Preview AFL NAB Challenge 1 - Gold Coast v Geelong, Tony Ireland Stadium, 3:40PM (local) Sunday 1 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
definitely, Turbo. Many of these young lads don't know how to save or invest- which is why the clubs offer financial advice. It's a big rush for these blokes to come from nothing much to high earnings very quickly and money can just burn a hole in their pockets.

I guess relevant to this thread , how many of the GC players running around will be think they may be able to increase their earning capacity at another club. Some will just get lost up there. For every Kade Kolo who will get the good money from GC I'm sure , there will be others who could be better of moving. Same with GWS. I wonder what WHE would be worth on the open market.

GEELONG 2. Billie Smedts, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 5. Nakia Cockatoo, 7. Harry Taylor, 8. Jake Kolodjashnij, 9. James Kelly, 11. Darcy Lang, 12. Sam Blease, 13. Tom Lonergan, 15. Dean Gore, 16. Dawson Simpson, 19. Mitch Clark, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Josh Caddy, 24. Jed Bews, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. Cory Gregson, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 31. Jordan Cunico, 32. Steven Motlop, 35. Jarrad Jansen, 37. Michael Luxford, 39. Shane Kersten, 42. Padraig Lucey, 44. Corey Enright, 46. Mark Blicavs.

No Josh Walker? But at least we can hopefully get a good look at a few of the Generation Next.
Great to see so many kittens! Also Clark.

Summer seems to start in Jan and finish mid April, 'Indian summers'. Sick of summer already, even if we haven't had any heat waves.
Cowan should play NAB 2?
Me too + the humidity is a killer, which won't help the players.

One does forget what some employment opportunities offer in the way of remuneration , some people think life is hard on over 100,000.
That's what I need to spend on make-up! :p

I agree but I also find it hard to understand why the high earners struggle post footy. Not too many people get a SJ offer in the life time or a Scully or an Ablett etc but even top quality players that have spent years in the system surely they should have a set them selves up. 10 years at average of 250+ , they should have a rosey future.
Because they blow huge $$$ on crap + don't save!

Does anyone know if there's a superannuation type set up with player contracts these days? Perhaps a percentage of a players pay should be put into a super account to assist financially post-career?
Yes, there'd have to be super because they are wage earners + Geelong would have to contribute the employer contribution. Not sure about personal contributions though.

I agree but I also find it hard to understand why the high earners struggle post footy. Not too many people get a SJ offer in the life time or a Scully or an Ablett etc but even top quality players that have spent years in the system surely they should have a set them selves up. 10 years at average of 250+ , they should have a rosey future.
I work with many of these types of players, and they reflect society. Some are savvy, save, invest, set themselves up; others live like there is no tomorrow, lease a $180k car, and don't care about tomorrow. Many have nothing but footy etc. and are not that smart; others are really multi-skilled and realise early on footy is a stepping stone.

I work with many of these types of players, and they reflect society. Some are savvy, save, invest, set themselves up; others live like there is no tomorrow, lease a $180k car, and don't care about tomorrow. Many have nothing but footy etc. and are not that smart; others are really multi-skilled and realise early on footy is a stepping stone.
Ling

For anyone that would like to know... You can use a program called Bluestacks to emulate the android os on your computer. This allows you to install mobile apps on your computer such as afl live.. :)

Wondering If I could get some help setting this up.

I've installed bluestacks.
I've I got logged into google play and installed the AFL live app.
I've subscribed to the 4 week trial for live tv.
but when I try to watch tv it just keeps telling me that I need to activate location services and subcribe to the service.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and was able to resolve it.

Thanks in advance guys, and gals (TC and Squishy)

Cheers,

4QC

Wondering If I could get some help setting this up.

I've installed bluestacks.
I've I got logged into google play and installed the AFL live app.
I've subscribed to the 4 week trial for live tv.
but when I try to watch tv it just keeps telling me that I need to activate location services and subcribe to the service.

I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and was able to resolve it.

Thanks in advance guys, and gals (TC and Squishy)

Cheers,

4QC

Take it to pm's... 4quarter_cat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But without match payments. Put those in and their salary rises considerably

Rookies hardly ever get match payments - they aren't even allowed to play unless they are upgraded because of a long term injury. It is also pretty rare to play more than a couple of games - Blitz is the exception.

Perhaps a lot of salaries look too high when you add 50% (rookies earn about 50k). And if the level of injury that is normal in this sport occurred in any other kind of workplace, it would be shut down.

How about looking at the industry, not just a player you clearly dislike because he is injured. Most posters on these boards get behind injured players, and it's a good thing.

GEELONG 2. Billie Smedts, 3. Jimmy Bartel, 4. Andrew Mackie, 5. Nakia Cockatoo, 7. Harry Taylor, 8. Jake Kolodjashnij, 9. James Kelly, 11. Darcy Lang, 12. Sam Blease, 13. Tom Lonergan, 15. Dean Gore, 16. Dawson Simpson, 19. Mitch Clark, 21. Jordan Murdoch, 22. Mitch Duncan, 23. Josh Caddy, 24. Jed Bews, 26. Tom Hawkins, 27. Mathew Stokes, 28. Cory Gregson, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 31. Jordan Cunico, 32. Steven Motlop, 35. Jarrad Jansen, 37. Michael Luxford, 39. Shane Kersten, 42. Padraig Lucey, 44. Corey Enright, 46. Mark Blicavs.

No Josh Walker? But at least we can hopefully get a good look at a few of the Generation Next.
Considering where it is being played I doubt I'll be too fussed about the result, rather I'm more looking forward to seeing a number of these guys.

I've got a soft spot for Lang so I'll be watching out for him along with the 2014 draftees, especially Gore and Cunico.

Obviously interested in what Clark does first up but considering his time out of footy my expectations aren't real high this early on.

Hopefully we see some promising signs and come away with no major injuries. Seeing Liberatore go down this afternoon was sobering.

Good thing Selwood isn't playing this weekend. o_O

Looks like 2014 Best & Fairest winners for West Coast and Bulldogs have done their ACL's.
Yikes.

Good thing Selwood isn't playing this weekend. o_O

Looks like 2014 Best & Fairest winners for West Coast and Bulldogs have done their ACL's.
Yikes.
:eek:
Someone posted an afl medical report not long ago and I eyeballed a bit of it. Apparently ACLs are more common in the warmer months than in winter and that observation also applies to sports other than footy. :(

That an Australian study ? I mean some summers overseas equal our winter
Yes it was, Turbo- specific to AFL with mention of soccer played in warmer European countries vs cooler countries.
Apparently there is a slightly higher incidence of ACL injury in northern AFL teams vs southern teams
http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/..._AFL/Multicultural/2013_AFL_Injury_Report.pdf

Info is down toward the end of this report. Page 19
My memory is poor- I thought it was warmer "months" not warmer "states".

Last edited:
Yes it was, Turbo- specific to AFL with mention of soccer played in warmer European countries vs cooler countries.
Apparently there is a slightly higher incidence of ACL injury in northern AFL teams vs southern teams
http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/..._AFL/Multicultural/2013_AFL_Injury_Report.pdf

Info is down toward the end of this report. Page 19
My memory is poor- I thought it was warmer "months" not warmer "states".

Put together with the fact that eight of last year's NAB 1 team are now gone, this info on ACLs implies we should be calling this team "The Expendables"?

:D
Hopefully they will show us that they are "The Incredibles!"

That would be nice. Team actually looks like a bolder set of choices than last year, perhaps Nakia's obvious footy self-confidence is making other draftees like Gore feel like they have a real shot at making the team rather than accepting the 'bide your time' mantra. Great to see Hammer getting a few touches for the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back