AFL Going To USA To Investigate Equalisation Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
In what has to be another farce by the AFL, they are sending a group over to the USA on a fact-finding mission in regards to equalising the competition :

The AFL has strategically hand-picked six club chiefs to join bosses Andrew Demetriou and Gillon McLachlan on a July mission to New York to investigate American football's sophisticated equalisation formula. The aim is to close the growing divide between rich and poor clubs.

I don't like the idea of engineering a level playing field for clubs who can't be bothered doing the right thing or trying to, instead they just wait for the handouts and don't have to work for it.

The Hawthorn chap summed up my thoughts pretty well in this article :

Said Newbold: ''Why are Hawthorn - who are innovative and have worked bloody hard to get ourselves to where we are now - being penalised because the Bulldogs have to write out cheques each year to play games at Etihad Stadium?''

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bid-for-level-playing-field-20130517-2js4f.html#ixzz2TYdLzWGE

In what has to be another farce by the AFL, they are sending a group over to the USA on a fact-finding mission in regards to equalising the competition :

I don't like the idea of engineering a level playing field for clubs who can't be bothered doing the right thing or trying to, instead they just wait for the handouts and don't have to work for it.

The Hawthorn chap summed up my thoughts pretty well in this article :

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bid-for-level-playing-field-20130517-2js4f.html#ixzz2TYdLzWGE

i'm sorry but sinking money into etihad whilst geelong (a similar sized club) is making bulk $$$ off of skilled, is a bit hard to swallow

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
i'm sorry but sinking money into etihad whilst geelong (a similar sized club) is making bulk $$$ off of skilled, is a bit hard to swallow

That may be so but surely they are reaping the rewards of being better businessmen ??

My club has signed a dud deal at Etihad as well as yours and we have to wear it that we have basically c0cked up !!

Why should the AFL provide bailouts when the problems a club is enduring is purely of their own doing ??

Sorry, don't agree with that at all.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Andrew Demetriou and his men are clueless.

Find me a sport Vlad where all teams are equal and every has an equal chance to succeed. Life isn't equal to all and nor is sport.

Simple Jack

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Webber, Ricciardo, NE Patriots
That may be so but surely they are reaping the rewards of being better businessmen ??

My club has signed a dud deal at Etihad as well as yours and we have to wear it that we have basically c0cked up !!

Why should the AFL provide bailouts when the problems a club is enduring is purely of their own doing ??

Because despite repeated requests by my club and probably your club, North and the Bulldogs, the AFL refuse to schedule us at our ground of choice so they can fill their quota of Etihad games.

We are paying for the stadium, that's why we're currently screwed.

correct me if i am wrong but carltons deal is better than ours.

back then we werent in a position to negotiate, we were also in a better position financially than geelong. i believe the AFL were more interested in turning geelong around financially than using them to contribute to the etihad fund

i am not sure how you can use the "better businessmen" line

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Oilers, Mariners, Clippers
Andrew Demetriou and his men are clueless.

Find me a sport Vlad where all teams are equal and every has an equal chance to succeed. Life isn't equal to all and nor is sport.

The NFL is like that.

Because they generate so much $ in TV revenue - and distribute it equally to all clubs - every team can afford any player they want. Even Green Bay, the smallest market in the league, can compete with New York because of the shared revenue, drafting in reverse order of finish and the salary cap.

With that system in place, it comes down to the quality of management to determine a team's fate. Exactly the way it should be. If you make poor moves in that system, you deserve to be bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
The NFL is like that.

Because they generate so much $ in TV revenue - and distribute it equally to all clubs - every team can afford any player they want. Even Green Bay, the smallest market in the league, can compete with New York because of the shared revenue, drafting in reverse order of finish and the salary cap.

With that system in place, it comes down to the quality of management to determine a team's fate. Exactly the way it should be. If you make poor moves in that system, you deserve to be bad.
The NFL is like that.

Yet the majority of NFL titles these days are won by Green Bay, NYG, Dallas, New England, Baltimore and so on.

Teams may have more opportunity to be okay finance wise, but there are still going to be teams behind the eight ball. It's just the way sport works.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yet the majority of NFL titles these days are won by Green Bay, NYG, Dallas, New England, Baltimore and so on.

Teams may have more opportunity to be okay finance wise, but there are still going to be teams behind the eight ball. It's just the way sport works.
The Cowboys haven't won a title in almost 20 years, only 4 months after Carlton's last premiership.

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams

The point is, sport is about equal OPPORTUNITY, not just giving everybody their turn with the championship. Every team has the same opportunity, if they are smart enough to be successful or dumb enough to stay on the bottom - that is completely up to them.

Sport is about equal opportunity, what teams do with that opportunity is up to them.

The EPL is the poorest run league in the world with four or five teams at the top every year and the rest with no chance.

Ogopogo

All Australian
Apr 11, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Start by making the draw even. Stop thinking with only $$$ and crowd sizes in mind. Play each team once a season.

It's not f***ing rocket science.

Because of the $, there will never be less than 22 games per season. To even out the draw, divisions would need to be created - you play teams in your division twice and teams out of your division once. Then, to further even things out, you have wildcard teams for the finals so teams in a tough division have a fair chance.

Money will always be the driving factor, you just need to try to find a mechanism that can work effectively in a money-driven sports business.

Balance

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
Am I the only one here who wants more than 22 games per season? Can be done.

AlibiMonday

I'm sorry, Dave.
Sep 21, 2006
London
AFL Club
Sydney
Gosh, there's a reasonable amount of ignorance in this thread.

I don't think anyone is interested in rewarding mis-management, but the nature if the competition's current structure would mean that a period (say 3 years) of either poor management, recruiting, development or coaching could have such a detrimental effect that ultimately would render it near impossible to win a premiership for 10-15 years. Such is the task of bridging the gap against clubs that generate excellent income and thus a rewarded with further scheduling opportunities.

When clubs aren't able to compete at all levels, collectively we ultimately lose interest in the competition. Melbourne's situation illustrates clearly that the salary cap and draft are simply not enough to resurrect this club. If there is no further intervention from the governing body, then there's the real risk of liquidation - under no circumstances is that good for the game or the collective. The AFL could lose 15% of its revenue quite quickly if it's not careful. We're already seeing a plateauing of crowds and income.

Good management needs to be rewarded with an "edge". Currently, the edge that well managed and supported clubs is more of a widening chasm and poorer clubs or clubs that are mis-managed for brief period are getting sucked into it, especially if the "edge" is really an arms race fuelled by excess revenue.

They'll come back and boot Fremantle, Carlton, St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Melbourne out of the league. While relocating Hawthorn to Launceston, North Melbourne to Hobart, Greater Western Sydney to Canberra, Port Adelaide to Darwin and Richmond to Cairns.

Afterall, it helps NFL clubs to be 1 team towns (with the exception of New York, so Melbourne can be our New York)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back