AFL Live PC version, when? How 'bout NOW?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rooboy2

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Westham
From FAQs it says "PC version will be released at a later date."

Well check Big Ant web site, one could take form that that PC version is out otherwise it is misleading?

just a suggestion Big Ant, annouce PC version date or fix your site.

Cheers
John

Re: AFL Live PC version, when?

Then it'll wind up like the previous AFL games where they don't even bother with a PC release at all.

Pretty crap excuse, really.

Then it'll wind up like the previous AFL games where they don't even bother with a PC release at all.

Pretty crap excuse, really.

BigAnt's previous title Rugby League Live came out on PC a few months after the consoles.

Developers make bugger all from PC market, seems majority of them just download torrents.

Developers make bugger all from PC market, seems majority of them just download torrents.

Oh, come on. There's plenty of PC-exclusive games out there, from major to indi developers, which are able to be extremely successful.

If the game's good enough, it will be fine.

maybe if they released a demo people wouldn't torrent it to try it...

Oh, come on. There's plenty of PC-exclusive games out there, from major to indi developers, which are able to be extremely successful.

If the game's good enough, it will be fine.

People would still rip it off. I don't blame them, by having it console exclusive they can maximse profits before the PC market pirate it.

Okay if that is reasson for delay, pirated copies, well it is going to happen no matetr when released.

Delaying it will not make any difference.

As one other poster said, other devlopers publishers release all 3 formats at same time, I know Codemasters etc are bigger than BigAnt, but one has to ask, why are companies like them no as worried about pirating? I'm sure they are, but delaying it, this excuse is lame.

This is just bad marketing, not every gamer owns a PS3 or Xbox or wants to.

If you wanted to maximise sales, then you would release on every platform at once. Interest is at the highest point in this title right now, it most likley will not be in a few months!

why would us pc gamers want it if say we don't get a chance to get it till 3 or 4 or w/e months later.? Please take this on Board Big Ant.

Xbox owners who may be reading this topic should know how us pc gamers feel, we all remember sony and ps2 stuff up, so much so, sony never made the 3rd version that the AFL had given them licence for, hmm let me think why, ah do I have to anwer my own questions as to why?

Nope.

It's the Publisher not Big Ant who make the decision.

Also I wonder if those complaining have ever pirated themselves?

You think that piracy on xbox360/ps3 doesn't happen? Im pretty sure there's soft mods for all consoles and the game has probably been ripped for them the day it came out.

Could at least release it on Steam, who knows, might even give it some international audience and give afl fans overseas the chance to play.

To not even communicate anything about the pc release to this point, and stating piracy as the delay reason is pretty amateur.

I walk past game stores which openly advertise mods for consoles, for goodness sake. Do you think there aren't any torrents of the game already up?

DS is incredibly easy to pirate - how many publishers delay or avoid DS releases for that reason?

A good game will sell, especially if it has an online component, regardless of the platform.

Oh, and as for your little query, I have over 200 retail PC games filling a couple of bookcases, not to mention well over 50 on Steam and a dozen on GoG. I'm more than capable of and prepared to purchase games.

If I, as a PC-only user, are treated as an afterthought, then maybe I won't bother.

It happens on consoles sure, but there is more effort involved to do it. There is also less of it.

I wonder if those complaining pirate any games?

It happens on consoles sure, but there is more effort involved to do it. There is also less of it.

I wonder if those complaining pirate any games?

Well I don't, and I suspect others do not, all we want is a fair deal
Which we are not getting.

Is there more behind this excuse than meets the eye?

Dare I say what my guts is telling me, as a Wii version is due out next month, there will be NO PC version and you guys just don't have the courage to say so.

Nothing personal, but all these excuses, can only bring one consolution.
The $$ are not in the PC for you and your publishers.

If that is true, say it and then at least we will know! and can move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I don't, and I suspect others do not, all we want is a fair deal
Which we are not getting.

Is there more behind this excuse than meets the eye?

Dare I say what my guts is telling me, as a Wii version is due out next month, there will be NO PC version and you guys just don't have the courage to say so.

Nothing personal, but all these excuses, can only bring one consolution.
The $$ are not in the PC for you and your publishers.

If that is true, say it and then at least we will know! and can move on.

Firstly I don't work for BigAnt or Tru Blu. I'm just a forum moderator who does this in my spare time. :)

Tru-Blu is the publisher, the Wii game is being developed by Wicked Witch. The delays is because Nintendo is based in Japan and they're in the s**t right now with earthquakes and nuclear plant meltdowns etc.

The PC version was created by BigAnt and is finished I believe? (though you think it could be patched easier so when released it wont have the bugs that the console versions have).

Also wasn't trying to put out excuses? The piracy is the reason there are no $$'s in the PC market. At least the publisher will still be selling a PC version (albeit delayed).

Damn pirates!

As much as I want to play the game already (without having to go to a friend's place) I can understand why TruBlu have done it. They would have more to lose than EA or other larger companies etc, since the game has a much smaller market, they're a smaller, local company and it's the first of a series so there isn't massive exposure. So as has been mentioned, to maximise sales they've decided to release the more easily pirated+played PC version later. Which is fair enough, I want them to get lots of sales and I'm also hoping that TruBlu decide to keep the PC version going in future releases (since they forced BigAnt to do one this time).

Also, I talked to the HES/TruBlu guy at the Adelaide playtest and he said they hoped to release the PC version about 2 months after the other release. Of course, you'd need to wait until there's official confirmation but it could be a June release, hopefully at least by July.

EDIT: I also wonder, that with sales of the XBox and PS3 versions going gangbusters and another set of discs probably having to be pressed, that maybe the PC version could get released sooner than expected (my speculation only). If it's finished and they can incorporate the patch soon, they might decide they will get enough sales easily for Xbox and PS3 to justify another instalment and not worry as much about losing $$ to piracy. That being said, they might think there's still plenty of opportunity for sales on XBox/PS3 even after the initial run and filling pre-orders made after stores have run out.

I only play PC games (Have a PS2, but no PS3 or Xbox), and never pirate.

I do admit to pirating quite a bit in terms of music, tv shows and movies, but not games. Mainly because I like to be able to use patches when they come out, and a lot of games I play also have user created content that I like to use (the big pro for PC games over consoles along with better graphics), which often has conflicts with a pirated game. Plus PC games are relatively cheap compared to the console versions, especially if you buy off ebay or some other international online shop, which is far superior to buying from the store considering the strength of the aussie dollar, and the fact prices have not gone down relatively whatsoever.

People that buy games from a video shop rather than importing are paying double, if not 3 or 4 times the price they could be.

Okay if that is reasson for delay, pirated copies, well it is going to happen no matetr when released.

Delaying it will not make any difference.

As one other poster said, other devlopers publishers release all 3 formats at same time, I know Codemasters etc are bigger than BigAnt, but one has to ask, why are companies like them no as worried about pirating? I'm sure they are, but delaying it, this excuse is lame.
Obviously you have done LITTLE research.

Have you ever asked why International Cricket 2010 didn't come out on PC? Piracy might be your answer there, Codemasters...

Generally the bigger publishers won't need to worry about piracy on PC as the sales from the games can outweigh the costs and effects of piracy throughout it's time in the online shelves/retailers shelves.

This game however has razor thin profit margin potential and any potential piracy attempts deserve to be quashed for as long as possible.
DS is incredibly easy to pirate - how many publishers delay or avoid DS releases for that reason?
Do DS titles cost millions of dollars to make and therefore run the risk of losing that much in no sales? Of course not, DS titles are a lot cheaper to make than proper next-gen HD titles and therefore the risk of losing significant money through piracy is well and truly there.

The point of releasing on consoles first for a few months is to maximise those sales and turn the PC gamers that would perhaps pirate it to having to buy the game instead.

While you may give a few examples of yourselves being PC only gamers the majority of PC gamers out there own at least a PS3, Wii or 360 and will choose that option than the wait of 4+ months before the title comes to PC.

Obviously you have done LITTLE research.

Have you ever asked why International Cricket 2010 didn't come out on PC? Piracy might be your answer there, Codemasters...

Generally the bigger publishers won't need to worry about piracy on PC as the sales from the games can outweigh the costs and effects of piracy throughout it's time in the online shelves/retailers shelves.

This game however has razor thin profit margin potential and any potential piracy attempts deserve to be quashed for as long as possible.Do DS titles cost millions of dollars to make and therefore run the risk of losing that much in no sales? Of course not, DS titles are a lot cheaper to make than proper next-gen HD titles and therefore the risk of losing significant money through piracy is well and truly there.

The point of releasing on consoles first for a few months is to maximise those sales and turn the PC gamers that would perhaps pirate it to having to buy the game instead.

While you may give a few examples of yourselves being PC only gamers the majority of PC gamers out there own at least a PS3, Wii or 360 and will choose that option than the wait of 4+ months before the title comes to PC.

I could add other games that have been relased on all formats, But I won't go in for a tit for tat.

What or who do you base that comment on, I know very many PC gamers who don't own consoles, why, because PC gamers are a unique consumer who spend money on their rigs to get the best possible display, performance, reliability, Also PC Windows games, don't become non usable unlike console ones as soon as Sony or MS release a new console. with the exception of one game, I have 20 plus games that I can play on XP or Win 7.

The fact this thread is getting posts I feel says it all.
If people had both PC and a console, then no one else would be posting.

Big Ant this is not a go at you, but just the delay excuse is poor, We all want a chance to support this title equally so you guys make the $$$ to keep on delvoping it for all consumers, But the way your going about it doesn't make me and I suspsect other PC gamers feel like doing it. It may actually do the oppsite and make some say stuff them and get a illegal version when it is finnaly realsed on PC.
Not mne, I will buy it, always have and always will, I don't want to buy a Console that costs $500 for just one title. That is just bad use of money.

to add to the debate about why a PC version should be delayed because of pirates, while this following web site, makes valid arguments for that decison, it also does go onto say some very interesting things about the differtences between PC gaming and Consoles.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_6.html

Well worth a full read.

Reading that article just strengthens the developers/publishers positions on PC gaming IMO. PC community has brought it all on themselves . Which is unfortunate for those who don't pirate

Reading that article just strengthens the developers/publishers positions on PC gaming IMO. PC community has brought it all on themselves . Which is unfortunate for those who don't pirate
Ant I'm sorry but you've been talking out of your arse this whole time. I don't even know if we can get into this debate again because last time the thread was locked, posts deleted and members banned.

I will be buying the pc version whenever it comes out, would love it even more if BigAnt Studios struck a deal with an online distributor and it was able to be purchased and downloaded from Steam, D2D etc :D:thumbsu:. I've become a direct download pc gamer over the last 12 months, although if the release was big enough i would purchase the proper retail disc version as well (did this with NBA 2K11, got the physical copy first..... downloaded the digital version a few weeks later).

People need to remember this game is primarily an Aussie release. Other games (ea, 2k games) are a world wide release. The impact of pirating afl live is far more severe of pirating 2k11.

I will be buying the pc version whenever it comes out, would love it even more if BigAnt Studios struck a deal with an online distributor and it was able to be purchased and downloaded from Steam, D2D etc :D:thumbsu:. I've become a direct download pc gamer over the last 12 months, although if the release was big enough i would purchase the proper retail disc version as well (did this with NBA 2K11, got the physical copy first..... downloaded the digital version a few weeks later).
BigAnt have NOTHING to do with the release and where it goes, it's been said plenty of times, but Tru Blu are the one's pushing the PC release.

Ross wouldn't even have the PC version going ahead if it wasn't for Tru Blu.

And going on RLL, it'll be released on Games for Windows Live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back