News AFL Multi-Cultural Round 19 - A Milestone on PAFC's Long March

Remove this Banner Ad

newfooty620ns.jpg

Okay, it's only Round 18, but it's a good time to open this thread. Next week there should be more news from our Club leading up to the match versus the Bulldogs at Docklands in Round 19.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-...you-spell-sherrin-in-hindi-mandarin-or-arabic

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-21/how-do-you-spell-umpire-in-greek-find-out-in-round-19

Greek: Adelaide v Richmond (Adelaide Oval)
Hindi: Collingwood v Carlton (MCG) and St Kilda v Fremantle (Etihad Stadium)
Mandarin: Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide (Etihad Stadium) and Melbourne v North Melbourne (MCG)
Vietnamese: Brisbane Lions v Gold Coast (Gabba)
Italian: West Coast v Hawthorn (Domain Stadium)
Spanish: Geelong v Sydney Swans (Simonds Stadium)
Arabic: GWS v Essendon (Spotless Stadium)

Round 19, Multi-Cultural Round, and PAFC is into it up to their mandarin collars. Which inspires me to point out that 'Mandarin' is not a written language but a spoken one, meaning 'common' Chinese or, as per 1979 pinyin, putonghua. If you choose to go there, get it right, please, AFL. The written language is, simply, 'Chinese'.

Seven languages selected by the Mother Ship (AFL HQ), doubtless reflective of the top seven, by number, non-convict ethnic communities in Australia. What's missing is Malay, the language spoken by 300,000,000 people living on Australia's northern doorstep. The choice cannot have been made by the AFL based on commercial potential.

The country assigned to our new-found mates in Vanillaville is ... Greece.

Edit 3 Aug 2015:
http://www.afr.com/business/sport/afl-club-port-adelaide-planning-big-china-push-20150729-gimtes

Last edited:
Well if Greece is the word...

mUkbZFGR8GtvLRmvI86gixw.jpg

View attachment 157449

Okay, it's only Round 18, but it's a good time to open this thread. Next week there should be more news from our Club leading up to the match versus the Bulldogs at Docklands in Round 19.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-...you-spell-sherrin-in-hindi-mandarin-or-arabic

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-21/how-do-you-spell-umpire-in-greek-find-out-in-round-19

Mandarin: Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide (Etihad Stadium) and Melbourne v North Melbourne (MCG)

Round 19, Multi-Cultural Round, and PAFC is into it up to their mandarin collars. Which inspires me to point out that 'Mandarin' is not a written language but a spoken one, meaning 'common' Chinese or, as per 1979 pinyin, putonghua. If you choose to go there, get it right, please, AFL. The written language is, simply, 'Chinese'.

Seven languages selected by the Mother Ship (AFL HQ), doubtless reflective of the top seven, by number, non-convict ethnic communities in Australia. What's missing is Malay, the language spoken by 300,000,000 people living on Australia's northern doorstep. The choice cannot have been made by the AFL based on commercial potential.

Pousti

View attachment 157449

Only seven? Melbourne v Norf match ball should have Hebrew/Yiddish and St Kilda v Freo have Malay

View attachment 157449

It's clearly based on Australian community languages.
upload_2015-7-30_14-21-24.png

View attachment 157610

Many thanks for this. The table shows Mandarin and Cantonese as separate spoken languages, which they are. They have a common written language which should be defined as 'Chinese.'

View attachment 157610

Hola! The Spanish number there is a lot higher than I'd expect. Didn't think we'd attracted that many migrants from the Spanish speaking countries (including the US lol) I guess they all add up.

Hola! The Spanish number there is a lot higher than I'd expect. Didn't think we'd attracted that many migrants from the Spanish speaking countries (including the US lol) I guess they all add up.
All those Latin Americans seeking exile and escaping the dictators in the 1970's and 1980's.

Plus there is a lot of uni students from Latin America especially in Sydney and Melbourne as Oz has targeted Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Peru and Brazil (I know speak Portuguese). This Feb 2014 article from Crikey explains the growth in students from Latin America. The Brazilian government program Science Without Borders have seen a lot of Brazilian's come to Oz - yes they speak Portuguese not Spanish.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2014/02/14...endy-destination-for-latin-american-students/

The Latin American cultural presence in Australia goes beyond Zumba classes and fancy tacos. It’s no wonder we hear more Spanish and Portuguese in the streets: the proportion of Latin American students in Australia has been steadily growing in the last seven years. The number of student visas issued to Latin American citizens rose 34% between 2006-07 and 2012-13.Chileans, Brazilians, Venezuelans, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, Mexicans and Colombians hold 8.1% of all student visas granted in 2012-13, up from 6% seven years ago, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection reports. Although Asian students still comprise the vast majority of student visa holders (19.9% from China alone), the proportion of Latin Americans has been growing every year.

Sent this link to our mate Diego a couple of months ago re the students in Oz. Approx 300,000 new students come to Oz each year and about 10,000-12,000 from Brazil putting them 5th behind China, India, South Korea and Vietnam. This immigration government report gives you breakdowns - starting from page 14 of the report for individual countries.
http://www.border.gov.au/Reportsand...013-14.pdf#search=Student Visa program trends

Didn't you know Melbourne has the highest immigrant population from <insert name of country here> outside of their home country. You hear it at every tennis Australian Open.

Absolutely sick of all these special rounds. The afl has gone mad. It's football not politics.

Agree 1000% I am waiting for the Bald, Beer Guts, Old Fart round so I can get into the footy free. Maybe call it the Homer Simpson or Archie Bunker round?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't you know Melbourne has the highest immigrant population from <insert name of country here> outside of their home country. You hear it at every tennis Australian Open.

Jest as you will but...

At one stage Melbourne had the second largest Greek speaking population of any city on the planet. Only Athens had more Greek speakers. The way things are going in Greece, Melbourne might well become the largest Greek speaking city. In the 2001 census there were 151,785 Greek speakers in Melbourne. These people identified Greek as their first language and the figure would not include many second and third generation Australian/Greeks who identify English as a first language. Maybe the Caringbush will change their name once again to the 'Collingwood/Greek' combine?

Jest as you will but...

At one stage Melbourne had the second largest Greek speaking population of any city on the planet. Only Athens had more Greek speakers. The way things are going in Greece, Melbourne might well become the largest Greek speaking city. In the 2001 census there were 151,785 Greek speakers in Melbourne. These people identified Greek as their first language and the figure would not include many second and third generation Australian/Greeks who identify English as a first language. Maybe the Caringbush will change their name once again to the 'Collingwood/Greek' combine?

Yeah I reckon some of the figures are a bit dodgy, the vast majority of Greeks and Italians under the age of 60 are second and third geneneration where English is the language used at home.

I have amended the thread title, to make it relevant to PAFC, not to multicultural round in general.

PAFC is positioned in the Round 19 programme as being in the lead when it comes to China, implying that the Club's venture to take AFL to South China and the Chinese community in SA, and to seek commercial reciprocation from Chinese and China-related interests, among other developments, now has evident support from AFL House.

The Club should be making its own announcements next week re a special jumper design, etc., etc.

To be fair (and I do preface this by saying I'm from WA/Perth), I think Melbourne's cultural genuinely an exceptional feature. Love the pockets of the Greek community in Oakleigh, Vietnamese in Collingwood, Italians in Carlton etc.

The 12 potato farmers of Guangzhou wont be there for multi cultural round but they will be in Adelaide for the GWS game according to Richo at the Club1870 event.

Last edited:
The 12 potato farmers Guangzhou wont be there for multi cultural round but they will be in Adelaide for the GWS game according to Richo at the Club1870 event.

We hear it first on BigFooty ;) :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Last edited:
Many thanks for this. The table shows Mandarin and Cantonese as separate spoken languages, which they are. They have a common written language which should be defined as 'Chinese.'

I'm no expert on Asian languages but my Chinese Indo wife has no issues reading Japanese or Korean. I trust they must be reasonably similar with characters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back