AFL joins other major sports in support of PayTV not FTA

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Less footy on FTA as sports across the board support Pay aka Foxtel.

Issues include do you value AFL footy or not, if not, who pays, maybe the clubs whose members keep their clubs financially viable being asked ( ? asked or told?) to pay more to clubs whose fans don't pay enough to survive.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/busines...ide-what-you-see/story-fni0d8gi-1227061915188
I don't get why the minor sports do this. It seemed that NBL and the netball were much stronger when they were on FTA but they chased the $ and lost the fans at the game

Bad news for fans and, eventually, bad news for footy.

The current balance is already too far in favour of pay TV IMHO. Anything more extreme will seriously start to erode the interest of the public in the game.

If they want more money, let us pay for streaming access FFS.

Bad news for fans and, eventually, bad news for footy.

The current balance is already too far in favour of pay TV IMHO. Anything more extreme will seriously start to erode the interest of the public in the game.

If they want more money, let us pay for streaming access FFS.

Will streaming provide the required income. Seems to me most want more, but pay less & that wont work.

Will streaming provide the required income. Seems to me most want more, but pay less & that wont work.
At the moment I pay $0. I will either continue to pay $0 or I will start to pay something reasonable for HD streaming. I will never pay for Mudochtel. So the AFL has the choice, offer a product I actually want and take my money, or don't.

I know I am not alone in these sentiments. And there will be plenty of people who don't care about streaming who will continue to pay for Foxtel etc even if they offer this option.

Streaming will happen eventually. The AFL should just accept that the world has moved on and it is no longer an era where people accept the thing they want being tied to a bunch of crap they don't want. Look at Netflix for example - quarter of a million Aussies have found a way to get it despite it technically not being available here. Offer people what they want and they'll happily pay.

At the moment I pay $0. I will either continue to pay $0 or I will start to pay something reasonable for HD streaming. I will never pay for Mudochtel. So the AFL has the choice, offer a product I actually want and take my money, or don't.

I know I am not alone in these sentiments. And there will be plenty of people who don't care about streaming who will continue to pay for Foxtel etc even if they offer this option.

Streaming will happen eventually. The AFL should just accept that the world has moved on and it is no longer an era where people accept the thing they want being tied to a bunch of crap they don't want. Look at Netflix for example - quarter of a million Aussies have found a way to get it despite it technically not being available here. Offer people what they want and they'll happily pay.

who do you want to provide the HD pictures for little more than $nothing?

who do you want to provide the HD pictures for little more than $nothing?
So how does the NBA do it? Or about a hundred other sports.

I never get this argument - people acting like it's impossible to have HD streaming of sport for a modest subscription fee. It's not impossible. It's a thing that happens right now in sports run by competent administrations.

A one time investment of a few hundred $k or even a few million in some decent cameras is not going to break the bank in the context of a TV deal worth $1B+.

I never get this argument - people acting like it's impossible to have HD streaming of sport for a modest subscription fee. It's not impossible. It's a thing that happens right now in sports run by competent administrations.

A one time investment of a few hundred $k or even a few million in some decent cameras is not going to break the bank in the context of a TV deal worth $1B+.

You arent relating the economics of the AFL to the NBA, surely not :straining::straining: ...

Are you across why 7 don't offer HD because it sure doesn't look like you have any idea!!

Are you across why 7 don't offer HD because it sure doesn't look like you have any idea!!
I am.

The federal government's anti siphoning laws mandate that AFL must be carried on Seven's primary FTA channel, which is the first Seven SD channel. This was intended to ensure that anyone with an SD TV would still have access to footy, and other sports, after the switch to digital TV. However, the digital TV rules do not require them to simulcast their primary channel on their HD channel. As a result, they made a commercial decision to use that channel as an extra channel rather than simulcasting their primary channel on it. AFL is therefore not shown on their HD channel. In those circumstances, they don't bother to shoot in HD.

Any questions?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back