AFL Draft To Become TV Event

Remove this Banner Ad

maybe put it in a better tv timeslot then ffs

good timeselots are reserved for shows that appeal to many people. i suspect that only the die hard footy fans will tune in to the live draft. certainly no enough to justify a primetime slot.

Sounds extremely uninteresting to me, but no objection to doing it for those who want to watch. I can't see it really affecting the draft itself other than drawing it out longer than necessary, but the clubs already know what they are going to do so I don't see having extra time on some picks as significant. I'm sure they aren't sitting there going "Oh no! Brisbane have taken Darren Dingleblat already! What do we do now?"

Sounds extremely uninteresting to me, but no objection to doing it for those who want to watch. I can't see it really affecting the draft itself other than drawing it out longer than necessary, but the clubs already know what they are going to do so I don't see having extra time on some picks as significant. I'm sure they aren't sitting there going "Oh no! Brisbane have taken Darren Dingleblat already! What do we do now?"
Yeah you would think they should, the only thing that would probably throw them, is if someone drops that they didn't expect

Probably the next step in this evolution is the introduction of a draft lottery, something I'm not in favour of introducing. Under the draft lottery system there would be chance, however small, of Port Adelaide getting the no 1 pick, a ridiculous system.

Gil seems hell bent on Americanizing the game.

You obviously haven't watched one,how can any club know the order all clubs will pick in? They still have to choose from the options they had should the player be taken before their pick. The upside is W/Coast would be good at "sitting there going what do we do now"........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then we can watch all the recruiters say, "we were thrilled x slid down to our pick we thought he was going to go way higher"

And then we can watch all the recruiters say, "we were thrilled x slid down to our pick we thought he was going to go way higher"

It does almost make sense if you think about it. What are the chances that every club's recruiters agree on the exact order of the draft? Especially mid/late. As long as there is some variation in preferences then most clubs probably end up with a 'bargain' or two that they had pinned as going several selections earlier.

At least The-me-tree-you won't be there attempting to pronounce new & unfamiliar names, while tripping over his Cretian mother-tongue.

Selection number one: Ya-cob Wee-trim.
Selection number two: Josh Shack-hee
Selection number fwee: A-won Fran-sis

The club's actually read out what players they want, not Demetriou / Gillon.

The club's actually read out what players they want, not Demetriou / Gillon.

Cheers Spitta, was having a larf is all....Looking forwards to more of your team of the week threadz, with excellent accompanying photos.

Kinda surprised you haven't done a team of the finals & team of the year one actually....Hell, you couldn't do any worse than Gerard & his AA guff.:thumbsu:

No thanks unless they keep it low key, but the afl has a track record of turning events into bloated, awkward spectacles. Would probably be the icing on the cake after hearing and reading 2 weeks of grown adult males playing shops during trade period on bigfooty.

Cheers Spitta, was having a larf is all....Looking forwards to more of your team of the week threadz, with excellent accompanying photos.

Kinda surprised you haven't done a team of the finals & team of the year one actually....Hell, you couldn't do any worse than Gerard & his AA guff.:thumbsu:

Was planning on it but something unexpected came up, so haven't been able to get around to it.

If Fox were well prepared enough to offer genuine insight into all the picks it could work, usually after the first round they spend all their time on interviews and recaps of round 1, so you have to red button the actual selections.

If draft day trading of picks ever comes in this could work even better, the new bid process is an obvious precursor to that.

No thanks unless they keep it low key, but the afl has a track record of turning events into bloated, awkward spectacles. Would probably be the icing on the cake after hearing and reading 2 weeks of grown adult males playing shops during trade period on bigfooty.

I remember years ago watching a national draft for about 20 minutes. So boring. The only way to watch it is to record it and fast forward the replay. First few picks go okay, but after that, there's the committee meetings, and finally the announcement of the player .... then the club looks around the tables of other clubs hoping to see them upset because they'd been beaten to the punch.

I remember years ago watching a national draft for about 20 minutes. So boring. The only way to watch it is to record it and fast forward the replay. First few picks go okay, but after that, there's the committee meetings, and finally the announcement of the player .... then the club looks around the tables of other clubs hoping to see them upset because they'd been beaten to the punch.
My experience is more like getting really pumped about some exciting speculative pick I saw hyped up on Big Footy and who is expected to go around Hawthorn's first pick which is usually well into the 2nd round. That pick finally comes and Hawks take a player I'd never heard of and another club takes young speculative player with the next pick.

Fortunately it tends to work out in the end but in the moment it's pretty disappointing viewing.

My experience is more like getting really pumped about some exciting speculative pick I saw hyped up on Big Footy and who is expected to go around Hawthorn's first pick which is usually well into the 2nd round. That pick finally comes and Hawks take a player I'd never heard of and another club takes young speculative player with the next pick.

Fortunately it tends to work out in the end but in the moment it's pretty disappointing viewing.

You did draft Garlett though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back