AFL going Stand Alone

Remove this Banner Ad

The restructure of the Northern Blues took place prior to the start of the 2012 season, but you have the rest of it pretty well right. It is as close to having a stand alone team as you can be without actually having a stand alone team. For the Bullants it was the only way they were going to survive as a football club. For Coburg, once the Tigers pull the pin, that will be just about it. Sad, but pretty much a reflection of the demographics of the Coburg (Moreland) region.
I am afraid that will happen to Bendigo as well. It's a good effort that they made it 1 season alone, I didn't think they would get that far.

Im confussed, how did Bendigo go it alone in 2012? because you said "It's a good effort that they made it 1 season alone" So if it wasnt Bendigo, who was that team.
Well they are playing 2013 aren't they... You don't fold half way through a season...

Bendigo's recruiting so far has been ok. Aussie Jones has his work cut out to work with the BFL and give kids in the local league a chance.

I'm confident that their performance in 2013 will be more successful than when they first joined the VFA/VFL as the Diggers.

I can't see any real problems with 18 teams in the competition. I agree it will be difficult for Coburg to survive from 2014 onwards, but hopefully with Phil Cleary back at the club they can get a little more media exposure and try to entice the locals to come down to the ground. It's a just a shame that the council hasn't really done much to upgrade facilities at the ground, but I guess that's a common issue! I would have preferred them to revert back to the proper Lions name, but I guess that will have to wait another year.

As an outsider there doesn't seem to be much of Preston Football Club left at Cramer Street. The name, song, colours, and number of games in Preston have all changed... As posters above have stated, it really is a Carlton operation. They just get the advantage of having a thirds!

Still... I am really looking forward to 2013... And with Williamstown returning rightly to a stand-alone side, there is plenty to look forward to in the coming years.

The other main problem is the league will become lopsided. Having my own team starting one up I can see already that the AFL team VFL sides will dominate. Because Essendon is a powerful club, it has given us enough room to be able to afford Duscher, Toy, Bate, Sikora, Freezer etc.

Frankston however couldn't buy one of these players.

What we are going to see is ladders like this more often then not:

The AFL clubs: (1-5)

Essendon
Collingwood
Geelong
Richmond
Western Bulldogs

AFL aligned clubs: (6-11)

Northern Blues
Box Hill
Casey Scorpions
North Ballarat
Werribee
Sandringham

Stand Alone 12-16
Port Melbourne
Williamstown
Bendigo
Coburg
Frankston

My 2015 predicted ladder (Provided everyone survives):

1 Essendon
2 Collingwood
3 Geelong
4 Port Melbourne
5 Richmond
6 Casey Scorpions
7 Northern Blues
8 Williamstown
9 Western Bulldogs
10 Box Hill
11 North Ballarat
12 Sandringham
13 Werribee
14 Bendigo
15 Frankston
16 Coburg

Our team is really exciting me, and it looks like we put more emphasis on getting a better VFL team than Collingwood. Casey and Port for now will be alright as they retain most of the list, and the Blues will improve by Carlton taking more and more of the reigns. Williamstown are a strong club and will be able to withstand the fight and bring in some decent players when they lose the Dogs. The Bulldogs are struggling in the AFL so how are they going to supply a VFL team? They are only where they are because the Dogs kids will keep improving. Box Hill and North Ballarat are stable side with decent feeding from Hawthorn and North. Sandy have lost the big ruckman Sikora to Essendon, and a couple to Bendigo. As they keep losing players, they will drop. Werribee have looked good, but don't think they will retain it and you have the 3 stand alone trundlers at the bottom.

What that shows is that most AFL teams will be near the top (4 of top 5), then you will have the AFL aligned (in order of their own stability) and the Stand Alone's near the bottom. Williamstown and Port will survive, but Bendigo, Frankston and Coburg will only manage to win games against each other.

Bendigo will survive past a season. As part of the 'grand plan for country football', AFL HQ wants money poured into Bendigo Gold so it provides a pathway for under 23 footballers in Northern Victoria.

Seriously deluded, already has Essendon on top of the ladder. lol.
I honestly think we have put more effort into our VFL team than any other AFL team.

Duscher, Sikora, Freezer, Toy, Bate, Fahey to name some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think we have put more effort into our VFL team than any other AFL team.

Duscher, Sikora, Freezer, Toy, Bate, Fahey to name some.

You are seriously on drugs... and I follow Essendon in the AFL.

Considering the usual injuries at the Dons, it should provide a good percentage booster for Port Melbourne.

Dons will be lucky to make the 8.

IMHO, the side that's recruited the best during off-season... Williamstown, closely followed by Frankston. Willi to push for top of the table, Frankston to push for 7th/8th.

You are seriously on drugs... and I follow Essendon in the AFL.

Considering the usual injuries at the Dons, it should provide a good percentage booster for Port Melbourne.

Dons will be lucky to make the 8.

IMHO, the side that's recruited the best during off-season... Williamstown, closely followed by Frankston. Willi to push for top of the table, Frankston to push for 7th/8th.
That was a 2015 ladder, not 2013 ;)

You can't say I am on drugs, yet say that Frankston will make top 8...

Tell what is wrong with Duscher, Sikora Freezer, Firman, Toy, Bate and Fahey is? We also have Thompson in the fold as a solid contributor

Frankston will do a lot better this season, Essendon will flog it up in the VFL, Gold will hopefully sit around the middle.
My 2013 ladder:
Port
Seagulls
Cats 2
Roosters
Tigers
BHH
Magpies 2
Zebras
Gold
Blues 2
Frankston
Scum 2
Casey
Coburg

My take

F
My 2013 ladder:
Port
Seagulls
Cats 2
Roosters
Tigers
BHH
Magpies 2
Zebras
Gold
Blues 2
Frankston
Scum 2
Casey
Coburg

My take

Have you seen the restructuring/coaching changes and player turnover? Not to mention the inevitable massive change in game plan based around Richmonds. Unlike Essendon winning the flag Coburg should be back in finals contention. Plus we have a Hawaiian Iron Man as senior coach, so we will be super fit.

Have you seen the restructuring/coaching changes and player turnover? Not to mention the inevitable massive change in game plan based around Richmonds. Unlike Essendon winning the flag Coburg should be back in finals contention. Plus we have a Hawaiian Iron Man as senior coach, so we will be super fit.

I put them at the bottom so no one whined about favourites, but realistically I know it's basically the Tigers in Conurg Colours but it'll be a preperational year for the official name change.

That was 2015 ladder before. Will do 2013.

1 Casey Scorpions
2 Williamstown
3 Port Melbourne
4 Werribee
5 Geelong
6 Essendon
7 North Ballarat
8 Box Hill
9 Sandringham
10 Northern Blues
11 Collingwood
12 Frankston
13 Bendigo
14 Coburg

How about you piss off all the reserves sides?

The AFL should organise it's own reserves comp and not expect other leagues to pick up the slack for it.

Yep. The afl should've kept the reserves comp.

They've ruined the VFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back