AFL Game Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this email is somewhat some good news. In the next 2 months you can expect news, screenies etc to start coming from left right and centre.;

Hi Aidan,

Thanks for your support and feedback.

Big Ant have obviously been very busy with both games, and now that Rugby League Live has been announced we can start to talk about AFL. I would expect information to start filtering through within the next 2 months.

Best Regards,

David Robles
Business Development Manager
Home Entertainment Suppliers P/L
Tru Blu Games

Wow, Can't believe they got back to you! They never replied to me!

I've got two ideas for the game cover:

Either have all 16 club captains on it with the ball either kicking, marking or handballing.

Or a more simple idea, have Ablett about to kick the ball on the left, Judd about to handball the ball on the right, and Buddy in the middle taking an overhead mark. This would have the 3 basic techniques of the game on the front cover preformed by a few of the game's best players.

Either have all 16 club captains on it with the ball either kicking, marking or handballing.

Or a more simple idea, have Ablett about to kick the ball on the left, Judd about to handball the ball on the right, and Buddy in the middle taking an overhead mark. This would have the 3 basic techniques of the game on the front cover preformed by a few of the game's best players.

i think there gonna stay away from having ablett on the cover just incase he decides to head to the GC. EA sports had a bit of trouble with i think it was NFL 10? they had a player on the cover who then was traded to a different team and there was alot of talk on whether EA should change the cover or not. i dont think big ant needs (or wants) any more negativity around there game.

Bit different complaining about a game that goes on about how much effort it puts into making it all looking realistic.

And when there are many games in that specific Racing "simulator" genre.

How many AFL games are there?
What's it matter what other games there are?

Big Ant stated that their game was approaching "photo realistic graphics", so they are also "going on about how realistic it is".;)

Also just FWIW PD are mainly going on about how much they're putting into the premium cars, which anyone who has taken a look at them would admit they are phenomenal.
Exactly. hutchiebn00b is just dumb.

I was laughing at how the biggest and most hyped car sim ever (which has been in development for around 5 years) has stickers for headlights in some of their cars. Not only that but 80% of the cars don't even have a cockpit view.
Was already highlighted that standard cars will have cockpit views...

At the end of the day they're both games and both up for ridicule regardless of it being 'an Australian made game' and I hardly think it should be let off because of that fact as well. Australian companies can make games just as good looking as anywhere else in the world, look at 2K Australia (and most likely LA Noire from Team Bondi).

Sure we all want good gameplay and blah, blah, blah. But we shouldn't have to be settling for a s**t looking game either, which in comparison to most games that NRL title is one. It looks barely like an upgrade from the Wii version ffs.

What's it matter what other games there are?

Big Ant stated that their game was approaching "photo realistic graphics", so they are also "going on about how realistic it is".;)

Also just FWIW PD are mainly going on about how much they're putting into the premium cars, which anyone who has taken a look at them would admit they are phenomenal.Was already highlighted that standard cars will have cockpit views...

At the end of the day they're both games and both up for ridicule regardless of it being 'an Australian made game' and I hardly think it should be let off because of that fact as well. Australian companies can make games just as good looking as anywhere else in the world, look at 2K Australia (and most likely LA Noire from Team Bondi).

Sure we all want good gameplay and blah, blah, blah. But we shouldn't have to be settling for a s**t looking game either, which in comparison to most games that NRL title is one. It looks barely like an upgrade from the Wii version ffs.

I've been avoiding replying to these posts as it's just going to turn into a forum to rubbish Big Ant (as happens to most companies once screenshots come out) and I'm just not interested in being part of that.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I know a few guys at Big Ant as I work in the industry in Melbourne too (it's a small industry). Once I read about the announcement of Rugby League Live, I met up with a few of them to congratulate them.

While I was talking to them I asked them about AFL. As expected, they didn't tell me anything about the game apart from the fact that it's looking "awesome". The subject then changed and then I went back to my pint.

Personally I'm just happy to wait for screenshots and footage of this game instead of speculating.

Let the rebuking begin.

I've been avoiding replying to these posts as it's just going to turn into a forum to rubbish Big Ant (as happens to most companies once screenshots come out) and I'm just not interested in being part of that.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I know a few guys at Big Ant as I work in the industry in Melbourne too (it's a small industry). Once I read about the announcement of Rugby League Live, I met up with a few of them to congratulate them.

While I was talking to them I asked them about AFL. As expected, they didn't tell me anything about the game apart from the fact that it's looking "awesome". The subject then changed and then I went back to my pint.

Personally I'm just happy to wait for screenshots and footage of this game instead of speculating.

Let the rebuking begin.
Fair enough, but way too many devs say a game is awesome until it's out, then the real stuff can come out. I highlight Alpha Protocol for one ("Oh this game is great, this game is great" *game is released* "the development was s**t, everything was wrong, etc.").

Sure speculating on the NRL game's engine being used for this AFL title probably un-founded. But I could swear that there was something said about this game using a Rugby game's engine...memory is extremely hazy on this and I cbf going back through more than 1000 posts to try and find it, but I can remember something about a Rugby titles game being used for another sports title or this very AFL title.

And IF it is this game's engine then it won't look spectacular unless Big Ant put more into the AFL game than the NRL one, which just wouldn't seem right.

Once again though, I am having a go at Big Ant's choice to say they are nearing "photo realistic graphics", that comment right there opens themselves up to ridicule and I don't see how anyone could want to "give them a break" for doing so either.

Any other company who wants to say that and then comes out with a Wii looking title deserve the exact ridicule, regardless of budget, company size. If it ain't true, don't say it. Ok, right now the AFL game looks like nothing as we haven't seen it, but if the NRL game is to be taken as an example, the previous comment from Big Ant is blatantly false. It's simple, don't bullshit us and expect sympathy when it turns out it to be false.

Yeah this idea is good.

Fair enough, but way too many devs say a game is awesome until it's out, then the real stuff can come out. I highlight Alpha Protocol for one ("Oh this game is great, this game is great" *game is released* "the development was s**t, everything was wrong, etc.").

Was that the developers themselves (and I'm talking about artists / programmers etc, not the management / company) or their PR department?

I would guess PR. What do you expect them to say? I was talking to friends not a PR department, and if they say it looks awesome, I believe them.

Saying that, I agree that it is up to them to prove themselves.

Sure speculating on the NRL game's engine being used for this AFL title probably un-founded. But I could swear that there was something said about this game using a Rugby game's engine...memory is extremely hazy on this and I cbf going back through more than 1000 posts to try and find it, but I can remember something about a Rugby titles game being used for another sports title or this very AFL title.

And IF it is this game's engine then it won't look spectacular unless Big Ant put more into the AFL game than the NRL one, which just wouldn't seem right.

Once again though, I am having a go at Big Ant's choice to say they are nearing "photo realistic graphics", that comment right there opens themselves up to ridicule and I don't see how anyone could want to "give them a break" for doing so either.

Any other company who wants to say that and then comes out with a Wii looking title deserve the exact ridicule, regardless of budget, company size. If it ain't true, don't say it. Ok, right now the AFL game looks like nothing as we haven't seen it, but if the NRL game is to be taken as an example, the previous comment from Big Ant is blatantly false. It's simple, don't bullshit us and expect sympathy when it turns out it to be false.

We'll just have to wait and see if it does turn out to be false. But the sooner we get to see screenshots the better.

Was that the developers themselves (and I'm talking about artists / programmers etc, not the management / company) or their PR department?

I would guess PR. What do you expect them to say? I was talking to friends not a PR department, and if they say it looks awesome, I believe them.

Saying that, I agree that it is up to them to prove themselves.
I can't remember each time who it was, but generally I think there were a few programmers who would do it. I'd have to look over a few preview vids, but there were definitely more actual devs saying that it would be good in interviews and such defying what was going on behind the scenes which came out once the game was released.
We'll just have to wait and see if it does turn out to be false. But the sooner we get to see screenshots the better.
Definitely. Guess we've only got a couple of months for something.

Seems like strange marketing that HES go with, 3 months until NRL is released and it was literally JUST announced. I guess all the "HTFU" and "Is this game going to come out" is just HES's way of doing things to give us everything a few months before it's out. Strange strategy still IMO (especially with the AFL title having been announced nearing 2 years and we've got more info about the NRL title than the AFL one).

My bet is that the AFL and NRL games will release close enough to each other, neither market will hurt the other really. NRL titles will sell well in NZ and the Northern parts of Australia (plus sporadically in England I'd guess). While the AFL title will sell well in Victoria and probably sporadically in the other states.

I can't remember each time who it was, but generally I think there were a few programmers who would do it. I'd have to look over a few preview vids, but there were definitely more actual devs saying that it would be good in interviews and such defying what was going on behind the scenes which came out once the game was released.Definitely. Guess we've only got a couple of months for something.

Thats all PR to me, all on the record, not just friends down the pub. Unfortunately, as I said before, they wouldn't tell me anything about it, just that it looking really good. Not that I expected any more.

Seems like strange marketing that HES go with, 3 months until NRL is released and it was literally JUST announced. I guess all the "HTFU" and "Is this game going to come out" is just HES's way of doing things to give us everything a few months before it's out. Strange strategy still IMO (especially with the AFL title having been announced nearing 2 years and we've got more info about the NRL title than the AFL one).

My bet is that the AFL and NRL games will release close enough to each other, neither market will hurt the other really. NRL titles will sell well in NZ and the Northern parts of Australia (plus sporadically in England I'd guess). While the AFL title will sell well in Victoria and probably sporadically in the other states.

It does seem strange. I totally agree with your last point, they don't compete with each other at all really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would mean Ling would be on it...I love Lingy but...he isn't the prettiest bloke to have on a cover for a game :p

Hope the AFL game is good. It's only been like 2 years since we had any info about it.

One thing that I would like in this game is realistic draftees etc. In '07 and before, you could draft Judd, Goodes, Cousins at 1 in the draft. The National Draft!!! They should have draftees that have names that are randomly generated. Not Matthew Sandilands or Chris Kirk. And there should be like 1 or 2 players in the draft that are like Daniel Rich in his first season. Can put them straight into the team. ----------------- ANother thing I think should be in the game is Confidence. If you are down by 40 points or so in the last quarter, your confidence would drop and disposal effectiveness would drop and you would miss easy goal. You'd have a bar for this for each player. I think it will be released near the same time as Rugby League Live

One thing that I would like in this game is realistic draftees etc. In '07 and before, you could draft Judd, Goodes, Cousins at 1 in the draft. The National Draft!!! They should have draftees that have names that are randomly generated. Not Matthew Sandilands or Chris Kirk. And there should be like 1 or 2 players in the draft that are like Daniel Rich in his first season. Can put them straight into the team. ----------------- ANother thing I think should be in the game is Confidence. If you are down by 40 points or so in the last quarter, your confidence would drop and disposal effectiveness would drop and you would miss easy goal. You'd have a bar for this for each player. I think it will be released near the same time as Rugby League Live

+1 to this idea. :thumbsu:

U think a company is going to release 2 games at the same time?
Competing with themsleves to get little johnnys pocket money?

Little johnny sees rugby league game on shelf an wants it, he then sees AFL game on shelf an wants it, but he can only afford 1.
So they will def not release them at the same time.
Screenshots have now been released for rugby game.
So it will be on sale in 2-3months time.
Then after its been on sale for a few weeks They may realease AFL screenshots but they wouldnt release it for another 2-3months after that which is after football season.

So my guess is we wont be seeing the AFL game until around March next year
:(

An you realise they have to pay $$$ to put sports people on the cover so they wont be putting lots of ppl on the cover.

U think a company is going to release 2 games at the same time?
Competing with themsleves to get little johnnys pocket money?

Little johnny sees rugby league game on shelf an wants it, he then sees AFL game on shelf an wants it, but he can only afford 1.
So they will def not release them at the same time.
Screenshots have now been released for rugby game.
So it will be on sale in 2-3months time.
Then after its been on sale for a few weeks They may realease AFL screenshots but they wouldnt release it for another 2-3months after that which is after football season.

So my guess is we wont be seeing the AFL game until around March next year
:(

An you realise they have to pay $$$ to put sports people on the cover so they wont be putting lots of ppl on the cover.

There's a big banner on the Big Ant website stating "AFL - Coming in 2010"

They've updated the bigant website:

www.bigant.com said:
"Rugby League Live" announced
for Playstation 3 and Xbox360

Due for release on September 2nd 2010 Rugby League Live will feature 40+ licensed teams from competitions such as the NRL, Super League, State of Origin, City v Country, and World Cup.

AFL!
Now that we have released info on Rugby League Live, expect news on the upcoming Australian Football League game for the Xbox360, Playstation3, and PC here soon!

As I have been living in the Uk the past few months and playing cricket and then will be doing lots of travel between August and end of October when come home to Aus, I am more than happy for the game to come out in September, I will get my Aussie Rules fix over the summer!!!!

For anyone else though in Aus, it seems like such a strange decision to release a game at the end of the season, well if it came out in September, in the Finals Series, because whilst the game might be popular for the rest of the season and maybe a short time after woods, roll around season 2011 and there is a stack of new players and players delisted or traded and people will complain or not be so interested in the game?

I really do hope for that side of things that the game has an editor, even a simple editor like on the PS2 versions of AFL, Where you could change the names, etc but could change some attributes as well, it would be enough just for the die hards to be somewhat happy that they can update the rosters etc

I was probably one of few that was actually pretty happy with the 06/07? series of games on the ps2 , It was simple yet fun when playing 2 players, but playing a season by yourself was horrible, and as long as the game play in terms of making it harder to kick goals is better then I think I would be pretty happy.

Graphics to me are not that much of a big deal, yes it would be great if they were fantastic but I don't hold much hope out of an AFL game being like a Fifa/NBA, just as long as the game is enjoyable to play multiplayer or a season mode by yourself then it will be good enough for me

What will that AFL game be called?
Will it be like FIFA and be called 'AFL 11' or will it just be 'Aussie Rules', Australian Football' or something like that...

SMAN-21: Lets see. EA Sports released Madden 10 on 13th Aug, NHL 10 on 15th Sept, Fifa 10 on 1st Oct and NBA Live 10 on 6th Oct. and 2k Sports released NHL 2k10 on 15th Sept and NBA 2k10 on 6th Oct. Although Big Ant dont have the same money, im sure they are capable of selling 2 games a month or so out from each other. NRL will sell well in NSW and QLD. AFL will sell well in VIC,WA,SA,TAS,NT.

SMAN-21: Lets see.EA Sports released Madden 10 on 13th Aug, NHL 10 on 15th Sept, Fifa 10 on 1st Oct and NBA Live 10 on 6th Oct. and 2k Sports released NHL 2k10 on 15th Sept and NBA 2k10 on 6th Oct. Although Big Ant dont have the same money, im sure they are capable of selling 2 games a month or so out from each other. NRL will sell well in NSW and QLD. AFL will sell well in VIC,WA,SA,TAS,NT.
Also add New Zealand to that who were said to be the one's to actually get enough momentum for this title to get going, also potentially England too.

Just for reference, not like it's hugely meaningful being PSP titles. But AFL and NRL Challenge both released on the exact same day. Granted they were both released to limited states as well. I don't think there's a lot of worry that they'll clash with each other too massively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back