AFL going Stand Alone

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. The afl should've kept the reserves comp.

They've ruined the VFA

That may have been the plan all along - little brother decides its time to put big brother down.

I honestly think we have put more effort into our VFL team than any other AFL team.

Duscher, Sikora, Freezer, Toy, Bate, Fahey to name some.

Strange that a Geelong VFL side made up entirely of players trying out for our VFL top-up list beat Essendon's VFL side in a practice match a few weeks ago then, isn't it?

I have been a strong supporter of VFL/VFA footy, and think it is a shame that the AFL has destroyed it, I now think it is time to split again and have a separate AFL reserves.
Clubs would be
GC Suns
Bris Lions
Syd Swans
UWS Giants
Adelaide Crows
Port A Power
WC Eagles
Peel Dockers
Collingwood Magpies
Carlton Blues
Essendon Bombers
Geelong Cats
Footscray Bulldogs
Moorabin Saints
Richmond Tigers
Casey Demons
Box Hill Hawks
North Ballarat Kangaroos

The VFA would become the third tier in Melbourne, but could survive with AFL funding.
Willi
Port
Werribee
Frankston
Coburg Lions
Preston Bullants
Sandy
Bendigo Gold
Box Hill Mustangs (aligned with BHH - supp players could drop back to VFA)
Casey Scorpions (aligned with Demons)

WAFL reverts to 8 teams without Peel.
NT Thunder join SANFL
NEAFL disbanded - QAFL, Sydney & Canberra comps return to local.
You could still have a Foxtel Cup with the 7 state league premiers & NT.

Haha, how convenient for Essendon. Their supporters never did think about the good of other clubs.
I'd have the 8 interstate sides fielding seperate reserves teams in their local league (WAFL, SANFL, NEAFL), rename the current VFL as the VFA and allow that league to run on it's own, for the history of the clubs' sake.
Then, I would have a reserves-based VFL implemented, consisting of:
Carlton, playing at Princes Park
Collingwood, playing at Victoria Park
Essendon, playing at Windy Hill (even after the move to the new training base)
Fitzroy, playing at Brunswick Oval, acting as a Brisbane Lions feeder team
Footscray, playing at the Whitten Oval
Geelong, playing at Kardinia Park
Hawthorn, playing at Glenferrie Oval
Melbourne, playing at the Junction Oval (particularly if the new upgrade goes through for Cricket Victoria)
North Melbourne, playing at Arden Street Oval
Richmond, playing at Punt Road
St Kilda, playing at Moorabin
South Melbourne, playing at the Junction Oval (can alternate with Melbourne now that Lakeside is a soccer ground)

You'd bring some diehard Fitzroy and South Melbourne supporters back to the footy, offer clubs the chance to run their own agenda, give the supporters a game to watch when their team is interstate and also bring back the old suburban feeling. I'm a Ferntree Gully boy from the East but I'll be getting down to the Whitten Oval as much as possible next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back