AFL likely to buy Etihad stadium in the next 12 months - Brian Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

Be fair, Essendon are making profits that the other clubs underwrite. The AFL could fix it just dont.

You say this all the time, but the fact is the AFL cant change the terms of Essendons deal, since that deal is not an AFL negotiated deal, similar to the Magpies at the MCG. The AFL could screw around with its fixture, but not the terms of the deal itself.

The exact percentages were linked earlier, but heres the image from the 1997 Annual report from the Docklands deal.

docklands97p1.png

Docklands sells a corporate box for $5,000 a game for 12 people, or $416.67 per person. The amount counted towards matchday proceeds = $18.75 per person.

You say this all the time, but the fact is the AFL cant change the terms of Essendons deal, since that deal is not an AFL negotiated deal, similar to the Magpies at the MCG. The AFL could screw around with its fixture, but not the terms of the deal itself.

If there is something the AFL is good at, it is screwing people over.

AFL mismanagement at the highest level. Here are couple of extracts from history..
you gotta wonder, what the AFL's pull or contract negotiation skills are like.
the NRL plays out of the Stadium Australia & Allianz stadium with constant low crowds of 10 to 20k yet the clubs are still making money.:confused:

you gotta wonder, what the AFL's pull or contract negotiation skills are like.
the NRL plays out of the Stadium Australia & Allianz stadium with constant low crowds of 10 to 20k yet the clubs are still making money.:confused:

Stadium Australia is literally paying NRL clubs to play there. The AFl goes there of its own accord so it can have a foothold on new stadiums.

Stadium Australia is literally paying NRL clubs to play there. The AFl goes there of its own accord so it can have a foothold on new stadiums.
thats the puzzling point
with all the weight in numbers the AFL brings to the stadiums, the code seems to have very little in the say in the contracts

The AFL hold the purse strings - they simply adjust returns to the clubs to even out the bumps in the stadium returns for clubs playing at Etihad. No ned to adjust fixtures or any other facet of the individual contracts that plague the place.

The AFL hold the purse strings - they simply adjust returns to the clubs to even out the bumps in the stadium returns for clubs playing at Etihad. No ned to adjust fixtures or any other facet of the individual contracts that plague the place.

They currently do that, and you call it afl welfare for clubs who should die or be forced to play home games in PerthPerth

I'm sure everyone in SA thought the same thing.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but your comment about your club's admin reading the contract was just silly.

So one way or another, they'll get their money...

You continue to ignore the structure of WA footy & SA footy, & Victoria is different - certainly the AFL is a constant. WA footy can learn from the Adelaide Oval fiasco where the SANFL & AFL used the clubs as pawns in the negotiation & they are suffering as a result - I'm sure the clubs didnt trust the SANFL to look after their interests but believed the AFL would ensure they werent dudded.

I don't think the reserved seating money goes to the stadium. I don't think it had to do with the crowds, Carlton was writing cheques to Docklands for crowds over 40k, as was St Kilda back when they were doing okay.

Between the 3k AFL member seats, Axcess One and Medallion Club seats there is too small of a sellable margin between the break even point and seats you can actually sell.

Estimated match return at Docklands is 36%. MCG is 41% but the capacity is much larger. You also have a considerable amount of MCC and AFL members that contribute to the match return.

Subiaco is 77%. Kardinia Park is 90%. Carrara is 100%.

I assume if AFL is able to acquire Docklands the return would likely be around 75% i would assume. Not only that, the revenue streams that either go straight to the AFL or Stadium Australia should now go to the gate, fixed revenue used to offset fixed overheads.

it should be significantly better unless the AFL intentionally botch it so they don't piss off the MCG tenants.
i think Essendon, has access maybe to signage as well as leverages sold at the ground, something i think Collingwood has similar to the MCG

have you got any idea, about those current deals?
i think Essendon has access to extra signage as well as a percentage in returns on beverages sold?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They currently do that, and you call it afl welfare for clubs who should die or be forced to play home games in PerthPerth

The AFL have no problem letting stadium managers call the tune on matters that effect clubs viability - at Etihad some clubs prosper at the expense of others & it is within the AFLs power to fix the situation but they choose not to.

i think Essendon has access to extra signage as well as a percentage in returns on beverages sold?

You miss the point 4k, the AFL can even out the situation at the point of distribution to the clubs, i.e the benefit the Bombers get courtesy of their favourable agreement is deducted from them & redistributed to the clubs that were shortchanged as a result of the AFL agreement forcing them to play there. A simple fix?
Equalise the Etihad problem ...

Everyone wants to play at the MCG, they have no blockbusters at Etihad and you have to ask why? It's a seated 50,000 + venue and they schedule secondary matches there on a Sunday afternoon with some games starting as late as 4.40pm? Might as well close the joint. Better still, 'Gilligan' should buy the place and schedule Geelong V Hawthorn and Essendon V Carlton etc and fill the place! FFS make use of this facility or get rid of it altogether and build a 30,000 seat venue and schedule all the s**t games there! Check out the 2015 fixture, they will be lucky to get more than 30,000 at any one game more than 4 maybe 5 times! You now have Collingwood investigating it's own stadium, they closed Princes Park which was insane and they now totally under utilise Etihad. Yeah sure buy the place, but i hope the AFL use it properly. They could've played Carlton V Collingwood there in 2014. It's a great place if near full, but it's a cold, soulless joint when you have less than 20,000 there.

Everyone wants to play at the MCG, they have no blockbusters at Etihad and you have to ask why? It's a seated 50,000 + venue and they schedule secondary matches there on a Sunday afternoon with some games starting as late as 4.40pm? Might as well close the joint. Better still, 'Gilligan' should buy the place and schedule Geelong V Hawthorn and Essendon V Carlton etc and fill the place! FFS make use of this facility or get rid of it altogether and build a 30,000 seat venue and schedule all the s**t games there! Check out the 2015 fixture, they will be lucky to get more than 30,000 at any one game more than 4 maybe 5 times! You now have Collingwood investigating it's own stadium, they closed Princes Park which was insane and they now totally under utilise Etihad. Yeah sure buy the place, but i hope the AFL use it properly. They could've played Carlton V Collingwood there in 2014. It's a great place if near full, but it's a cold, soulless joint when you have less than 20,000 there.

Essendon constantly play Hawthorn there

All those thinking that the AFL taking over Etihad will somehow change any of the current club deals are deluded. The AFL will hold current contracts firm and continue to drip feed the Dogs, Saints, and North, like little kids having to ask for pocket money. This in turn forces the kids to do their chores in silence (for us that means dreadful scheduling, leading to dreadful exposure, leading to our perpetual issues).
While I'm not convinced they'll keep the same situation going, it wouldn't surprise me either.

I liked this post for the analogy though. :thumbsu:

The AFL gets paid for the signage and pourage at the ground, Essendon may well get that revenue separately, but the AFL distributes it to everyone else that plays at the ground. Essendon may get a better rate of return on reserved seating and corporates. We really have no idea for the most part.

Carlton have played both Hawthorn and Geelong at the ground consistently since 2008 with rare exceptions. Its part of the contract that 30 "potential sellouts" must be scheduled during the season at Etihad.

Trying to deflect the Cats financial loss this year?

More like basking in the glory of the stadium envy you have.

Still trying to buy one aren't you?

Oh, and as for the 250k loss - i'll enjoy watching you top up the equalisation fund as we wont be paying as much.

Keep laughing… and we'll take our Stage 4 stadium upgrade too thanks.

Go Catters

To this day, I'd like to know what on earth Wayne Jackson was thinking when he sold off Waverley and created this mess in the first place.

Can somebody please point out just ONE tiny little advantage that came from Etihad? Apart from "fancy TV screens" and "the seats aren't wood", both of which could have easily been fixed at a much lower cost at Waverley.
Wayne Jackson was a genius and ahead of his time. He quickly realised and acted in the fact that footy on suburban grounds wasn't attractive on TV so he made 2 extremely significant moves. Forced clubs to move from suburban ovals/ mud heaps and also ( what is a little known fact ) had the sherrin changed, asked them to make it a little shorter and wider to make it easier to kick, mark and bounce. All because he had the foresight that the future in the sport was to make it attractive to tv. Now we enjoy $1billion dollar, soon to be more, TV rights which have made the comp unbelievably profitable and secured the futures of olenty of clubs.

AFL want the stadium so they can charge the likes of Melb Victory and the FFA/Wallabies and so on, a motza.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back