AFL Hands Upper Hand to VIC Club - Academies.

Remove this Banner Ad

I see it as more for developing regional and remote indigenous players who can't necessarily get the coaching needed to progress or access decent facilities without travelling to the big smoke. It can only be beneficial for the growth of the game.

Us and the Eagles as well as Port and Adelaide should get this sort of thing for WA and SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't actually get too exited by this tbh. Most of the draftees in the draft do not fit the description in the article. I'm not sure who qualifies but I certainly don't think we'll be getting an absolute star every year. In fact any half decent player we are able to get is a bonus.

It is just so we don't loose talents like Waylen Manson. Who knows what that kid could've been. I doubt we'll get a Hogan/O'Meara type through this.

I wouldn't actually get too exited by this tbh. Most of the draftees in the draft do not fit the description in the article. I'm not sure who qualifies but I certainly don't think we'll be getting an absolute star every year. In fact any half decent player we are able to get is a bonus.

It is just so we don't loose talents like Waylen Manson. Who knows what that kid could've been. I doubt we'll get a Hogan/O'Meara type through this.
Sydney have been able to get Heeney and other quality. Thats kind of the point of these things, we get to cream off 1 or 2 of the elite by getting first preference in the bidding system.

Sydney have been able to get Heeney and other quality. Thats kind of the point of these things, we get to cream off 1 or 2 of the elite by getting first preference in the bidding system.
Ok, re-read the article (only skim read last time) and whilst they go on about disadvantaged/indigenous players there's actually nothing there that says teams can't just sign whoever they want into these acedemies. I'm not sure this is the way it is or just poor journalism.

Hard to say if I like this tbh. Given how rubbish the talent has been out of WA recently I'd say this is actually a negative to our club but if we trained the youngsters from a young age this could change.

Well its probably a good thing just very overdue for remote WA indigenous kids. Is it just me or has Hawthorn got a really big chunk of area and population in the ever expanding east of Melbourne plus the NT plus whatever they get from Tassie compared to say North Melbourne?

Article talks about specific groups of people 'Asian, African, Indigenous'. Lot more indigenous kids in Perth than Melbourne where the focus will be on the first two - does that mean we actually get access to them or will it only be if they are from regional WA?

Ok, re-read the article (only skim read last time) and whilst they go on about disadvantaged/indigenous players there's actually nothing there that says teams can't just sign whoever they want into these acedemies. I'm not sure this is the way it is or just poor journalism.

Hard to say if I like this tbh. Given how rubbish the talent has been out of WA recently I'd say this is actually a negative to our club but if we trained the youngsters from a young age this could change.
but imagine in the years that there is a Jack Martin quality talent in the the pool.

Ok, re-read the article (only skim read last time) and whilst they go on about disadvantaged/indigenous players there's actually nothing there that says teams can't just sign whoever they want into these acedemies.

The way I read it is these academies will be set up in the areas they are allocated so the clubs will be limited to kids from that area. I don't think they can for example, sign someone from the NT and put them into a regional Victorian academy. I could be wrong but that's my take.

Well its probably a good thing just very overdue for remote WA indigenous kids. Is it just me or has Hawthorn got a really big chunk of area and population in the ever expanding east of Melbourne plus the NT plus whatever they get from Tassie compared to say North Melbourne?
Hawthorn has Katherine, which really so far has produced SFA for anything let alone our game. So guess the AFL has given a rich club the incentive to try extract something from the region.

But there's swathes of areas in WA where potential players just don't have the opportunity or avenue. Which I feel at least is what the AFL is attempting to tackle nationwide.

There's a nice handy river down the middle of Perth, that's all the border we need to work out regions.

Not sure it would be a fair cut, South of the River has a lot more people than NOR does. SOR includes Mandurah, Bunbury, Albany etc.

Article talks about specific groups of people 'Asian, African, Indigenous'. Lot more indigenous kids in Perth than Melbourne where the focus will be on the first two - does that mean we actually get access to them or will it only be if they are from regional WA?
Take it you've never been to Koondoola, Girrawheen etc. very high Sudanese and Burmese population.

This whole idea is about growing the game to new markets. This is a good thing even if we don't find any star players from it. AFL wants to kill soccer that's why they introduced it. They want clubs to target immigrants.

You have a player developing that will come cheap. The player may or may not become good it doesn't matter. It's the NEW fans that will come with the players.

The only hope Freo have of being bigger than West Coast is if we target the African and Asian supporter base. West Coast had a huge head start when they formed and the only way to bridge the gap is thru targeting new supporters to our team.

You want to see how multicultural Australia is don't watch Home and Away it's all white people, take your kids to school and look around at the kids in the class room. It's very diverse. That's future supporters/members, just gotta get them to relate to a player and then hopefully to our team.

AFL is going after soccer big time, they know the threat is real from the round ball.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back