AFL Live 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Some quick points on the patch
- Like the marking contests, they're not easy but that's the point
- Hate the AI set shot goal kicking
- AI ball use has improved but still kick to contests a little to often and are a bit slow to move the footy, at least they now generally kick to advantage
- Really disappointed a tagging option wasn't included
- Is there a way to snap the ball!?!
- Graphics are impressive, not FIFA standard but impressive. Stadiums in particular
- Not a fan of having to unlock stadiums for single games, would love to be able to play at QE oval, Williamstown etc with mates instead of having to complete tasks first

I reckon the patch has edged AFL live 2 marginally ahead of 1, although the way 1 played (tactics, gameplay, AI skill etc) had the potential to be a much better game. However am content with WW progress

BigAntStudios much chance of you getting the license back, or has that ship officially sailed?
I can't believe how anyone could think the game is better than afl live 1. I persisted with the game after the patch but then just got too frustrated with the defenders running off their forwards among the other problems. I then went back to the original game and instantly had so much more fun and felt it was infinitely better. I think the biggest aspect is that it is so much smoother. Live 2 feels disconnected or disjointed, especially with the lack of a stab pass it makes every kick go up and down to a standing jump contest and it plays just like afl live 2004 in that regard. Not to mean that stab passes is what ruins the game, but that element encapsulates what is wrong with this game. Even after the patch it is 5/10 at best considering where it should be. I dearly hope that Big Ant have the opportunity at another game. Are you out there Ross??

I can't believe how anyone could think the game is better than afl live 1. I persisted with the game after the patch but then just got too frustrated with the defenders running off their forwards among the other problems. I then went back to the original game and instantly had so much more fun and felt it was infinitely better. I think the biggest aspect is that it is so much smoother. Live 2 feels disconnected or disjointed, especially with the lack of a stab pass it makes every kick go up and down to a standing jump contest and it plays just like afl live 2004 in that regard. Not to mean that stab passes is what ruins the game, but that element encapsulates what is wrong with this game. Even after the patch it is 5/10 at best considering where it should be. I dearly hope that Big Ant have the opportunity at another game. Are you out there Ross??
I reckon that platform for AFL live 1 is much better, no question. But WW has had more of a chance to develop AFL Live than big ant and on their 3rd (correct me if I'm wrong) development in my opinion has just, marginally surpassed Big Ant's original. The actual match play in Big Ant's is still probably just ahead of WW in terms of the way players spread, move etc but a few underlying issues (eg player's speed) just edge WW ahead and make it marginally more fun to play. As I said I never got the Big Ant patch so I'm not sure if that would change things.

Say no to drugs, not necessarily all of them, just the ones you're on...but yep, you're right, it's their third port of the same basic game they made on the PSP

IGN AFL Challenge Review 3/10
Shallow gameplay, technical flaws, and rubbish difficulty make this more of a benchwarmer than a goal.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/afl-challenge-review/1900-6232601/

Prefer almost everything about AFL Live. AFL Live 2 both sucks and blows, the first time I played it I thought it was absolutely horrific and it didn't get much better. Glad I tried it before I bought it.

Slap DBC14's customisation and career mode on AFL Live and I'd never stop playing it, licensed or not. Pipe dream though, I guess.

Say no to drugs, not necessarily all of them, just the ones you're on...but yep, you're right, it's their third port of the same basic game they made on the PSP

IGN AFL Challenge Review 3/10
Shallow gameplay, technical flaws, and rubbish difficulty make this more of a benchwarmer than a goal.
http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/afl-challenge-review/1900-6232601/
But its those drugs that help me justify spending money on AFL live 2 :D

But in all seriousness if Big Ant can justify developing an unlicensed AFL game I'd be extremely confident that the next product would surpass AFL Live 2 by some margin. Get your elves to work Ross

PS: Since the current version is a patch could you argue this is WW 4th attempt at an AFL game?

I think my issue is comparing the four year old AFL Live with the current AFL Live 2, the fairer comparison is to compare AFL Live + our RLL2 improvements + our DBC improvements.

I think my issue is comparing the four year old AFL Live with the current AFL Live 2, the fairer comparison is to compare AFL Live + our RLL2 improvements + our DBC improvements.
It's no disrespect intended Ross, and that's sort of the point I was trying to get across. Of course with an extra 4 years to make an AFL game there are going to be extra developments that may surpass previous editions in some aspects, but as I said if Big Ants track record of improving/developing games is anything to go by I'd go in and trade in AFL Live 2 for Big Ant's AFL Live 2 with no concerns.

nice, thanks for the write up man. I reckon I'll probably fork out the $16 just to get bontempelli ;) have you tried making a custom team? I read somewhere that they changed it?
From my brief glance at the footy factory menu I couldn't see a custom team option although judging by the dlc trailer it's in there somewhere but I don't think you can create a guernsey or logo you just choose one from the current teams in the game.
See but that's what's ridiculous. The fact that most people rather a game that is 4 years old as oppose to the current 'sequel' version of it. I don't even like Rugby and RLL2 looks somewhat enjoyable compared to AFL Live 2. DBC is clearly the best cricket game ever made so AFLL2 really is no comparison to that either.
Basically it would seem that Big Ant are the far superior developer, yet Tru Blu would rather a half arsed ported version of a game that has never gotten a good review previously. Where is the logic? It seems Tru Blu have absolutely no idea what they're doing. Almost as if they aim to fail yet were unsuccessful even at that, at least when it comes to Big Ant games anyway. The rest I'd say they've done a pretty good job at.
Big ants AFL Live 2 would have been epic no doubt, I'm not a huge rugby fan but I became a bit addicted to RLL2 when I first bought it and still thoroughly enjoy it today and being able to play as the western reds with the right logo and at nib stadium is awesome. ( I'm hanging out for a ps4 port of DBC so I haven't played it yet but it does look awesome ) . So don't get me wrong I love what Big Ant are doing for these somewhat lesser known or supported sports and I eagerly anticipate tabletop cricket and lacrosse.

With Tru Blu I still wonder whether they need an afl game every 2 years to have it make sense money wise if that makes sense, so with big ant maybe not able to get afl live 2 out in that 2 year window maybe it forced their hand a bit, hopefully now that the base for DBC to be built off is completed Big Ant might be able to pump out cricket and rugby games every 2 years and tru blu will hand the afl license back, honestly I can't see why they wouldn't the majority of people want big ant anyway.

Patch 1.02 aside , surely everyone can agree that even though afl live feels strategically superior. There are some things that can be taken from afl live 2 to better afl live. Example , the physical contact before a mark/spoil feels in my opinion much better in afl live 2. Combine the best of both and you would have an exceptional game. One thing is for sure big ant makes better patches.

Ps Ross , how is that kicking improvement going for rll3:) more power on grubbers , more airtime and unpredictability on up and unders? My only real gripe for rll2.
Cheers and Salud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My recent AFL Live history (not that anyone asked and apologies if this is a bit OT):

• Bought AFL Live 2 at launch; loaded it up. It looks 'nice'. Then saw rovers in the ruck and the FF hanging out by themselves more often than not. They were deal breakers for me. It's about respect for the mechanics of the game.
  • New season, renewed interest in AFL games again. Loaded AFL Live 1 and haven't looked back.
  • Going to check out AFL Live 2 soon. The patch gives me faint hope.

Two things:
  • As much as I love AFL gaming I can't be arsed spending hours in Footy Factory updating lists. Unfortunately it is now beginning to be a bit of a struggle filling a team in AFL Live 1 with current players. A victory feels hollow playing with a retired star or frustrating playing with a spud we've long since delisted. I'll always love AFL Live 1 but I won't be playing it forever.
  • I recently bought a 27 inch monitor. I have to say, AFL 1 on 1440 is pretty sweet. For a four year old game I'm seriously impressed. Although the crowd has disappeared ever since I've changed to this resolution, go figure.

Anyway, now WW have had two bites at the cherry I have a bit of optimism for AFL Live 2. And I do like the idea of buying it on PSN so you don't have to be switching discs for a quick game. Bit of a shame AFL 1 didn't make it on there.

Last edited:
What about the new control options, is it possible to not have mark, tackle and kick all as the same button?

Well yeah kinda this was the only reason i really got the patch; There are some changes to the controls as in afl live 1.

Left trigger and y is no longer spoil - it is the right thumbstick
in conjunction with above right thumbstick is nno longer bump as in afl live 1, i got used to pressing left bumper while in possesion and providing sheppards off the ball - now right thumbstick changes player and spoils, to bump it is now a
Kicking to target is a bit confusing also left trigger is now kick modifier, yes it locks onto a target but your player ends up kicking torps :/.
Dont remember if right trigger does anything now

albeit all these controls are per the xbox unsure if ps3 has the same problem

This might seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to simulate user controlled games in the competition setting? I would like to play a season with more than one team, but not necessarily play every single game and for the life of me I can't find a simulate game option anywhere in the menus. Am I just missing something here? I know it was possible on AFL Live 1, and I am pretty sure that was also the case on 2, at least before patches/DLC. Thanks in advance!

Zane

Hopefully the DLC/Patch includes updated camera angles. I prefer to play with the camera behind the ball carrier, such as that of the older AFL games.

Ive been doing that for the last 10 months. Its been there for a while.

BUG!

A player I drafted before the patch, Ebsen Doolan, has had his name changed to Ebsen Myers. Damn, he was my best CHF too...

Hi guys, I haven't touched AFL live 2 for months and i would like to know the changes in the game. Can you make custom teams now? Is it worth playing again?
Kind Regards
C2B

If you have played afl live 2 to the point of mastering it on highest level easyily beating the AI by more then 30 points. Then yes get patch 1.02. Because they AI cheats by kicking 90 to 99% on set shots and keeps the game competitive . But if you found afl live 2 fairly challenging on highest difficulty win some /lose some. Then do not upgrade the patch, it will really irritate you. Now, as for the purchasable downloadable content I do support this, i just don't know if you can get the downloadable content without upgrading to patch 1.02. I personally prefer patch 1.01 and I am very dissapointed I upgraded to patch 1.02 and I can't go back to a game I trully liked.

Cheers and Salud

Well, finally giving AFL Live 2 a proper crack for the first time. Initial impressions:

- it looks like WW have worried about everything except the core gameplay
- that the ruck bug persists through two patches in unforgiveable
- there doesn't seem to be any real hang time in the long kicks. Your defenders appear to be found out of position often with no opportunity to close the gap a lot of the time.
- the game reminds me of EA's AFL 98. It looks like AFL, it plays like AFL, but it doesn't feel like it

Some positives:
- I think when I get used to the tackling it will be an improvement over AFL 1
- the goal kicking mechanic is fun (at least for now)
- the game feels a little more fluid than AFL 1

That's it for now.

Well I got on and beat Sydney by 70 odd points on Legendary. Despite their 12-3. Though 2 were punched through for a behind and 1 was on the run.
Wasn't fun though. I'd rather do that on Live 1

I had emailed Wicked Witch about the AI"s kicking in Patch 1.02 that it is way to accurate 90 to 99%, regardless of who is kicking, stats and player ratings don't matter. There is still some hope, this is there response.

"Thanks for the email, we are aware that by making the game harder, the AI is now too good at kicking goals.
We will be looking at all other feedback and considering a patch, especially if there are any other major problems found."
" Kind regards,
Wicked Witch"

I had emailed Wicked Witch about the AI"s kicking in Patch 1.02 that it is way to accurate 90 to 99%, regardless of who is kicking, stats and player ratings don't matter. There is still some hope, this is there response.

"Thanks for the email, we are aware that by making the game harder, the AI is now too good at kicking goals.
We will be looking at all other feedback and considering a patch, especially if there are any other major problems found."
" Kind regards,
Wicked Witch"

That's good news. I think that's the thing killing it right now. I'm having fun with the rest of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back