they become disillusioned with the travel requirements / training required to succeed in one of the big clubs as well as juggling the new exciting post school, starting work, turning 18 world. The Crows being shut down makes the situation even worse when considering the very ordinary standard of footy at u16 level in Toowoomba before a large jump to senior footy with no step in between. Regular competition against other quality kids is desperately needed for young talent to be drafted etc.

at a national and state level, the AFL is committed to the darling downs. there is no doubt about that. so i suspect that the crows being shut down isnt a state or national AFL decision. just who was the bright spark that ended this pathway for the DD kids needs the sack, effective immediately.

there has been so little printed about it, that it is suspicious. actually, NOT ONE BLOODY WORD can i find on the net about it. the only reason i know is because my mates son was told 6 weeks ago...

its a secret who's decision it was, as is the reason. i heard it was because they are so successful in the 2nd div and are too good....and they cant play 1st div because they havent a 1st grade senior side! surely a concession could have been made for them.

it should be made publc as to why, and by whom this decision was made, and why another concept couldnt have been introduced. how the hell do they explain what they have done to all those kids!!??? they obviously cant and are in hiding.

here look at their site. not a bloody word, article or explanation!

Agree 100% that it is a terrible decision that has been handled even worse.

Surely we could at least play in the Div 1 Cup with the other sides not in NEAFL. Or to form an alliance with NT Thunder to play as their u18 side with the condition we also blood some of their juniors throughout the season in the Div 1 Shield

i might be being a bit harsh, and probably there is some good reason for the u18s being shut down, but it hasnt been explained, nor has an alternative been forwarded. like you say, a better outcome could have been reached.

however, im sure wiser minds than i thought this out and it wasnt just one persons idea. but on the surface it doesnt make a great deal of sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi both Jade and Tigernova, the entire Crows program will be explained in a detailed media release next week. The reason to strengthen the Darling Downs league by having only Under 14 & 16 Crows Development programs will be explained. This media release will be up by c.o.b on Friday and has always been planned for release by Friday 22nd February. Stay tuned to www.darlingdowns.aflq.com.au

gangnam lions.jpg

lions doing gangnam style in gatton on the weekend? certainly looks like it eh? but no, that isnt what they were doing. i cant remember what it was, but they certainly kept the kids entertained!

the lions came out to the darling downs on the weekend and visited some of the local clubs sign on days. the lockyer valley club was one such fortunate club to host the lions. jonathan brown whs just one of six lions to visit the LV demons.

the kids had a great time and the lions boys kept the kids entertained with drills, and good humour....as you can see...

it was a huge day for all the kids, coming face to face with their heroes. my youngest daughter said it was the best day she ever had.

it was a fantastic gesture by the AFL and the bris lions. absolutely amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back