AFL Live 2 - bugs, glitches, fixes, suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Skerret

Cancelled
Jun 5, 2006
Fantasia
AFL Club
Geelong
As pointed out in the main AFL Live 2 thread, Tru Blu need organized critical feedback in order to improve AFL Live 2.

Post any obvious menu glitches, bugs, gameplay issues etc. in here in the hope we get an improved product in the short term via a patch or two.

I've observed a few common gameplay complaints and also noticed these in the video posted so far.

Kicking: overpowered kicks do not appear to be handled well. A full blooded miskick should still travel a decent distance most of the time, rather than 20 metres sideways. Slew it left or right by all means, but give it some length.

Marking: dial the speckies frequency down a notch or two. Rarity is what makes them exciting. The much criticized 'bend over' animation might also need tightening up.

It's a start, have at it. Keep it concise if possible, we need to make this helpful and accessible.

Effective kicking on hard/legend mode is close to impossible unless you've got absolutely no one near you. It seems they've slowed down the kick charge-metre for the more difficult modes, meaning it takes longer to kick. So if anyone is near you, you end kicking the ball about 5m no matter what. Really, they should have done it the other way - the harder the difficulty, the quicker the kick metre.

If you want a quick kick out then you should be able to tap the clearance kick button to get a somewhat inaccurate kick out, but you can still choose to go the drop punt but with a greater risk of overpowering the kick since the metre is sped up. This would make the gameplay more difficult, but still allow you to kick the ball over 5 metres. It gets pretty frustrating - last night I pretty much resigned to only handballing around packs.

Unless I am missing it somehow due to a setting, highlight packages at the end of quarters/games. I love these in FIFA and AFL Live, just a collection of goals or hits or marks or whatever. Just more with the replay function!

White shorts when Geelong is playing away. Come on, this was not a hard one to get right...

Would suggest the developers play afl live and look at the fluidity of the game, this just feels so clunky, also positioning of kick meter needs to be above ball carriers head, its to far away to see and u just end up guessing, seriously think there is just to much wrong with this game to be fixed in a patch, maybe a developer with even a slight bit of afl knowledge would help

Player rankings are atrocious and unrealistic. You've got players boosted on speed and marking abilities just to get them to a 95-97. Sam Jacobs a 94, with speed of ~98? Come on!!!
I'm currently going through the arduous task of editing every AFL player ranking to rightly reflect their true ranking, with only ~10 or so players on 90 or above. A model to share player rankings with other players would be great.

Does anybody know how to get your players to lead to the ball? This is very frustrating. The target lock system and kick to lead button does not work that well. Players just stand there, when they mark the ball.

Fix the guernseys. A option for all teams to wear white shorts with their home guernsey because I've been sick and tired of being Geelong without white shorts also.

White shorts when Geelong is playing away. Come on, this was not a hard one to get right...

This. They did this with the update for AFL Live 1 as well and it's so irritating. Since when do Geelong wear blue shorts in away games?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Troy Chaplin's initial rating is 66. Lower than Robin Nahas

He was from Port Adelaide remember. The lowest rated team in the game after GWS.

The ratings are silly, hopefully they get changed in a patch or something, but for me it really isn't a big deal as career mode will change their ratings anyway.

CAMERA ANGLE
The side camera angle is far too high as if you were at the top of the MCG northern grand stand. This camera angle should simulate watching the game on TV which is much lower.

KICKING FOR GOAL ON THE RUN
The length of kicks is good however the trajectory is too low and flat. There should be more height on kicks with a drop towards the end as the ball sails through. Majority of goals on the run are sailing through below halfway on the posts which isn’t realistic.

BALL BOUNCE WHEN NOT IN POSSESSION
The amount of bounce in the ball is over the top and not realistic. Sometimes the ball from a kick has bounced higher than the actual kick itself.

SIDE SELECTION
Anything regarding selecting / making changes to a team line up should be via an interface that incorporates a football ground layout with positions.

BREAKS BETWEEN QUARTERS
Showing the quarter by quarter score is something fans would expect and game highlights as well

STATISTICS
Splitting game stats into so many tabs isn’t ideal. Most of the AFL apps that incorporate stats can fit most of them on one page.
You should be able to view season stats by ALL players and not just by each team separately. I want to see how my players are going compared to the rest of the league without scrolling through every team.

MAN OF THE MATCH
I’m very curious to understand how man of the match is calculated as it seems heavily weighted towards goals rather than being balanced with possessions. The weighting points used in AFL Dream Team or Super Coach would be a great guide in nailing this aspect of the game.

TEAM LINE UP & INTERCHANGE SETTINGS
This is rather confusing having 2 settings as setting TEAM LINE UP to manual & INTERCHANGE to auto will have no effect on the interchange (no auto interchanges will be made.
I think you just need the INTERCHANGE setting as the TEAM LINE UP setting is basically asking the same question.

SOUND EFFECTS

This definitely needs some attention as the crowd involvement is just not there. I can hear the sound of the ball bouncing along the ground over the crowed which honestly reminded me of sounds that were on the commodore 64. Sound is one area that I’ve never been impressed with on AFL games.

BALL BOUNCE WHEN NOT IN POSSESSION
The amount of bounce in the ball is over the top and not realistic. Sometimes the ball from a kick has bounced higher than the actual kick itself.

SIDE SELECTION
Anything regarding selecting / making changes to a team line up should be via an interface that incorporates a football ground layout with positions.

BREAKS BETWEEN QUARTERS
Showing the quarter by quarter score is something fans would expect and game highlights as well

STATISTICS
Splitting game stats into so many tabs isn’t ideal. Most of the AFL apps that incorporate stats can fit most of them on one page.
You should be able to view season stats by ALL players and not just by each team separately. I want to see how my players are going compared to the rest of the league without scrolling through every team.

TEAM LINE UP & INTERCHANGE SETTINGS
This is rather confusing having 2 settings as setting TEAM LINE UP to manual & INTERCHANGE to auto will have no effect on the interchange (no auto interchanges will be made.
I think you just need the INTERCHANGE setting as the TEAM LINE UP setting is basically asking the same question.

While I agree with all your points the above are the ones that stand out for mine and would change the game for the better and I don't think, guessing here, that these little tweaks would be hard to implement.

A stats screen (which is also viewable during the game instead of just at the end of a quarter) like this http://finalsiren.com/MatchDetails.asp?GameID=6438&Code=a0306576e88e7edaa4d0c59a733019d9 would be great.

I can't help but think while playing this game that WW have never played a Fifa/NBA2k/PES etc. game before. There are so many basic things that have been missed or overlooked or just not even considered and it's a formula that works. I understand they don't have as big a budget as those other companies but surely the game could be more optimized.

Also Michael Walters is a left footer, not right. Fix that s**t :D

Playing on - Every time I mark the ball 10 meters clear of anyone, I like to play on to advantage and go for a run. However on this game it seems that once you play on, your player takes 3 or so seconds before he can actually move and the opponent AI are all of a sudden within a meter or 2 before you can even start to run. This is the most frustrating thing about the game for me. It seems pointless to play on unless you have a whole wing worth of space.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back