AFL Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Will this weeks pre-season kick and giggle include a cast of thousands or will it just be for the clubs in the Mackay competition??

8 teams competing as far as i know JB. 7 mackay clubs and the mackay crows under 18 rep team. Should be a good hit out for all clubs. All teams will play a minimum of 2 games. Should be some good footy played with most teams having already played a practice match or 2.

As expected Hawks took up a strong squad up & won the Trophy.

Hawks 4.6.30 to Magpies 3.1.19

Good effort by Magpies considering the players they had available, only had two on the bench all day which restricted rotatations etc...

Every team had key players missing & seemed they have picked up a few handy players, Hawks recruits looked good & thay will be the yard stick again this year.

It will be a big challange for all the other clubs to see if someone can push the the Hawks & prevent them from being undefeated again!

Apparently Hawks 2012 newly appointed Captain Ben (bomber) Drew is relocating due to his Wife getting a job transfer,

Saints have seemed to pick up some recruits recently which will cover some of their losses & will be there abouts again?

Talking of recruits for north mackay, i see tim jenkins has turned up at aspley state league footy club. i don't think playing this weekend though

Rep game coming up in a few weeks, who are the likely standouts and any possibilities to go further and make Stockmen side or even QLD Country team?

Who & when was the last Mackay player to be selected in the Stockman or QLD country team?

If everyone is available the Rep team this year it could the best its been for a few years & give Townsville a scare up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

is David Hamill and Austin Lucy playing up there? if so how are they going?

Pretty sure every club has spoke to Lucy, apparently if he does play up here he's not available for many games.

As for David Hamill, Hawks already have a big type similar forward like Hamill & it will be interesting to see how/if they function well together.
Both big strong marks but whether Hawks can carry two big blokes that struggle below their knees in the same forward line is yet to be established, they may struggling against a good running back line if their delivery is no good & the ball is on the ground a lot inside Hawks 50 arc.

Swans v Hawks at Swans this Saturday should be a good opening round for both these teams, you would comfortably tip Hawks on the big open Swans ground, especially with Hawks skillful running game.
But word is Swans give themselves some hope, word is they had 40 on the truck & things are the way up at Swanland.
Swans lack fitness which will be their downfall in the 2nd half & Hawks will run away with it I'm tipping but should be good encounter for the 1st 2nHalf qtrs.
As the season goes on th Swans will get fitter & be hard to beat in the 2nd half of the season.

i'm thinking peter farrent, john price or mark mooney
Have followed this 'greatest ever' thread for a long time without commenting until now.

While Farrant was a fantastic player', dont regard him as highly as Moons & Pricey.

Was amazed that no-one considered any of the great Whitsunday players (apart from 'Shaker' from their 8 priemiership teams.
Having been involved at Airlie for 10 years, & at a very decent level in Vic before that, I can safely put forward Kelvin Agg, Michael Green and Daniel Villani to rival that trio. Also add Nick O'Reilly, Daniel Moss & Mark Pollard from recent times.

From the 90's flags (93-94-95-96) the legendary names are many, but the few that seem to keep coming to the top are Wayne Stevens, Todd Watson, Jeff Mackey.
Ive seen Faz, Pricey & Moons up close when they got the better of us, and when we got the better of them also.

Have followed this 'greatest ever' thread for a long time without commenting until now.

While Farrant was a fantastic player', dont regard him as highly as Moons & Pricey.

Was amazed that no-one considered any of the great Whitsunday players (apart from 'Shaker' from their 8 priemiership teams.
Having been involved at Airlie for 10 years, & at a very decent level in Vic before that, I can safely put forward Kelvin Agg, Michael Green and Daniel Villani to rival that trio. Also add Nick O'Reilly, Daniel Moss & Mark Pollard from recent times.

From the 90's flags (93-94-95-96) the legendary names are many, but the few that seem to keep coming to the top are Wayne Stevens, Todd Watson, Jeff Mackey.
Ive seen Faz, Pricey & Moons up close when they got the better of us, and when we got the better of them also.
Great input...go back to my post at #697..2nd last paragraph..mentioned a few playes from your gtreat era!! :cool:

hi c_eagle always , I would absolutely agree with Kelvin Agg, Tough ,hard and skillful. Not sure about villani- very,very good player ,not sure if in same class.
i see austin lucy playing with city hawks this weekend.

hi c_eagle always , I would absolutely agree with Kelvin Agg, Tough ,hard and skillful. Not sure about villani- very,very good player ,not sure if in same class.
i see austin lucy playing with city hawks this weekend.

Lucy played for City on Anzac Day against Country, & didn't do much.
Maybe Penguin pushed Lucy to Hawks so he could play for City.

Hawks biggest issue will be if they become to top heavy.

With All the quality recruits Hawks have picked up this year, ontop of an already undefeated side, if they don't win the flag again they'd wanna have a long hard look at themselves.
Someone made an interesting point to me when we were discussing the Hawks recently, he said Hawks are recruiting a premiership not a football club.
They have to be careful they don't burn too many locals in the meantime because when the recruits move on they will depend on the locals, if they are still their!
Look where it got Bakers Creek.

With All the quality recruits Hawks have picked up this year, ontop of an already undefeated side, if they don't win the flag again they'd wanna have a long hard look at themselves.
Someone made an interesting point to me when we were discussing the Hawks recently, he said Hawks are recruiting a premiership not a football club.
They have to be careful they don't burn too many locals in the meantime because when the recruits move on they will depend on the locals, if they are still their!
Not sure if he has played yet but Liam French got offered 300 a game to play for the hawks

Knowing some of the Hawks leaders, they are enjoying the amount of new players who have contacted them for a game. David Johnstone must have the gift of the gab because I can't imagine Carey Regan handing out money for players.

Not sure if he has played yet but Liam French got offered 300 a game to play for the hawks

A rumour from the City / Country game is the black & white birds from Glenella asking questions on potential coaches. Is there going to be a coup ?

You sound abit jealous BD! You will find though the recruits that have come into the team this year, are replacing the premiership players that we have lost from last season and there wont be any locals missing out on a game.

HI Burning Desire
I have found over the years the only players that leave the hawks are -
#the ones that don't fit into what i would call a pretty good footy club culture, and they know they don't fit in or
#players that can't get a game and find it easier to go elswhere to get play senior football .They are cleared and go on their way with the best wishes of the club.

Reading through burning desire's comment about recruiting a premiership not a foootball club.Seems to me the hawks have been the hawks for what i would call a long time, yes they change the jumper design from time to time but in the end they are the brown and gold and the hawks. The saints have been the saints for a long time ,the swans have been the swans for a long time. .Recently after only what seems a VERY ,VERY short time a kangaroo became a magpie, and your talking about building a club and identity, unless your colour blind, black and white isn't blue and white.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back