AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

latest

Something like this will go down during the week.

Never understood why it was such an issue. Top premier league clubs do it all the time.
I guess Lyon made it an issue in his presser. he knows that you have to grovel to the AFL otherwise they get very vindictive. Same way you might grovel to a cop who pulls you over just to feed his ego and get away from the power maniac, what you really think is a v different matter.

Unless they decide to play injured/underdone players, or just truly don't give a stuff who they put out there (and the result that comes from it), the Dockers don't actually have much room to rest a whole bunch of players this week. They've only really got 30 players who could reasonably be considered "available" at the moment. TBH, I'd just allow continuity to continue and not flirt with form (they haven't been in stunning form as a side for most of the second half of the year, really) or fitness, and not try to be too cute with things this week.

Dockers' side for Round 23 vs. Port Adelaide?:

B: Zac Dawson - Luke McPharlin - Lee Spurr
HB: Garrick Ibbotson - Michael Johnson - Paul Duffield
C: Stephen Hill - Michael Barlow - Clancee Pearce
HF: Chris Mayne - Matthew Taberner - Danyle Pearce
F: Michael Walters - Matthew Pavlich - Jack Hannath
R: Jonathon Griffin - David Mundy - Lachie Neale
I: Nick Suban - Tendai Mzungu - Cameron Sutcliffe - Ed Langdon
E: Matt De Boer - Hayden Crozier - Max Duffy

Available
Brady Grey
Alex Pearce
Tanner Smith
Lachlan Weller

Rested
Aaron Sandilands (would be nice to see him play all 22 H&A games for just the second time in his career, but I think they'll give him a breather)

Injured
Michael Apeness
Hayden Ballantyne
Connor Blakely
Zac Clarke
Josh Deluca-Cardillo
Nathan Fyfe
Anthony Morabito

Suspended
Alex Silvagni
Ryan Crowley

Rookie List (not eligible to play)
Jacob Ballard
Ethan Hughes
Sean Hurley
Craig Moller
Tom Vandeleur

Retired
Colin Sylvia

Last edited:

Unless they decide to play injured/underdone players, or just truly don't give a stuff who they put out there (and the result that comes from it), the Dockers don't actually have much room to rest a whole bunch of players this week. They've only really got 28 players who could reasonably be considered "available" at the moment. TBH, I'd just allow continuity to continue and not flirt with form (they haven't been in stunning form as a side for most of the second half of the year, really) or fitness, and not try to be too cute with things this week.

Available
Brady Grey
Lachlan Weller

Rested
Aaron Sandilands (would be nice to see him play all 22 H&A games for just the second time in his career, but I think they'll give him a breather)

Injured
Michael Apeness
Hayden Ballantyne
Connor Blakely
Zac Clarke
Josh Deluca-Cardillo
Nathan Fyfe
Anthony Morabito

Suspended
Alex Silvagni
Ryan Crowley

Jacob Ballard
Ethan Hughes
Sean Hurley
Craig Moller
Tanner Smith
Tom Vandeleur

Retired
Colin Sylvia

Tanner Smith is actually on the main list. Blakely was a one week injury, trained this week from memory, Clarke one week suspension, Alex Pearce (but he's being rested).

I suspect Pav out for Taberner, Sandi for Clarke, Blakely for Mundy, Langdon to keep his spot, grey for Spurr or Sutcliffe, Max Duffy for Walters, Weller for D Pearce or Hill. Something like that.

Mark Evans was asked this question a few weeks ago.
Dwayne Russell: The resting of players Round 23, what's the policy there? Are clubs allowed to, well we saw Fremantle couple of years ago rest nine, they made ten changes that round, is that allowed?
Mark Evans: Well it's up to each club to manage their list as they see fit, it's not necessarily the best of looks but there's nothing against not playing a particular player. But there would be an expectation that once you've got a team on the field, that team's trying as hard as they can to win.

There is nothing in the current rules that prevents Fremantle resting all 22 from this week if they so choose. The author of the AFL article on the website knows this, it's a non story. Hopefully the betting agencies get scrumped out of a few dollars too.

The only issue would be if the AFL decides to get vindictive outside their own rules, which is always a possibility.

I mean really:

Dockers plead to rest players as Ross Lyon says:
"WE ARE FATIGUED"

It's pretty much a Woman's Day headline.
It was a direct quote from your coach.

You can't be happy with your coach telling the world that his players are stuffed as they try and launch for a flag tilt. Not good for the psyche.

It was a direct quote from your coach.

You can't be happy with your coach telling the world that his players are stuffed as they try and launch for a flag tilt. Not good for the psyche.

It's funny how people conveniently forget their bias vs. Ross "Lyin'" to suit their argument.

All teams are carrying niggles this time of the year. Most finals bound teams have been managing their players weeks ago. Because if all the furor caused by the mass resting in 2013, Freo have to tread lightly with this whole resting policy and make AFL house feel they have a say (even when they shouldn't) and a good reason why Freo want to do it.

Unless they decide to play injured/underdone players, or just truly don't give a stuff who they put out there (and the result that comes from it), the Dockers don't actually have much room to rest a whole bunch of players this week. They've only really got 30 players who could reasonably be considered "available" at the moment. TBH, I'd just allow continuity to continue and not flirt with form (they haven't been in stunning form as a side for most of the second half of the year, really) or fitness, and not try to be too cute with things this week.

Available
Brady Grey
Alex Pearce
Tanner Smith
Lachlan Weller

Rested

Injured
Michael Apeness
Hayden Ballantyne
Connor Blakely
Zac Clarke
Josh Deluca-Cardillo
Nathan Fyfe
Anthony Morabito

Suspended
Alex Silvagni
Ryan Crowley

Jacob Ballard
Ethan Hughes
Sean Hurley
Craig Moller
Tom Vandeleur

Retired
Colin Sylvia

H Crozier - M Barlow
L Weller - S Hill
M Duffy - L Neale
B Grey - D Mundy
J Hannath - A Sandilands
M Taberner - M Pavlich
T Smith - L McPharlin
Z Clarke - M Johnson

N Fyfe
M Walters
A Pearce

Should send their a-team and just have them sit on the field and do nothing. The port players wouldn't know what to do and their supporters would riot. Would make for some good viewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they aren't interested in a win, wouldn't a forfeit be in everyone's best interest? It would preserve the integrity for the betting markets, give everyone a rest, and leave a few players for Peel too.

Everybody wins, right o_O

Strange problem. Should be a none-issue for me. 40 players on the list, pick whoever you want.

PS Perhaps we are tanking anyway because we play Griffin who is 267 places behind Clarke on the official player rating...

An interesting side effect is that a mass resting of players (which should be permitted, by the way) will gut the Peel Thunder team about to play its first finals series in its 20-year history. That's no small thing, especially when you consider their arrangement is only in its 2nd year.

Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong, but Peel will get a second chance due to finishing 3rd, should they lose in the first week? You'd imagine they'll be in the mix for finals more regularly now with an AFL-aligned team though.

An interesting side effect is that a mass resting of players (which should be permitted, by the way) will gut the Peel Thunder team about to play its first finals series in its 20-year history. That's no small thing, especially when you consider their arrangement is only in its 2nd year.

Someone in the know can correct me if I'm wrong, but Peel will get a second chance due to finishing 3rd, should they lose in the first week? You'd imagine they'll be in the mix for finals more regularly now with an AFL-aligned team though.

Yep, two chances

When one starts micro managing obsessively, or trying to, like the AFL, everyone effected will end up pulling their hair out, it'll spread like a contagion. I love the game but ducking detest the AFL with all my being. I hate their objectives and their media manipulation. I think they should be burnt at stake for being heretics.

If they aren't interested in a win, wouldn't a forfeit be in everyone's best interest? It would preserve the integrity for the betting markets, give everyone a rest, and leave a few players for Peel too.

Everybody wins, right o_O

"Integrity"...... "betting markets".....

Hahahaha!

If integrity is a concern, you keep the betting industry a million limes away from your sport.

In this case, freo are allowed to rest players because they're more than a game clear. IF they werent it'd be tanking but the AFL has come out and said that they can rest players as its not going against the "spirit" of the game

Tanking is cheating to gain an advantage off field, resting players occurs across the season BUT when Ross does it in bulk the hand wringers crawl out from under a rock desperate to find controversy & guess what, they are at it again. Player management is what Freo are doing, player welfare is no sin.

Tanner Smith is actually on the main list. Blakely was a one week injury, trained this week from memory, Clarke one week suspension, Alex Pearce (but he's being rested).

I suspect Pav out for Taberner, Sandi for Clarke, Blakely for Mundy, Langdon to keep his spot, grey for Spurr or Sutcliffe, Max Duffy for Walters, Weller for D Pearce or Hill. Something like that.

How far away is the pest aka Ballantyne? Love his work BUT v the Eagles its not as much appreciated.;)

How far away is the pest aka Ballantyne? Love his work BUT v the Eagles its not as much appreciated.;)

1 more week, last I heard. They would consider him, just to get some touch back prior to the first QF, but I doubt that he would be risked. I love Ballas, but he's hardly fired all year and has struggled to impact finals even when in form.

Is Crowley's suspension up? and would he get a look in for what is essentially one of 5 dead rubber games this week?

i've got no issue with resting en masse. This is a team that worked quite hard all year to secure top spot and are in the best position in their AFL history to win a flag
In their way is some of the hottest form the 8 has ever seen
Hawks are still the better unit for finals. Eagles are high scoring and share the same home ground. Sydney are a strong unit who have all but one of their guns firing at the moment. The Dogs, Tigers & Crows are looking very impressive and can't be under-estimated. And the Roos are unpredictable with what they can do on any given day.

I'd be resting my top 8-10 for a week if i could, and manage their training through the fortnight to prep them for the last handful of games for the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back