AFL Draft To Become TV Event

They will only truly rival NBA and NFL drafts if they have bogan fans in the arena booing when draftees names are read out
That's why it's in Adelaide this year.
Though with Port probably sans picks, you'll have to make do with the clack of needles. But the booing will certainly be there.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
You mean to tell me you people don't spend hours talking crap on footy forums (and I do too) and you don't want each draft pick with a short highlight video, the occasional interview and a bit of analysis of every pick? At least for the first round?

These are the future stars of your club. Outside the games it's one of the more interesting aspects of footy. I'm surprised people aren't keen to have it highlighted, even if it drags on a bit.

JD Tomahawk

Cancelled
SFA Good Friday Appeal Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 17, 2015
Wimmera
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Boro
It has to be an improvement from what it has been. Makes it exciting for the people who care so good on them. Now we just need a draft lottery like NBA and we'll be good to go.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You mean to tell me you people don't spend hours talking crap on footy forums (and I do too) and you don't want each draft pick with a short highlight video, the occasional interview and a bit of analysis of every pick? At least for the first round?

These are the future stars of your club. Outside the games it's one of the more interesting aspects of footy. I'm surprised people aren't keen to have it highlighted, even if it drags on a bit.

I agree - surprised at the lack of interest here. I'm not massively into it, but I read the threads on our board about the potential draftees and it can be interesting debate. Having Emma Quayle and maybe a couple of others as analysts would give some insight I'm sure.

I'd probably tune in, and I imagine a decent proportion of bf posters would too.

vonn

Bigfooty Legend
10k Posts Pokemon is Life Meet-Up Master Pantskyle Podcaster WCE Wings Guernsey Casey Tutungi Future Fund
Sep 29, 2008
AFL Club
Sydney
If you guys thought announcing the Brownlow medallist was slow...

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
You obviously haven't watched one,how can any club know the order all clubs will pick in? They still have to choose from the options they had should the player be taken before their pick. The upside is W/Coast would be good at "sitting there going what do we do now"........
Obviously they don't know, that's the whole point! But they have their options prepared and adjust their list as the names get crossed off, and select their best of what is still available. Just doesn't strike me as interesting television since, as said earlier, it doesn't matter to me who they pick it's still some kid I've never heard of.

They said on SEN this morning that the way the draft works this time around is that clubs won't be in a central room, but, using software with drop down boxes and Champion Data are kicking in with an Are you Sure? Alert for each selection. Wouldn't that be fun to see on the screen!
I heard all 18 clubs sit in big chairs facing away from the stage while posts from Big Footy about the draftees are read out. The clubs that want the player who is being described simply push a button in front of them and their chairs will turn around. If more than one club turns around then the draftee has to go to the club with the highest remaining draft pick.

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
Probably the next step in this evolution is the introduction of a draft lottery, something I'm not in favour of introducing. Under the draft lottery system there would be chance, however small, of Port Adelaide getting the no 1 pick, a ridiculous system.

Gil seems hell bent on Americanizing the game.
I don't understand why people genuinely think it's ridiculous that a side that's never had a #1 pick would get one, whilst a side that's had 3 of the last 10 gets another one and its fine

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
BT: Oh this kid is a big boy wowee hes 199cm and built like a brick outhouse. Great selection by the B-B-B-Brisbane Lions on that one Derwayne.
Derwayne: Right on BT, If you've just joined us, according to the scouts this kid is crazy good. A big guy with the ability to kick goals from outside the paint, a great ability to read the chaos ball and loves to kick a low spear.
Bruce: You just get the feeling he's going to be a really good player boys, dont you? Ohh cyril ohhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
the draft on TV is like watching an audit being televised.

really an event that can be followed on a PC or the phone. wheeling kids out in new club polo shirts, as they cut to a shot of proud parents in a country town hundreds of k's away, doesn't make for that riveting an event.

Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
the draft on TV is like watching an audit being televised.

really an event that can be followed on a PC or the phone. wheeling kids out in new club polo shirts, as they cut to a shot of proud parents in a country town hundreds of k's away, doesn't make for that riveting an event.

Some would find that interesting.
The same people that find going to AFL club training interesting.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Well the 95% of the game has been moulded and corrupted into whatever is suitable for TV, so the last 5% isn't much of a stretch
If you dont like it, go and watch 5th tier country footy. TV is where the majority of the income comes from, so stop whinging.

Back