AFL/FFA bidding war over A-League Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The contrast being 20 odd, but thats just an inconvenient truth .. odd that !

And if there were 40 odd games at Subi?

You're the one who keeps saying the Perth market is 'full' whenever more WA teams are suggested.

I thought the dogs were going to play a game or two there??

Nup. North (and now, presumably the dogs) have said that if the government upgrades/expands the ground they'll push for it, but like most such suggestions, the maths is 'iffy', especially with the potential for the AFL to buy Docklands early. Best case would be something like a $50M stadium upgrade being used for about 40 games (4/year for 10 years), but really, why would anyone pay $1.25M/game?

They exist on State Government largesse & will shuffle to the tune from Spring Street ... keep watching !!

Not sure where you get the state government from, the AFL puts far more into the ground than the government does. What 'largesse' is this?

Lazy, lazy or in denial & trying to suck in ...
http://www.mcg.org.au/About the G/MCG Trust.aspx

Says nothing about the funding arrangements. While the MCG does take some government funding, the vast majority of funds comes through the MCC, and in particular through its AFL contract - specifically funded by the MCC and AFL members. Theres more than one person in denial here.

"Over ride the AFLs contractual rights or we'll play the game in Sydney".

My reply would be

"Do that and we'll override your contractual rights and you can find a new home ground for next season".

except the vic governments reply will be...... "are you sure? we've done the numbers and 10-15K coming to vic over a week end is not worth our time, meanwhile, we have a number of euro club friendlies, Tennis, F1, AFL home and away rounds , SoO, Melbourne Cup, Ice Hockey, some night time fun run, Champions cup, AFL Finals, possible NRL finals, AFL Grand final, WWE, V8's, Cranbourne GP, etc, etc. All of these events will bring in more then 10-15K on their own and many will attract longer vist's, Sorry to see you go but one National soccer league GF which won't even crack one million viewers on FTA isn't worth the effort. best of luck, see you next season."

Last edited:
Not with it:
The Cricket Club would fold & they are the 1st domino

1st domino, hello
The domino theory was a theory prominent from the 1950s to the 1980s, that speculated that if one state in a region came under the influence of communism, then the surrounding countries would follow in a domino effect.

The Govt are nominally doing whats best for Victorians & playing the 2015 A League decider in NSW is a loss, a missed opportunity economically & for Victorian voters.

No argument from me, there are alternatives & the Francis Leach suggestion appeals most to me:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...th-a-mid-week-grand-final3a-francis-l/6405528

The AFL's determination to snooker the A League's plans for a possible Melbourne grand final has gifted the FFA and the A-League an opportunity.

The FFA should move the grand final to a mid-week event and reframe its showpiece.

The prospect of Melbourne Victory being a homeless host on grand final day due to both the MCG and Docklands being booked for AFL matches has become a distinct possibility.

Leach has always been a closet soccer supporter and iot shows in this biased article.Let them play on Wednesday who cares in the middle of the AFL season in Melbourne.

I dont really care where the soccer play yes soccer not football the name they are trying to force Australians to accept as their exclusive right to the name football ALL the codes are FOOTBALL.Their game has been called soccer for over 100 years here and thats what it is

Leach has always been a closet soccer supporter and iot shows in this biased article.Let them play on Wednesday who cares in the middle of the AFL season in Melbourne.

I dont really care where the soccer play yes soccer not football the name they are trying to force Australians to accept as their exclusive right to the name football ALL the codes are FOOTBALL.Their game has been called soccer for over 100 years here and thats what it is

The word soccer is supposedly derived from 'association', as originally it was referred to as 'association football' (as opposed to 'normal' football, which we now know as rugby union). The scary thing is, they're supposedly derived from the same (well, similar) games....

Do all the soccer fan's still think there is no interest in the Bulldogs? Glad they didn't move it

Apparently the AFL are the 'bad guys' according to every soccer fan...apparently. Just lol. AAMI Park was built for soccer and league, that is big enough.

Apparently the AFL are the 'bad guys' according to every soccer fan...apparently. Just lol. AAMI Park was built for soccer and league, that is big enough.

However badly soccer messes up, if the AFL doesn't bail them out (at no cost of course) then they're the bad guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However badly soccer messes up, if the AFL doesn't bail them out (at no cost of course) then they're the bad guys.

Then they wonder why half of us can't stand them at the best of times. I still struggle to see how hard is is to design a schedule and stick to it. Which other sport changes their GF ate 3 or times in a year?

Then they wonder why half of us can't stand them at the best of times. I still struggle to see how hard is is to design a schedule and stick to it. Which other sport changes their GF ate 3 or times in a year?

But they're FOOTBALL. Whatever is best for them is what should happen, and the rest of the world should change to make way for that.

But they're FOOTBALL. Whatever is best for them is what should happen, and the rest of the world should change to make way for that.

Yep their 12,000 average across all sides is going gangbusters I tell you lol!

Yet we bag sides that 'only' get 30K to fixtures lol

Yes for a League that's 100+ years old you'd hope so too.

Then the A League can stop the whinging over something that could have been avoided 5 months ago. Design a set schedule it isn't hard!

Then the A League can stop the whinging over something that could have been avoided 5 months ago. Design a set schedule it isn't hard!
Who's whinging lately? The outcome was sorted 2 weeks ago. Victory make it, it's played at Swan Street. Sydney host it then it's at Sydney Football Stadium.

Who's whinging lately? The outcome was sorted 2 weeks ago. Victory make it, it's played at Swan Street. Sydney host it then it's at Sydney Football Stadium.

Then the media whinge wasn't needed. AAMI Park is more than big enough for a soccer final right in the middle of the biggest football sport (AFL)'s season. You want Ethiad, you don't change the schedule, it isn't hard, and hopefully the A league learn from this. This isn't the AFL's fault for the A League not being able to design a schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back