Review AFL NAB Challenge 3 - Geelong defeats Carlton by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm surprised you have jumped on the Walker band wagon this early David,but Kersten and to a lesser degree Murdoch sure left the gate open.

No more surprised than me…I haven't been a Walker fan. But as you point out, the door is open for him, and his VFL performance was eye catching apparently…..and his rivals have fallen away.

Sometimes you gotta go with the flow YPO…poetic hey?

OK mete..ah , 63 - that was a very good year

Interestingly a modified version of that "simplistic mark kick game" is exactly what we need with two genuine power forwards now - but being a student of the game and excellent judge of ability you would already realise that :)
This made me lol! :D

Yes BlightysCats , couldn't agree more - defenders will s**t themselves being isolated 1 : 1 with either of these two.

We have the potential to be a very high scoring side provided our forwardline strategy changes from 2014 - we need to be more direct at times but also provide more options around the 40M mark to spread the defence - Lang , Nakia, Duncan or Motlop could assist here
It's one of the reasons I would play SJ more forward as he's the most adept at finding space - although I concede he's needed in the middle now - come on down - Cowan , Gore or Jansen :thumbsu:
Rotate SJ in the forward line with Stokesy? It'll keep them fresh :)

I can see why the boys handpass in the backline as if there's going to be a rule change which will abolish handpasses but I get cheesed off when I see the little dinky HPs in the forward line to a contest when the ball should've just been kicked through the big sticks. :mad:
Just KTFT!!!

Any ideas who we play on Cyril in round 1? Bews perhaps when he's forward and Guthrie when he's in the middle? Bews did a pretty good job on the weekend.

Any ideas who we play on Cyril in round 1? Bews perhaps when he's forward and Guthrie when he's in the middle? Bews did a pretty good job on the weekend.
I'd go with Enright as per usual. If it ain't broke don't fix it!

If the pre-season is anything to go by, Bews will take their best small/medium forward which is Breust. He'll be beaten but it will be a good step in his education.
Speak for yourself mate! :D

But yes Breust is probably his likely opponent, although Mackie has done quite well on him in the past so they may want to keep that match up the same aswell.

But yes Breust is probably his likely opponent, although Mackie has done quite well on him in the past so they may want to keep that match up the same aswell.
I would like to see Mackie tried on Gunston who has troubled Lonergan and Rivers recently. But then who do those two and Taylor play on in addition to Roughead?

I wouldn't be so sure he will be beaten.. after a slow start bews carved up betts a couple of weeks back, he is one of the best smalls forwards going around. Reckon we have got a real good small defender in jed

I wouldn't be so sure he will be beaten.. after a slow start bews carved up betts a couple of weeks back, he is one of the best smalls forwards going around. Reckon we have got a real good small defender in jed
I agree 100%. I thought he did well on Menzel on the wknd aswell.

I would like to see Mackie tried on Gunston who has troubled Lonergan and Rivers recently. But then who do those two and Taylor play on in addition to Roughead?
Hawthorn probably rotate their forwards/mids more than any other team so I think that match ups will change alot throughout the game but this is generally what I'd like to see:

Puopolo Roughead Hale/Ceglar
Mackie Taylor Lonergan
Rioli Gunston Breust
Enright Rivers Bews

I'd prefer to see Mackie on a less dangerous forward and give Bews a tough job and see how he goes. We need to start putting some faith into these young blokes and handing them some responsibility. If it's not working they can always make the switch.

I'd back Rivers in against Gunston, but again if it's not working then one of Mackie or Lonergan could be moved onto him.

I actually think that we match up on them quite well! Even when they smashed us in general play in the QF last year they still only scored 104 points against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonergan onto Hale, Taylor onto Roughead which leaves Rivers taking Gunston and that's the worry because Rivers is no chance at keeping Gunston in check. He's far too nimble/athletic for Rivers.
Rivers has been exploited the last few years by Clarkson. I remember in the 2013 Prelim Rivers was on Hale for a 10 minute period and Hale carved us up. If we're going to play Blicavs why don't we try to play him on either Hale or Roughhead in a stopping role to free up Taylor or Rivers.

Gunston is a really smart player. Too smart for Blitz. Too nimble for Rivers. Need a new plan for him because he is burning us.
Unless we play Clark in the ruck during the times when Mcintosh has a break, and leave Blitz to just double up Gunston. Or we just do what we've done in the last few games except this time back ourselves to outscore Hawthorn with our new look forward structure.

Last edited:
Puopolo Roughead Hale/Ceglar
Mackie Taylor Lonergan
Rioli Gunston Breust
Enright Rivers Bews

I'd prefer to see Mackie on a less dangerous forward and give Bews a tough job and see how he goes. We need to start putting some faith into these young blokes and handing them some responsibility. If it's not working they can always make the switch.

Agree with this. Bews is absolutely ready to go. He has a defender's attitude and shows all the right signs. Now he just needs some tougher jobs to improve his experience on the better players. He was pretty strong yesterday, made some mistakes for sure, but also was unlucky when he was beaten in the 1-1.

Hopefully he plays every game this season.

Agree with this. Bews is absolutely ready to go. He has a defender's attitude and shows all the right signs. Now he just needs some tougher jobs to improve his experience on the better players. He was pretty strong yesterday, made some mistakes for sure, but also was unlucky when he was beaten in the 1-1.

Hopefully he plays every game this season.
You mean when Menzel clearly had both of his hands resting on his back? :straining:

That was a terrible non decision by the umpire... And he was right bloody there in the perfect position aswell! :mad:

In our last few games Lonergan has gone to Gunston and generally does a good job on him
Taylor goes to Roughead
Rivers to the resting ruckman

I'd put Bews on Rioli
Enright goes to Bruest
Mackie on whoever else goes through there.

In our last few games Lonergan has gone to Gunston and generally does a good job on him
Taylor goes to Roughead

I'd put Bews on Rioli
Enright goes to Bruest

Well if Blitz is to work down back , could use him on the resting ruck?

In the end both forwardline are good enough to get it done if given enough ball. We can not let it pour out of the centre like a flood. The great thing about these games is Hawks believe they can beat anyone playing their game..its give other a chance

Well if Blitz is to work down back , could use him on the resting ruck?

In the end both forwardline are good enough to get it done if given enough ball. We can not let it pour out of the centre like a flood. The great thing about these games is Hawks believe they can beat anyone playing their game..its give other a chance

Can see him spending some time down back but not a lot, we already have three key defenders and half of the game there won't even be a ruckman "resting" forward. Hawthorn generally don't play tall up forward they love creating space for a quick rebound. When he isn't rucking he'll be running around on the empty wing providing an option.

The midfield battle is crucial, we can match most teams even when we lose in the middle, Hawthorn isn't one of them

Taylor goes to Roughead

I'd put Bews on Rioli
Enright goes to Bruest
Under those match ups Gunston is good for 3-4 and Hale 2-3.

Need to try something different IMO. Can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Under those match ups Gunston is good for 3-4 and Hale 2-3.

Need to try something different IMO. Can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

Which is fine because Hawkins and Clark will get 9 between them.

But seriously I don't see any other set up as being better(short of trying something crazy and could go horribly like sending Bews to Gunston), it the reason we use it in the first place, what do you suggest?

Which is fine because Hawkins and Clark will get 9 between them.

But seriously I don't see any other set up as being better(short of trying something crazy and could go horribly like sending Bews to Gunston), it the reason we use it in the first place, what do you suggest?
Lonergan/Blicavs - Hale
Mackie - Gunston
Taylor - Roughead
Bews - Breust
Enright - Puopolo/Rioli
Rivers - ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back