Review AFL NAB Challenge 3 - Geelong defeats Carlton by 19 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I've already said this re: Blicavs endurance. If he has such a huge tank he should be alone in the forward 50 on transition late in games having burnt his opponent by running back and forward all game with his so called vastly superior endurance but I never see it happen. So why doesn't it? I can only come to one conclusion and that is he doesn't have the footy brain to realise when or how to use his 'talents' to his and the teams best advantage. I think he's an athlete not a footballer.

Sounds like super Mario Nintendo meets the under fives.
He's got a role (s) and that's not it.

Give it up, there's 17 other teams licking their chops
at our luck, and would take him (and his errors) in a heartbeat.

Lonergan/Blicavs - Hale
Mackie - Gunston
Taylor - Roughead
Bews - Breust
Enright - Puopolo/Rioli
Rivers - ???

In our last game against Hawthorn
Hale played 84% game time and Ceglar played 78% game time, meaning for at least 38% game time they had no resting ruck forward.
At the moment you have Rivers lose in defense which is why he generally takes the resting ruck. What is lonergan doing for that 3rd of the game he doesn't have an appropriately sized opponent.

Can see him spending some time down back but not a lot, we already have three key defenders and half of the game there won't even be a ruckman "resting" forward. Hawthorn generally don't play tall up forward they love creating space for a quick rebound. When he isn't rucking he'll be running around on the empty wing providing an option.

The midfield battle is crucial, we can match most teams even when we lose in the middle, Hawthorn isn't one of them
We won the clearances last year in all of our games against the Hawks, 10lana. The only time we won the hitouts, though, was when Simpson and HMac were rucking together.
I guess it comes down to the quality of the clearances.

Hale is always a headache for us. Don't know how he manages to free himself up to present down in the forward line. He's kicked 10 goals in his last 6 outings against us :(

Sounds like super Mario Nintendo meets the under fives.
He's got a role (s) and that's not it.

Give it up, there's 17 other teams licking their chops
at our luck, and would take him (and his errors) in a heartbeat.
Doubt it, they might take him but he wouldn't be in the best 22 of Freo, Sydney, North, or Hawthorn. Watch modern footy there's a little thing called transition which is pretty much teams creating space forward of the ball by flooding their defence then sprinting forward in to that space, then if they happen to score a point or turn it over the opposition team moves the ball with speed the other way, BLicavs should be burning his opponent especially late in games on transition as he has so much endurance and his opponents should be buggered. Interestingly enough Inside Footballs comment on his round 9 game against Freo last year confirms what I'm saying. That number 3 is his score out of ten for the game.
Frem: Next phase of development is to use endurance to find ball in space. 3
He averaged a rating of 4.2 out of 10 for his 2014 season from the inside football team. Seems I'm not the only one who thinks he struggles, but I'm sure you know more than me and those guys - Play it Sam. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
In our last game against Hawthorn
Hale played 84% game time and Ceglar played 78% game time, meaning for at least 38% game time they had no resting ruck forward.
At the moment you have Rivers lose in defense which is why he generally takes the resting ruck. What is lonergan doing for that 3rd of the game he doesn't have an appropriately sized opponent.
This is the structural problem you face when you insist on playing so many tall defenders.

Rivers has been troubled by Hale recently. Can't go there again. They will try to make him the plus one.

Rivers has been exploited the last few years by Clarkson. I remember in the 2013 Prelim Rivers was on Hale for a 10 minute period and Hale carved us up. If we're going to play Blicavs why don't we try to play him on either Hale or Roughhead in a stopping role to free up Taylor or Rivers.
Rivers was underdone in 2013.. he was one of our better players in the final against them last year

Rivers was underdone in 2013.. he was one of our better players in the final against them last year
Yeah I'm not bashing Rivers, just saying Clark likes to try to exploit his lack of height compared with Taylor or Lonergan.

Doubt it, they might take him but he wouldn't be in the best 22 of Freo, Sydney, North, or Hawthorn. Watch modern footy there's a little thing called transition which is pretty much teams creating space forward of the ball by flooding their defence then sprinting forward in to that space, then if they happen to score a point or turn it over the opposition team moves the ball with speed the other way, BLicavs should be burning his opponent especially late in games on transition as he has so much endurance and his opponents should be buggered. Interestingly enough Inside Footballs comment on his round 9 game against Freo last year confirms what I'm saying. That number 3 is his score out of ten for the game.
Frem: Next phase of development is to use endurance to find ball in space. 3
He averaged a rating of 4.2 out of 10 for his 2014 season from the inside football team. Seems I'm not the only one who thinks he struggles, but I'm sure you know more than me and those guys - Play it Sam. :rolleyes:

We do have some legendary statisticians on board here my friend, as you will see.
I'd rather trust them, but in the name of education, just who is on the rating panel of
the Inside Football magazine/subscription website?

I'm guessing it's not Chris Scott and our MC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got to actually attend today. And loved a lot of what I saw.

• Hawkins. Is the premier forward in the AFL. His strength and nous is just next level. If we can start winning it out of the middle and get it in quickly, he is going to cause some key defenders to have sleepless nights.
  • Clark. He is going to be the best 2nd banana the AFL has seen since Dermie was Dunstall's. He's a star. At just about any other club he'd be the first pea in the pod. Could easily kick 60 as a 2nd target.
  • Bartel. He could win a Carji playing in the center all year. He is a champion. Just so. dam. good

• Kelly. Look sharp and fit. Exciting to think of the depth he will provide our midfield
  • Guthrie. He was hard. He was fast and he is good.
  • Duncan. Pure class. Looks a lot stronger. He is classy, and kicks goals as a mid. Those guys are worth their weight in gold.
  • Simpson. His first half in particular was very good. They will continue smashing km's into his legs. His direction of his taps at times was sensational. He started getting around the ground and again i'll repeat. For a bloke who had back surgery in October, he is tracking nicely. He will play as much as possibe, they are gonna just smash games, kms and experience into him. Its make or break for him, so he will get played, and with game time will come confidence and fittness. Im excited for him, and out onballers. Look at our clearance stats at half time. Without seeing them, Ill bet we were in front - and thats Dawson.
  • Blicavs. He is going to end up a 200 game great of this club. His improvement over 3 years has been exponential. He is getting big across his body yet has not lost his ability to cover turf. He is starting to mark, goal, man he is a player. He'll play a bunch of spots this year and will do well. He's a jet.
  • Rivers. Just so good, reliable and solid. He must give Taylor such peace to be able to chase the ball more.
  • Lang. He might not have had a heap of it, but he has intent, intensity and he is smart, and hard as a cats head. I really hope he plays round one.
  • Cockatoo. May have only had it a handful of times, but that run through the middle shows why he has to play. He gives us game breaking plays, and like all gun footballers, he has the ability to be held quiet all day, but then do something that wins you a match. Thats innate, and cant be taught.
  • Selwood. He is so good my mind cant comprehend it.
DISAPPOINTMENTS.....

• Murdoch. Is either injured, horribly out of form or foxing. He was ******* shithhouse. And has been for a month. He will play round one, because he is unique with his size and pace. **** he needs to lift.
  • GHS. Its not his fault. He just isnt up to it. He isnt big bodied enough to be an inside bull. He lacks pace so is constantly under the pump. He really is a forward flanker in old language. He's not a mid. I hope they play him in a pocket and let him be a "David Cameron" type player. Cos thats what he brings. He might only get 5 kicks but will kick 3 goals. Job done. He's just not a mid.
  • Caddy. He needs to elevate to Duncan/Guthrie levels. Has to. Right now he isnt.
^^^ deserves to be read again + again, so I'm bumping it!

CMIA thanks for such a positive, yet objective summary of the game, your enthusiasm is contagious + your reasoning rational + logical - there is not one point to disagree with + you balanced the negatives with good positive explanations - this post is my ideal! POTGameReview! Just a joy to read + 20 'Likes', well done CMIA superb work!

Ill bet you anything you like that he plays 200 games. (unless he has a Menzel type of situation) Go watch todays game and then watch his first 10. His improvement has been like nothing ive seen. He is 6 foot 8 and has wheels. He can mark. He can kick. He is amazing below his knees. Spend some time actually watching him man. And then look at his improvement, and understand he is yet to plateau. He is a freak.
Exactly! He's on a huge learning curve - rucking, defence + this year he's to play more in the middle, what next? Blitz is relishing every opportunity + every challenge, just always rising for more. Look at this superb mark -

NAB+Challenge+Carlton+v+Geelong+RpinBCXYFYdl.jpg

Exactly! He's on a huge learning curve - rucking, defence + this year he's to play more in the middle, what next? Blitz is relishing every opportunity + every challenge, just always rising for more. Look at this superb mark -

NAB+Challenge+Carlton+v+Geelong+RpinBCXYFYdl.jpg

I believe this mark was the result of a ridiculous right-angled banana/checkside from the centre circle out of the corner of his eye by one S.Johnson.

P.S. Hi all, been a while. :)

I believe this mark was the result of a ridiculous right-angled banana/checkside from the centre circle out of the corner of his eye by one S.Johnson.

P.S. Hi all, been a while. :)
Yay hbk! Welcome back - it's a good mark by Blitz.

We do have some legendary statisticians on board here my friend, as you will see.
I'd rather trust them, but in the name of education, just who is on the rating panel of
the Inside Football magazine/subscription website?

I'm guessing it's not Chris Scott and our MC.
I agree it's definitely not Chris Scott and our MC. I've already posted stats back in this thread from Footywire on Blicavs 2014 season, I'll tell you one thing they didn't help your case, or Blicavs case very much at all. But he'll definitely be playing round 1 and I just hope we win, and he plays really well. I hate the piss and poo's and would love to see us destroy the unveiling of their 2014 flag by towelling them on our way to the 2015 flag.

You may be right. Simpson and McIntosh did work well together in the Easter Monday game last year though. In the last 5 games we have played Hawthorn we have only won two. Simpson has only played 2 of those 5 games and you can guess which ones. We need to win the hit outs against Hawthorn and having Simpson and McIntosh play dual ruck gives us the best chance.

Blicavs is the non risky option because of his versatility and endurance. But I think against Hawthorn we have take a risk and go for broke.
We have Clark now, which changes our strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back