AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from the lame attempts to block you from using it on a tv, the other shiteful features of this app include piss poor resolution and streaming quality by modern standards and a total lack of options for video size and quality. Most phones and tablets are 1080p minimum, yet the quality is significantly worse than Channel 7, and they suck. I look at the quality of steaming video with YouTube, Netflix and others and it really pisses me off that this is the best the AFL can do.

No surprises that Telstra is involved in this embarrassing app. The same Telstra that owns 50% of Foxtel and has a huge incentive to make the app a p.o.s. by comparison.

Quality is perfect, if you got off dial up you'd get good quality.

Funny how I can stream Netflix in 1080p perfectly on my dialup and it looks 10x better than the AFL app.

If you think the quality is perfect you must be comparing it to garbage.

Garbage is garbage.
AFL Live is 480p. No difference between that and HD.

Garbage is garbage.
AFL Live is 480p. No difference between that and HD.

HD is 720P
Full HD is 1080P

The whole problem is Foxtel.

Can't wait to end their monopoly, and AFL start licencing to others.
Seriously just want to subscribe to live footy that I can watch on a TV.
I don't give a rats about any other TV crap packages.

Last edited:
im based in thailand at the moment and i use AFL Global Pass. besides the fact that it is expensive ($25/month) the quality varies far too much and is often flimsy on portable devices - smart phones/ipads.

let's just throw in the fact the collingwood-port game didnt even start working till half time a few weeks back for good measure.

also ill add the fact afl.com.au is one of the most bland and mundane sports websites on the internet. cheers Telstra for this online version of a can of spam.

I think its time for all the old farts to get out of this thread. Its been stated hundreds of times that you can watch this on your tv. The quality's fine. You want it better, go pay $50 a month for it.

I think its time for all the old farts to get out of this thread. Its been stated hundreds of times that you can watch this on your tv. The quality's fine. You want it better, go pay $50 a month for it.

The quality is terrible - im on a 100 down 40 up nbn line - 480 is woeful and pixellated on any decent sized screen

I dont care if the afl wants to charge 200 a year - i want hd and im not giving murdoch a cent

The quality is terrible - im on a 100 down 40 up nbn line - 480 is woeful and pixellated on any decent sized screen

I dont care if the afl wants to charge 200 a year - i want hd and im not giving murdoch a cent

I'm watching off the iPhone through my Apple TV. Quality is better than standard definition but not as good as Netflix hd. I don't notice much pixelation at all but I watch only on plasma TVs which handle that stuff better. Happy with $5 a week until they block me from doing this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm watching off the iPhone through my Apple TV. Quality is better than standard definition but not as good as Netflix hd. I don't notice much pixelation at all but I watch only on plasma TVs which handle that stuff better. Happy with $5 a week until they block me from doing this.

Have they uncrippled the app from airplaying properly?

I tried early on in the year and it was sheisse so i didnt renew

Have they uncrippled the app from airplaying properly?

I tried early on in the year and it was sheisse so i didnt renew

It works in my iPhone 6, just need to AirPlay then turn on mirroring and you get full screen, or 95% if it. If you use an iPad it doesn't work, at least it doesn't work on my mums iPad, which is a bit older than the current one, I think.

I like it a lot. Check out high scoring quarters and watch a quarter of footy every morning on the exercise bike on my phone. Doesn't cost me any data as on Telstra. Perfect.

That is only replays though never watched live streaming on it.

I seriously doubt this. Are you able to post a screenshot? Particularly where the ball is near the excellent new electronic billboards?

I seriously doubt this. Are you able to post a screenshot? Particularly where the ball is near the excellent new electronic billboards?

I was thinking of doing this but since I use my phone to play on the TV I'm not sure what I can take a video with. I might have to borrow something to do it.

You sounds like more of an old fart with your apparent vision problems.

The quality is watchable on a TV. But it's clearly worse than SD when you take into account compression, smoothness of motion, etc. It's also worse resolution than SD TV (480p vs 576i for FTA) and in most cases will suffer from slight, but perceptible, juddering as the native refresh rate of the AFL Live stream is adjusted to match the device rendering it (many mirroring setups reduce the frequency to 30Hz, for example).

It's easy enough to confirm. 576i in Australia uses around 7mpbs of bandwidth, while the absolute best quality the AFL Live App puts out is around 3mpbs (EDIT: might be more like 700kbps). So Channel 7's video is carrying a minimum of double the data to your screen (EDIT: might be more like 10x). Foxtel HD would be more like 10x (EDIT: might be more like 40x).

I wonder how many people claiming the quality is good fit one of the following categories:
  • Current TV set up is appalling so they have no idea what a good quality broadcast looks like in the first place
  • Vision problems/old age/mental infirmity
  • Watching replays or using WatchAFL rather than live games on the AFL Live App (which have significantly worse quality than replays or the international site)
  • Don't actually care about image quality and assume that if they are fine with it, it must be "good"

Last edited:
I was thinking of doing this but since I use my phone to play on the TV I'm not sure what I can take a video with. I might have to borrow something to do it.
Should be possible to grab a screenshot directly on the phone. Would be interesting for a few of us to compare - I'll try to do the same.

A video of another video is not going to help, needs to be a screenshot straight from the source.

Surely you have a camera?

You sounds like more of an old fart with your apparent vision problems.

The quality is watchable on a TV. But it's clearly worse than SD when you take into account compression, smoothness of motion, etc. It's also worse resolution than SD TV (480p vs 576i for FTA) and in most cases will suffer from slight, but perceptible, juddering as the native refresh rate of the AFL Live stream is adjusted to match the device rendering it (many mirroring setups reduce the frequency to 30Hz, for example).

It's easy enough to confirm. 576i in Australia uses around 7mpbs of bandwidth, while the absolute best quality the AFL Live App puts out is around 3mpbs. So Channel 7's video is carrying a minimum of double the data to your screen. Foxtel HD would be more like 10x.

I wonder how many people claiming the quality is good fit one of the following categories:
  • Current TV set up is appalling so they have no idea what a good quality broadcast looks like in the first place
  • Vision problems/old age/mental infirmity
  • Watching replays or using WatchAFL rather than live games on the AFL Live App (which have significantly worse quality than replays or the international site)
  • Don't actually care about image quality and assume that if they are fine with it, it must be "good"

You know all the details. Are informed about the issue. If you want better quality you just have to pay I'm afraid. If I post a video it might clear up your categories though. Maybe I'm less demanding PQ wise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back