AFL Finances

Remove this Banner Ad

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
Let me preface this by saying I have no idea how the "money trail" works between the AFL and the clubs.

But The Age is carrying a story today about the Hawks threatening to pull out of the equalisation arrangements. The Hawks President talked about a figure of $650k that the Hawks were due to tip in (BTW, I support the Hawks rationale for making this threat).

Anyway, it seems to me that in the scheme of things, $650k is not very much and Hawks being one of the richer clubs I am guessing no club is tipping in much more than that. So if you roughly say 9 clubs are tipping in $650k each that is just $6m.

It makes me think why do they bother? What actually happens to the hundreds of millions of dollars that come in from media rights? Why don't the AFL just balance the ledger between the clubs out of their own consolidated revenue? Or is that too simple and there is no money left over to allow them to do that?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Begs the question why Newbould mixes up the equalisation issue & the father/son/academy fiasco.

Separate issues, but Newbould is looking for leverage.

"There won't be a war – we just won't agree. Our agreement will end. We'll say: 'We gave you (AFL) an opportunity to do what you said, which was create a pure draft, and you didn't do it. Let's pack up and go home on the revenue share'."

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Then people complain - and ultimately don't watch - when you have Fremantle and Footscray on Friday night.
I really dont think it matters who is playing on friday night anymore. Its the AFL these days and people will watch no matter what.

How is it fair if the afl gives its best timeslot to the same few clubs week in week out

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Oh look another vfl team trying to blackmail the league until they get what they want.

How about the afl takes their tasmania fixturing off them and ban revenue that directly comes from gambling
Can you provide a decent reason why the swans should be able to trade future picks and every other established clubs can't?

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
ok genuine question here - what is the deal with smaller clubs and fixturing - tell me what im missing here

as far as i can see - smaller clubs have always been smaller clubs - smaller clubs have less diehards - which means less kids born into a family that supports them which means less supporters next generation

eagles get all this shitty fixturing stuff you speak of - i think we do as many sunday arvo matches as anyone - i dont care - when i look at afl.com if my team is playing at 9pm on fri night - i turn the tv on at 8.55

if its 4pm on sunday - ditto

if im in perth or melbs for the weekend - i dont give a red rats arse what time they play =-=-= when they play - i go

big teams are big teams because they were either a) historically big teams or b) expansion teams - melbourne has more professional footy teams in one smallish city than any other professional code in the world - i feel this is why smaller teams struggle more than the fixture

is there a part of the equation im missing?

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
As opposed to Carlton playing 6 Friday nights and a Thursday?
Yes, that's bollocks, I agree. As with Essendon and Carlton on Friday night last year.

I was referring to the reality we will never have anything close to a 'fair draw' - or a 'random' draw. This doesn't mean we can't do better than the offerings we have now, but capitalist economics demands that certain match-ups/game slots would result in a lower revenue than if the fixture was manipulated. And we all know the AFL is all about revenue.

Mar 4, 2009
kanamaluka
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Hurricanes
ok genuine question here - what is the deal with smaller clubs and fixturing - tell me what im missing here

as far as i can see - smaller clubs have always been smaller clubs - smaller clubs have less diehards - which means less kids born into a family that supports them which means less supporters next generation

eagles get all this shitty fixturing stuff you speak of - i think we do as many sunday arvo matches as anyone - i dont care - when i look at afl.com if my team is playing at 9pm on fri night - i turn the tv on at 8.55

if im in perth or melbs for the weekend - i dont give a red rats arse what time they play =-=-= when they play - i go

big teams are big teams because they were either a) historically big teams or b) expansion teams - melbourne has more professional footy teams in one smallish city than any other professional code in the world - i feel this is why smaller teams struggle more than the fixture

Not all footy supporters follow the teams of their parents. A young kid in Melbourne, where there is serious competition, is going to be more attracted to a fashionable club such as Hawthorn or Collingwood - who play big games, mostly at the MCG - than unfashionable clubs such as Footscray, who play at inconvenient time-slots, on pay-TV, in front of low crowds. Then because Footscray don't have the support of larger Melbourne clubs, they don't get the benefits of being a 'big club'. It's a vicious circle. Essentially, as it stands now, they've got little hope in expanding through traditional means, aside from winning premierships. Hawthorn did.

Begs the question why Newbould mixes up the equalisation issue & the father/son/academy fiasco.

Separate issues, but Newbould is looking for leverage.

"There won't be a war – we just won't agree. Our agreement will end. We'll say: 'We gave you (AFL) an opportunity to do what you said, which was create a pure draft, and you didn't do it. Let's pack up and go home on the revenue share'."

Why mix them? Because it's the heartland clubs who are paying for the academies that the expansion clubs benefit from.

Max Power 83

All Australian
Jan 24, 2012
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes, that's bollocks, I agree. As with Essendon and Carlton on Friday night last year.

I was referring to the reality we will never have anything close to a 'fair draw' - or a 'random' draw. This doesn't mean we can't do better than the offerings we have now, but capitalist economics demands that certain match-ups/game slots would result in a lower revenue than if the fixture was manipulated. And we all know the AFL is all about revenue.

I understand their reasoning, I just don't agree with it. Like Superstar swan said, I don't think it matters who plays Friday night anymore as far as ratings go. People will still watch.

Plus sharing it among teams, even strong teams, avoids the possible scenario we have this year with Carlton sucking it up every other week.

The fixturing directly impacts the clubs' bottom line, as Eddie made quite clear last year when he demanded compensation for playing 1 Sunday night game.
Either even up the fixture (preferable), or the clubs with favourable draws pay compensation. It is one or the other, and that's without even getting into the impact of exposure for sponsors and new fans etc.

Yeah, but when Vic clubs get shitty fixtures, they're not on TV.

Non-vic clubs get all their games on FTA back into their home markets. 'Worst case' there is a slight delay and they're 'only' on 7mate.

Vic clubs getting shitty fixtures are on foxtel only.

gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Teams should get games based on matchups and the excitement that game will bring

Lately I haven't been watching too much prime time because it's boring.
Tigers v Eagles and Dogs v Lions
who really wants to watch that?
Port v Cats no way

AFL needs to give the fans quality viewing during these slots

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Missing nuthin' Kranka ... institutionalised handouts just code for FIXturing ... some clubs cant pull a crowd on their own, i.e the intra state footy model going back to the VFL/SANFL/WAFL days .... shock horror, its a national comp, wall to wall TV cover.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah, but when Vic clubs get shitty fixtures, they're not on TV.

Non-vic clubs get all their games on FTA back into their home markets. 'Worst case' there is a slight delay and they're 'only' on 7mate.

Vic clubs getting shitty fixtures are on foxtel only.

Another Melbourne problem?

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Teams should get games based on matchups and the excitement that game will bring

Lately I haven't been watching too much prime time because it's boring.
Tigers v Eagles and Dogs v Lions
who really wants to watch that?
Port v Cats no way

AFL needs to give the fans quality viewing during these slots

How do you propose they work out a year in advance what will be a good game or not? Btw, that was a cracking game, one of the best that have been on Friday night this year. Not good enough to make up for all the Carlton though.

Teams should get a reasonably equal run at Friday nights, no more than four each or something like that. Higher proportion of games showing top 8 v top 8 from the previous year.

It's pretty clear most people in this thread have't read the article, nor have they understood why Newbold has made this statement.

The AFL are about to hand a fresh set of special considerations to GWS, Sydney, GC and Brisbane.

"Hawthorn has sensationally declared it will walk away from the AFL's chief equalisation measure if the northern-based clubs are allowed to exclusively access future draft picks this season .

By using future picks in trading, the northern clubs will able to go into deficit under the points-based system if they choose to match high bids for multiple players. Clubs with father-son options may also have the right to trade into the future."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...afl-revenue-share-scheme-20150622-ghug6f.html

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back