AFL likely to buy Etihad stadium in the next 12 months - Brian Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
More like basking in the glory of the stadium envy you have.

Still trying to buy one aren't you?

Oh, and as for the 250k loss - i'll enjoy watching you top up the equalisation fund as we wont be paying as much.

Keep laughing… and we'll take our Stage 4 stadium upgrade too thanks.

Go Catters
PROJECT DESCRIPTION
Simonds Stadium plays an important part in creating an attractive lifestyle for people that live within the G21 region, by providing them with local access to major sporting and cultural events, despite living within a regional centre.

The Simonds Stadium (Stage 4 and 5) redevelopment will complete the transformation of the venue into Victoria’s third national multi-purpose stadium, strengthening the region as a sports hub and providing infrastructure required to attract a range of nationally significant events including AFL, T20 Big Bash, NRL, Super 15 Rugby, A-League Soccer and concerts.

The benefits of the activities that will be held at the Stadium will be felt throughout the region and beyond; from the community, local businesses, tourism organisations and local government agencies; to the local sporting associations whom will use the Stadium or benefit from activities held at the venue.

Without completing the redevelopment vision the region cannot maximise the potential opportunities that exist to host major national or international events and; the long term future of Geelong Football Club playing a minimum 8 games at Simonds Stadium cannot be guaranteed.

At the completion of the Stage 4 and 5 redevelopment, it is estimated that events/activities held at the Simonds Stadium precinct will generate incremental direct expenditure in the local economy in excess of $624.3M, over the ten year assessment period 2014 to 2023.
http://www.g21.com.au/simonds-stadium-redevelopment-–-stages-4-and-5

the final stage 5 will be awesome & great for geelong. the cats will be the envy of most Victorian clubs, being the only club with their own home ground:mad::(

that last sentence is quite staggering the stadium will bring 624 million in to the local economy over 10 years, makes you wonder, how the Bulldogs will go up in Ballarat when/if the the Eureka stadium is developed.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
What is the go with Mike Fitzpatricks conflict of interest with ANZ Stadium?

His Wikipedia page is out of date but he's one of two 45% shareholders in Infrastucture Capital Group which came about after he and John Clarke bought out ANZ Infrastructure Services in 2009. ANZIS were the managers of ANZ Stadium.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
To this day, I'd like to know what on earth Wayne Jackson was thinking when he sold off Waverley and created this mess in the first place.

Can somebody please point out just ONE tiny little advantage that came from Etihad? Apart from "fancy TV screens" and "the seats aren't wood", both of which could have easily been fixed at a much lower cost at Waverley.
Unfortunately a train line. I liked VFL park(am still a member) more than the MCG.

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You say this all the time, but the fact is the AFL cant change the terms of Essendons deal, since that deal is not an AFL negotiated deal, similar to the Magpies at the MCG. The AFL could screw around with its fixture, but not the terms of the deal itself.
Can I ask, when the ownership changes hands, doesn't the agreement become between the then 2 parties become null and void? The only reason why I ask this, as I know with building contractors( in this case lifts), when the ownership changes the contracts are voided. The new owners can abide by the original contracts but they don't have too.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Can I ask, when the ownership changes hands, doesn't the agreement become between the then 2 parties become null and void? The only reason why I ask this, as I know with building contractors( in this case lifts), when the ownership changes the contracts are voided. The new owners can abide by the original contracts but they don't have too.

Im not a real estate expert, but I believe in this case the Victory expects its contract has to be honored even if the AFL buys it early.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/victory_in_strong_spot_at_etihad_gkHIiAMQuO6Xo9MwXhnppM

The AFL would be forced to honour A-League soccer club Melbourne Victory’s lucrative tenancy deal at Etihad Stadium should the league move to buy the stadium before 2025, when it inherits it for a token $30.

The Victory have one of the most generous stadium deals at Etihad, signed in the second season of the A-League in 2006. The club receives a fee based on attendance, where it receives a percentage of gate revenue starting at zero and going up. Other clubs usually only start receiving income once the crowd reaches a certain figure, such as 15,000 people.

Melbourne Victory chief executive Richard Wilson said the club’s contract at Etihad Stadium, which lasts for at least another decade, would stay in place even if there is a change of ownership at Etihad Stadium.

“We have a contract in place and we would expect the AFL to honour that, at the current terms, should they become owners.”

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
To me that is just saying the Victory 'hope' to 'continue' existing contracts but that's all.

the article says forced, but i agree with you. I think its one of those demands that soccer just expects to be met from time to time that may or may not be grounded in commercial reality.

That said its not in the AFLs interest to drive the summer sports away from the stadium.Its crucial to the profit/success of the stadium and the ability to affect the returns available/rent payable to/from the clubs under AFL ownership.

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
AFL will definately want to keep Victory playing at Etihad. But you watch the first time they try to increase the rent in line with inflation the headlines about the AFL 'attacking' the A-league because they're 'threatened' by the rise of the 'sleeping giant'. Craig Foster will have a field day.

AFL will definately want to keep Victory playing at Etihad. But you watch the first time they try to increase the rent in line with inflation the headlines about the AFL 'attacking' the A-league because they're 'threatened' by the rise of the 'sleeping giant'. Craig Foster will have a field day.

So true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so?
The AFL need to run the place at a profit. The Bombers are the ones with the most to lose

AFL would want a profit, but not necessarily a big one, and without having to pay back the debts/secure a big profit, there would be a significant amount more money available.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Victory don't need Etihad Stadium. If the AFL try to dick them around they'll just play all their home games at AAMI Park.

Anyway I would LOL if the AFL took over and gave every tenant club a better deal than Essendon have.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Victory don't need Etihad Stadium. If the AFL try to dick them around they'll just play all their home games at AAMI Park.

Anyway I would LOL if the AFL took over and gave every tenant club a better deal than Essendon have.

One would hope that all the AFL clubs get as good a deal, if not better, than what the Victory have.

Works for the AFL...What better way to limit the growth of soccer than ensuring lots of people don't get into the ground?

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
One would hope that all the AFL clubs get as good a deal, if not better, than what the Victory have.

Time will tell.

Victory are icing as far as the stadium operator is concerned. When the ground was built and the contracts drawn up, there was no A-League. 5 years after the first game at Etihad Stadium, Victory came along and started to attract a following so a potential new client emerged. With clubs like North already "paying it off" they could afford to offer Victory a good deal to play some games there. If the AFL try to gouge them going forward they'll just play every game at AAMI Park which rarely sells out anyway.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Time will tell.

Victory are icing as far as the stadium operator is concerned. When the ground was built and the contracts drawn up, there was no A-League. 5 years after the first game at Etihad Stadium, Victory came along and started to attract a following so a potential new client emerged. With clubs like North already "paying it off" they could afford to offer Victory a good deal to play some games there. If the AFL try to gouge them going forward they'll just play every game at AAMI Park which rarely sells out anyway.

I agree there is an argument for generating revenue over the off-season by allowing the victory to play games (as long as its full commercial rates), but equally, the AFL has other options:

• an expanded BBL
  • future national women's league
  • small-sided competitions
  • expanded pre-season competition
etc

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Works for the AFL...What better way to limit the growth of soccer than ensuring lots of people don't get into the ground?

A fairly petty attitude, but once the ground belongs to the AFL they can do what they like with it.

If the Victory host finals they'll just be looking for a venue that holds more than AAMI Park's 30,000. There's one of them 5 minutes away from Etihad Stadium that the AFL don't own, and I doubt the MCC will actively push away a potential crowd of 50,000+ for the sake of pettiness.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
A fairly petty attitude, but once the ground belongs to the AFL they can do what they like with it.

If the Victory host finals they'll just be looking for a venue that holds more than AAMI Park's 30,000. There's one of them 5 minutes away from Etihad Stadium that the AFL don't own, and I doubt the MCC will actively push away a potential crowd of 50,000+ for the sake of pettiness.

AFL exists for the benefit of the competition, the clubs and the game generally, so it follows that the only way the Victory's interests would ever be considered is if they aligned with the aforementioned interests.

It's nothing personal.

As my kin are wont to say: it's bissinissi.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree there is an argument for generating revenue over the off-season by allowing the victory to play games (as long as its full commercial rates), but equally, the AFL has other options:
  • an expanded BBL
  • future national women's league
  • small-sided competitions
  • expanded pre-season competition
etc

An expanded BBL is unlikely to provide another tenant for Etihad Stadium, merely a couple more matches. Given the Renegades only get about 13,000 to each game I doubt it's a huge money spinner.

None of the other things mentioned will generate much interest or revenue. I don't really care if the AFL want to keep the A-League out of Etihad Stadium or not. The less revenue the AFL has, the less they have to distribute to the clubs, and the less tenants there are at the ground, the greater the burden per tenant.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
AFL exists for the benefit of the competition, the clubs and the game generally, so it follows that the only way the Victory's interests would ever be considered is if they aligned with the aforementioned interests.

It's nothing personal.

As my kin are wont to say: it's bissinissi.

The AFL is the competition.

'Keeping soccer down' isn't business, it's pettiness.

The AFL are money hungry, so if they can see a way to make a buck out of Melbourne Victory playing at Etihad Stadium they'll take it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back