Preview AFL NAB Challenge 1 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Tony Ireland Stadium, 3:40PM (local) Sunday 1 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, agree about Cowan. I would've expected them to give him a quarter at least in each of the 3 games, increasing to 3/4 in the last, because of the lack of game time he's had in the past 3 odd years.
Still, it's a fine line between cooking these young boys and the players coming back from LTIs and getting valuable, meaningful game time into their legs and their bodies. I hope that the medical staff have got a bloody good program mapped out for Cowan.
It might have been thought that the trip North + hot weather wasn't the best first game environment for Cowan coming back from an LTI, at a guess.

GEELONG 2. Billie Smedts, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 5. Nakia Cockatoo, 7. Harry Taylor, 8. Jake Kolodjashnij, 9. James Kelly, 11. Darcy Lang, 12. Sam Blease, 13. Tom Lonergan, 15. Dean Gore, 16. Dawson Simpson, 19. Mitch Clark, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Josh Caddy, 24. Jed Bews, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. Cory Gregson, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 31. Jordan Cunico, 32. Steven Motlop, 35. Jarrad Jansen, 37. Michael Luxford, 39. Shane Kersten, 42. Padraig Lucey, 44. Corey Enright, 46. Mark Blicavs.

No Josh Walker? But at least we can hopefully get a good look at a few of the Generation Next.

Which is why all clubs these days insist that the players all have a backup plan. They get advice on investments, they are given talks on health, drugs, etc., they get help choosing post-career careers, they get placement with tradies, if that's what they want to do, or they can study part time- these boys get probably a lot more expert help with their futures than a lot of average parents are able to give their non-footballing kids. And all this advice is free.
It's not free. It's part of their job remuneration. considering that careers in football are only 2 to 12 years as compared to everyone else's whose go for 30 plus and most jobs don't cause lifelong pain as sport careers can it's the least football clubs can do.

GEELONG 2. Billie Smedts, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 5. Nakia Cockatoo, 7. Harry Taylor, 8. Jake Kolodjashnij, 9. James Kelly, 11. Darcy Lang, 12. Sam Blease, 13. Tom Lonergan, 15. Dean Gore, 16. Dawson Simpson, 19. Mitch Clark, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Josh Caddy, 24. Jed Bews, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. Cory Gregson, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 31. Jordan Cunico, 32. Steven Motlop, 35. Jarrad Jansen, 37. Michael Luxford, 39. Shane Kersten, 42. Padraig Lucey, 44. Corey Enright, 46. Mark Blicavs.

No Josh Walker? But at least we can hopefully get a good look at a few of the Generation Next.

some impressive names. A lot of trial and error of course but no doubt we have a handful of future 200 gamers in there somewhere.
I think I read somewhere that we have to travel all around the country during the NAB Challenge? We are one of the only VIC clubs to do so. That may have a lot to do with the need to rotate the squad around during the first couple of weeks.
We do get a handy run to start the season though, quite a few home games in succession.

We are talking about the 20-ish year old rookies, still, aren't we? You wouldn't dream of making that money flipping burgers at Maccas, now, would you?
to put that in perspective, 75K/annum is about what a Registered Nurse with ten years experience makes. So these 19/20 yo footballers are doing pretty well for just being able to kick a ball.

to put that in perspective, 75K/annum is about what a Registered Nurse with ten years experience makes. So these 19/20 yo footballers are doing pretty well for just being able to kick a ball.

It might not be fair , but its relative to the capacity of the business to earn. Experienced Nurse V Rookie Nurse much difference? Ablett V Toohey much difference? The system earn Millions , and as muchI like to see the gun rewarded cause they bring people in , the base line that supporters the structure is the burn of players that earn little. I guess we are better than being a golf pro , but I think we can be better still.
Id have two or three Franchise players where the club pays what it can afford , but if you are drafted at all , any level , the min payment should be the average wage , then games on top of it.

Or half of what a train driver makes.
:eek: Really???
It might not be fair , but its relative to the capacity of the business to earn. Experienced Nurse V Rookie Nurse much difference? Ablett V Toohey much difference? The system earn Millions , and as muchI like to see the gun rewarded cause they bring people in , the base line that supporters the structure is the burn of players that earn little. I guess we are better than being a golf pro , but I think we can be better still.
Id have two or three Franchise players where the club pays what it can afford , but if you are drafted at all , any level , the min payment should be the average wage , then games on top of it.
Different levels of pay according to what, then, Turbo? Years of being in the system (deductions if you don't play, like Cowan, McCarthy, etc.) or bonuses on top of that (rather than deductions) per 25/50 games or something- or increase level of pay by a few thou or something? You'd still need a tiered system or you'd have the Vardys paid the same as the Enrights, otherwise

damn

they say we are gonna have a hot autumn
we wont see cowan till june then?
Summer seems to start in Jan and finish mid April, 'Indian summers'. Sick of summer already, even if we haven't had any heat waves.
Cowan should play NAB 2?

:eek: Really???

Different levels of pay according to what, then, Turbo? Years of being in the system (deductions if you don't play, like Cowan, McCarthy, etc.) or bonuses on top of that (rather than deductions) per 25/50 games or something- or increase level of pay by a few thou or something? You'd still need a tiered system or you'd have the Vardys paid the same as the Enrights, otherwise

I must be a clear as mud , I will try again... but first I'll say we have a convoluted system , a blend of a cap , set amount for Rookies , Y1 and Y2 ....
In a way if it was a pure communist system it would be easier. The comp earns 1B, the player are apportioned 200M , and then a Y1 player gets , a Y10 player gets... in a way you could have all payments coming from the AFL not the club.... but we really don't want that , we want players to aspire to be the best , and then be rewarded for it with a bottom floor that ensures min payment to the group that allows it all to work

So Id have , 2 or 3 Franchise players not in the cap at all..the details of how it would work would need to be worked out but the idea is the best can find the absolute best money , the club has no excuse of cap etc. If a club wants it could play its top players a Million each , it what ever they deem their real worth is.

At the bottom all set contracts start at average wage plus game payments. The game payment may be more for R1 or R2 , Im not sure but the least a contracted player would get is the Average wage.

In the middle you still have 30 odd players who will split up the cap , just as the do now. Some clubs are different to others ...we have a tiered system that is sort of a soft version of the communist system I first mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's easy to see why both parents need to work to get any where these days.

One does forget what some employment opportunities offer in the way of remuneration , some people think life is hard on over 100,000.
For many footballers, their income dramatically drops after footy, and they have to make hay while the sun shines.

I must be a clear as mud , I will try again... but first I'll say we have a convoluted system , a blend of a cap , set amount for Rookies , Y1 and Y2 ....
In a way if it was a pure communist system it would be easier. The comp earns 1B, the player are apportioned 200M , and then a Y1 player gets , a Y10 player gets... in a way you could have all payments coming from the AFL not the club.... but we really don't want that , we want players to aspire to be the best , and then be rewarded for it with a bottom floor that ensures min payment to the group that allows it all to work

So Id have , 2 or 3 Franchise players not in the cap at all..the details of how it would work would need to be worked out but the idea is the best can find the absolute best money , the club has no excuse of cap etc. If a club wants it could play its top players a Million each , it what ever they deem their real worth is.

At the bottom all set contracts start at average wage plus game payments. The game payment may be more for R1 or R2 , Im not sure but the least a contracted player would get is the Average wage.

In the middle you still have 30 odd players who will split up the cap , just as the do now. Some clubs are different to others ...we have a tiered system that is sort of a soft version of the communist system I first mentioned.
Ah- that makes more sense. Sorry, I was thinking you had most of the players lumped on a base wage then getting game payments* on top of that. *presumably more in value for the better players than the 1st year players.
My bad :( The misunderstanding was probably caused by me- not reading your post properly.

Close to the most underpaid profession, nurses. My wife continues to be one after 30 odd years.

For many footballers, their income dramatically drops after footy, and they have to make hay while the sun shines.
That's the same in industries such as mining, where there isn't a job guarantee for so many workers. The metals price drops, hundreds, thousands of workers are put off. Guess there are many others like it but not a lot as volatile.

I agree but I also find it hard to understand why the high earners struggle post footy. Not too many people get a SJ offer in the life time or a Scully or an Ablett etc but even top quality players that have spent years in the system surely they should have a set them selves up. 10 years at average of 250+ , they should have a rosey future.

Does anyone know if there's a superannuation type set up with player contracts these days? Perhaps a percentage of a players pay should be put into a super account to assist financially post-career?

I agree but I also find it hard to understand why the high earners struggle post footy. Not too many people get a SJ offer in the life time or a Scully or an Ablett etc but even top quality players that have spent years in the system surely they should have a set them selves up. 10 years at average of 250+ , they should have a rosey future.
definitely, Turbo. Many of these young lads don't know how to save or invest- which is why the clubs offer financial advice. It's a big rush for these blokes to come from nothing much to high earnings very quickly and money can just burn a hole in their pockets.

Does anyone know if there's a superannuation type set up with player contracts these days? Perhaps a percentage of a players pay should be put into a super account to assist financially post-career?
I think the AFLPA did talk about something like that- heard something like that mentioned last year, I think. will scrounge around and see if I can locate the article.

Here's something relevant, AM

https://secure.ausport.gov.au/__dat...8/524304/AFL-Player-Wellbeing-Report-2011.pdf

and news of a retirement fund from 2012- the AFLPA, that is.
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/e...he-lights-go-out/story-fnjbnts6-1226505582665

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back