AFL Live 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gave the patch a go today after seeing it up on here and getting excited at the responses from people who had tested it, the patch was going to also make my decision on buying the DLC.

Safe to say that this patch has actually worsened the experience. How can you let the AI never miss a shot at goal? The only time they get a behind is when it's rushed through! Weather, skill, pressure, none of this matters when the AI has ball in hand.

Midfielders are still constantly going in the ruck for me which ruins so much of the experience, how can I suspend belief and have all my stats ruined with a midfielder getting 20+ hitouts every game?!

Players still don't man up no matter the settings or tactics you place, it'd be nice to have my defenders actually defend instead of travelling off to the pie stand to get something to eat while the FF and CHF kick 10 goals. How can two such obvious and glaring issues be left unattended after months and months of dev time?

The framerate also seems to dip quite a lot at times, I don't know why, but it makes it unplayable when it does.

Surely nobody else thinks this patch is an actual improvement? A slight change in replays wasn't the thing I wanted to see in a patch, especially when nobody asked for it, actual gameplay improvements were what everyone wanted!! I'm just hoping this patch was a mistake build and the real one is meant to be coming...definitely not buying the DLC now though.

It takes practice but it can be done, and if you see you can't get good positioning you go for the spoil.
I am trying to see why some people like afl live 1 better. I always thought marking was more interactive in afl live 2.

I'm definitely not great at the game because I don't really play it much but whenever I try to position myself in a contest I always end up having the ball go right past me or if I try to push into my opponent (like the ruck contests) I just run past him while he stays still. AFL Live's system of locking you into a contest and pretty much forcing you to spoil wasn't great but at least I knew the spoil was likely to work, or I could just try to avoid the contest by kicking it to a lead which I never see happen in AFL Live 2.

Got my hands on the patch today for the first time ( no dlc yet as I'm ps3) and I gotta say I love it after playing 5 single matches and then 2 in my career mode I love the adjustments that have been made. The game plays much better and for the first time ever in an AFL game the ai are actually intelligent and competitive 95% of the time, I played a game as GWS v Hawks on Legendary just to see how hard it could be and while I kept close up to half time the hawks ran over the top of the giants in the 2nd half and even though I lost I was pleased with how realistic and challenging it was. As for the ai never missing I don't see entirely why everyone is having a huge problem with this, the ai in my game score nearly all their set shots but on the run they aren't as accurate in fact I played a game v the suns where they scored 12.6 and only two of those were rushed. The way I see it the ai are kicking the shots they realistically should unlike AFL Live where the ai would cap off a brilliant play with a missed shot from straight in front 20 metres out. Gotta love that "myPlayer" replay cam aswell haha.

Got my hands on the patch today for the first time ( no dlc yet as I'm ps3) and I gotta say I love it after playing 5 single matches and then 2 in my career mode I love the adjustments that have been made. The game plays much better and for the first time ever in an AFL game the ai are actually intelligent and competitive 95% of the time, I played a game as GWS v Hawks on Legendary just to see how hard it could be and while I kept close up to half time the hawks ran over the top of the giants in the 2nd half and even though I lost I was pleased with how realistic and challenging it was. As for the ai never missing I don't see entirely why everyone is having a huge problem with this, the ai in my game score nearly all their set shots but on the run they aren't as accurate in fact I played a game v the suns where they scored 12.6 and only two of those were rushed. The way I see it the ai are kicking the shots they realistically should unlike AFL Live where the ai would cap off a brilliant play with a missed shot from straight in front 20 metres out. Gotta love a"myPlayer" replay cam aswell haha.

I felt like this at first but, the AI do make just about all of the set shots, on the run it is a little better, and I agree in the first patch 1.01 the AI would miss some easy set shots, but in the new patch it is the complete opposite and to an even bigger extreme they NEVER miss. Why couldn't they have met somewhere in the middle, it feels so bad that it seems like a bug. The frustrating part is , I was one to really praise this game after patch 1.01 and now with patch 1.02 it is simply no fun and we can not go back to 1.01 patch you can only go back to original non patched version, which is the worse of the three. It ruined a game a liked to play and apparently there is no going back to patch 1.01. I am wondering if the purchasable downloadable version only has patch 1.01 and then deny patch 1.02 , but I will have to dish out another 50.00 just to get the game back playing how I liked it if even possible. Anyone know any other solution, how to get 1st patch 1.01 back. Really irritated.

Cheers

Got my hands on the patch today for the first time ( no dlc yet as I'm ps3) and I gotta say I love it after playing 5 single matches and then 2 in my career mode I love the adjustments that have been made. The game plays much better and for the first time ever in an AFL game the ai are actually intelligent and competitive 95% of the time, I played a game as GWS v Hawks on Legendary just to see how hard it could be and while I kept close up to half time the hawks ran over the top of the giants in the 2nd half and even though I lost I was pleased with how realistic and challenging it was. As for the ai never missing I don't see entirely why everyone is having a huge problem with this, the ai in my game score nearly all their set shots but on the run they aren't as accurate in fact I played a game v the suns where they scored 12.6 and only two of those were rushed. The way I see it the ai are kicking the shots they realistically should unlike AFL Live where the ai would cap off a brilliant play with a missed shot from straight in front 20 metres out. Gotta love a"myPlayer" replay cam aswell haha.

I felt like this at first but, the AI do make just about all of the set shots, what is the point of stats and different players if all the players are going to make 90 to 95% of there set shots, (no anticipation)on the run it is a little better, and I agree in the first patch 1.01 the AI would miss some easy set shots, but in the new patch it is the complete opposite and to an even bigger extreme they almost NEVER miss. Why couldn't they have met somewhere in the middle, it feels so bad that it seems like a bug. The frustrating part is , I was one to really praise this game after patch 1.01 and now with patch 1.02 it is simply no fun and we can not go back to 1.01 patch you can only go back to original non patched version, which is the worse of the three. It ruined a game a liked to play and apparently there is no going back to patch 1.01. I am wondering if the purchasable downloadable version (full game) only has patch 1.01 and then we can deny patch 1.02 , but I will have to dish out another 50.00 just to get the game back playing how I liked it ,if even possible. Anyone know any other solution, how to get 1st patch 1.01 back. Really irritated.

Cheers

I felt like this at first but, the AI do make just about all of the set shots, on the run it is a little better, and I agree in the first patch 1.01 the AI would miss some easy set shots, but in the new patch it is the complete opposite and to an even bigger extreme they NEVER miss. Why couldn't they have met somewhere in the middle, it feels so bad that it seems like a bug. The frustrating part is , I was one to really praise this game after patch 1.01 and now with patch 1.02 it is simply no fun and we can not go back to 1.01 patch you can only go back to original non patched version, which is the worse of the three. It ruined a game a liked to play and apparently there is no going back to patch 1.01. I am wondering if the purchasable downloadable version only has patch 1.01 and then deny patch 1.02 , but I will have to dish out another 50.00 just to get the game back playing how I liked it if even possible. Anyone know any other solution, how to get 1st patch 1.01 back. Really irritated.

Cheers
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't understand why you would want to go back to 1.01. When I play with the new patch it is a bit annoying that they couldn't find the middle ground like you say but if nothing else the game is now competitive and is an actual challenge without becoming frustrating.

To others who are saying AFL Live 1 is a better game I'm sorry but that's just not true anymore. To name just one thing, Live 2 now has competent ai that can provide a contest around the ground and now every match is atleast a contest and a challenge while Live 1 was huge wins game in game out with the odd close one thrown in every now and then.

What's most bizarre is that the 99% accuracy should have been noticeable within minutes, I mean we all noticed it within a few games so what happened during their in-house testing? Or the open call testing they did before releasing the patch and update?

If it's an unexpected consequence then there should be a fix sooner rather than later because that aside the patch seems to have improved things at least a bit (ps3) and if the 2014 update adds a bit more many of us would be happy enough but right now this is pretty much a game killer.

For me I was hoping for an excuse to go the full update but for now I'm back to waiting to see if there will be a quick correction before I hand over any cash.

Last edited:
I guess everyone is entitled to their opinion but I can't understand why you would want to go back to 1.01. When I play with the new patch it is a bit annoying that they couldn't find the middle ground like you say but if nothing else the game is now competitive and is an actual challenge without becoming frustrating.

To others who are saying AFL Live 1 is a better game I'm sorry but that's just not true anymore. To name just one thing, Live 2 now has competent ai that can provide a contest around the ground and now every match is atleast a contest and a challenge while Live 1 was huge wins game in game out with the odd close one thrown in every now and then.

Yes , I am one that liked afl live 2 better then afl live with patch 1.01. And of course 1.02 will be more challenging, they rarely miss a shot ,very, very, few behinds. For some few that have trully mastered the game and figured out all the AI's weaknesses ,patch 1.02 may be the best option now because the AI cheating and missing so little is what keeps the game competitive for you. It could have been modified somewhere in the middle and made everyone happy. I used to like playing this game and now I don't. We need the option of patch 1.01 back, or the game modified to correct the perfect set shot AI. Right now it doesn't, matter who is shooting from what distance for tha AI , 90 to 95% it is going in for 6. Stats and player ratings irrelevant!! How can anyone be happy with that. Actually enjoying afl gold on the ipad better now.:)

Last edited:
Yes , I am one that liked afl live 2 better then afl live with patch 1.01. And of course 1.02 will be more challenging, they rarely miss a shot ,very, very, few behinds. For some few that have trully mastered the game and figured out all the AI's weaknesses ,patch 1.02 may be the best option now because the AI cheating and missing so little is what keeps the game competitive for you. It could have been modified somewhere in the middle and made everyone happy. I used to like playing this game and now I don't. We need the option of patch 1.01 back, or the game modified to correct the perfect set shot AI. Right now it doesn't, matter who is shooting from what distance for tha AI , 90 to 95% it is going in for 6. Stats and player ratings irrelevant!! How can anyone be happy with that. Actually enjoying afl gold on the ipad better now.:)
I agree 100% that this should have been picked up and that this isn't ideal but you're right I am glad that an AFL game is finally competitive without me having to gift the opposition goals. One reason I don't entirely mind it is because the ai aren't gifted marks inside 50, if you can spoil the mark or make sure they have to kick under pressure on the run they'll miss more shots. The only major problem that annoys me is that the bench is still a little messed up at times when your 2nd ruckman fatigues and you try to replace him with another tall but instead that player replaces another player elsewhere on the ground.
AI kicked 8.5 in the last match i played
Yeah I've had the same so it can be done

Hi all, I am beyond desperate to return to patch 1.01. If anyone can help greatly appreciated. Willing to pay money for someone's version of 1.01. Thanks.

Why, out of interest? Can't you uninstall the patch? You'll lose your saves but you should be able to do it.

Having a quick play they've added a couple of flashy effects but I'll need to play more to see if the gameplay is actually any better. It's still a bit of light fun like before from what I can tell.

Thank * they fixed the sub glitch though, that used to do my head in.

As for the AI being accurate, they were always pretty dead-eyed from memory weren't they?

You have no control to get in a good position though. You can't run from behind and sneak your way in front, you just run past it, even though your opponent is just standing still. The whole idea of running onto a mark in the game is pretty much non-existent and when you have your back to the ball your player doesn't turn around and attempt to mark/spoil, he just keeps facing the wrong way.
Just because one player is randomly in the better position to start with doesn't mean that it should be hard for the other player to make a contest.

This is probably the single most frustrating thing about it.

Played a couple of games and have a few thoughts on the patch:

- I appreciate the difficulty increase, my games have been much closer and I actually have to work hard. But it also exposes a heap of the flaws, including the marking thing above. If the opposition gets the ball and kicks it inside 50 then 90% of the time it seems like there's nothing you can do about it

- If you set your defensive tactics as 'reserved', it just means they play 20 metres behind their man and give uncontested marks. If you set it as 'balanced', they seem to overrun it and give uncontested marks

- Whoever thought changing players with the right stick while that is the spoil button should get a big telling off. So many times I've gone for a spoil and have changed to someone down field and given away a mark

- The tackle breaking is far too powerful, both for your players and for the opposition. It's a bit silly having 3 guys throwing themselves at one guy who just brushes them off with an "eaaaaayaaah" and bombs it 70 metres

- The kicking for goal is easier, but it's almost a bit silly. Zorko was kicking 60m drop punts easily through the goals

- Tory Dickson kicked 11 goals on me and Dahlhaus outmarked Brown

The little graphical things are nice but it's not a big improvement. It just feels like the difficulty increase makes it more frustrating when you can't do much about it, which is a shame. Ah well, at least I got another hour and a bit out of it I spose!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why, out of interest? Can't you uninstall the patch? You'll lose your saves but you should be able to do it.

Having a quick play they've added a couple of flashy effects but I'll need to play more to see if the gameplay is actually any better. It's still a bit of light fun like before from what I can tell.

Thank * they fixed the sub glitch though, that used to do my head in.

As for the AI being accurate, they were always pretty dead-eyed from memory weren't they?

No, that is the messed up part, as of right now you are stuck with the new patch 1.02 or you can erase that it be left with weak kicking first installment that does not have patch 1.01, seems like patch 1.01 was over written by patch 1.02, ( I would be very happy to be proven wrong). Would of been nice to have known it was going to over right patch 1.01. Is there anyway we can get patch 1.01 back from someone who has not updated? Worst case, may be downloading the digital version for another 50.00 which may only have patch 1.01 and then decline the 1.02 update. Again, extremely irritated with the whole situation. I was fine enjoying this game, and now and can't even stand playing one game, the AI making 90 to 95% of there set shots makes the whole stat and rating system completely irrelevant. Wicked Witch please fix this!!!!!

Former strong supporter of Wicked Witch

This is probably the single most frustrating thing about it.

Played a couple of games and have a few thoughts on the patch:

- I appreciate the difficulty increase, my games have been much closer and I actually have to work hard. But it also exposes a heap of the flaws, including the marking thing above. If the opposition gets the ball and kicks it inside 50 then 90% of the time it seems like there's nothing you can do about it

- If you set your defensive tactics as 'reserved', it just means they play 20 metres behind their man and give uncontested marks. If you set it as 'balanced', they seem to overrun it and give uncontested marks

- Whoever thought changing players with the right stick while that is the spoil button should get a big telling off. So many times I've gone for a spoil and have changed to someone down field and given away a mark

- The tackle breaking is far too powerful, both for your players and for the opposition. It's a bit silly having 3 guys throwing themselves at one guy who just brushes them off with an "eaaaaayaaah" and bombs it 70 metres

- The kicking for goal is easier, but it's almost a bit silly. Zorko was kicking 60m drop punts easily through the goals

- Tory Dickson kicked 11 goals on me and Dahlhaus outmarked Brown

The little graphical things are nice but it's not a big improvement. It just feels like the difficulty increase makes it more frustrating when you can't do much about it, which is a shame. Ah well, at least I got another hour and a bit out of it I spose!

Weird, strangely enough I have my complaints about the Super AI set shots in the new patch, but I have never had an issue with the mark, it strongly based on timing and positioning, and if you don't have both you must spoil/punch instead. But I have had plenty of marks where I have gotten in front of the AI to steal the ball. Again, you can not over shoot it or under shoot it , it must be perfect.

Cheers and Salud

Weird, strangely enough I have my complaints about the Super AI set shots in the new patch, but I have never had an issue with the mark, it strongly based on timing and positioning, and if you don't have both you must spoil/punch instead. But I have had plenty of marks where I have gotten in front of the AI to steal the ball. Again, you can not over shoot it or under shoot it , it must be perfect.

Cheers and Salud

I'd imagine it's my fault for sure, it's just something I feel like I should know after 20-odd hours of playing it. Before the patch you'd sort of take what you get with the marking and it'd work for you, but now it seems like they're delivering lace out every time.

I do think the patch is improved, but it just exposes a few deficiencies for mine (both in how I play and how the game is designed).

The spoiling seems iffy too like I said control wise, but that could be me as well :p

I had a look for 1.01 online for you, but it seems like downloading it onto your PS3 is a dicey prospect (most of the sites that mention the patch file aren't the most honest looking places). Have you tried Wicked Witch on FB or Twitter?

I'm wondering why it still takes until the ball has been picked up again before you hear who's freekick it is. Umpire blows his whistle then the game keeps going until someone gets the loose ball before you know which means you never know whether you can take advantage but also means the other easily can if you don't chase the ball.
Also, why does the quick clearing kick work properly most if the time. I keep expecting it to be a quick kick in direction of goal just like in live 1, but almost always it just goes straight. Its completely pointless having it, might as well just do a normal kick because it goes straight into the hands of the opposition player I was trying to avoid. Then, once every 20 times it will actually do a snap kick properly and I'm left in utter disbelief and contempt.
The game is generally much improved but these things should have been obvious bugs to fix.

I'm loving this patch , I just played one of the best matches ever in an AFL game , playing as Freo v Essendon at the MCG essendon got off to a hot start and led for the entire first 3 quarters with their lead ranging from 29 points to less than a goal, I scored a few late goals in the 3rd to cut their lead down to 13 at 3 qtr time and started with the first 3 goals of the last before we went goal for goal from then on, I managed to get in front by 6 late in the 4th before crameri took a mark 50 out straight in front which I thought would go through due to the ais accurate kicking but it fell just short on the line and Dawson managed to just get a fist on it to get it through for a behind in one of the best marking contests I've ever seen in this game, I then sent it long from the kick out but turned it over which the bombers took advantage of and marked and goaled from a set shot 30 out giving essendon a 2 point win.

Reckon I've figured out the botched goal kicking after playing a game just then. The developers made it so that when kicking at goal the skill of the player is obviously taken into account but more so pressure; in general play I had 1 player chasing bellchambers and he kicked a goal from about 30-40 out however in the next play I had 2 players pressuring daniher and he missed to the left so there is a way for the AI to score behinds! Unfortunately this has translated into set shot kicking, when the AI is taking set shots there is no pressure around them not even from the man on the mark because you can't control whether or not they jump so automatically they kick it 100% of the time

What a shame about the goal kicking, it has really ruined the game:mad:
Also the I now find the gap between medium and hard too great.
Win comfortably on medium but get smashed on hard. Won't fork out for DLC unless goal kicking glitch gets fixed......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back