Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would.

Likelihood of him playing a senior game would be low in 2016 with the strength of our midfield and he would benefit more from a year in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL if he went down that path while still getting paid (while yes, not as much as he would on a Senior AFL List) rather than the NEAFL. He still would be selected by the Swans in the National Draft and more than likely in the 1st Round still as a Father Son selection.

The comments coming out of the club are both tokenistic and reserved. How do we as a supporter base try and impact on this decision with any momentum, without the club encouraging and enabling us to do so? My anger is sill simmering, but over the last few days my disenchantment is starting to spread to the club for being so reticent and passive.

I know deep down they care about it as much as us and our 30 pages worth of hysterical panic, disbelief and seething anger. Nevertheless, they need to prove it to our 40 000 strong members who pay good money to watch the team perform under the expectation that they've been given a fair chance to perform. If they don't take this up with vigor, how can I be comfortable with reinvesting in their cause both financially and emotionally?

The football club has always had this problem of being a bit distant from the supporter base, but on an issue like this when we are being marginalised and mistreated, I feel like we need to be brought into the fold. What would it cost the PR team to send short reassuring email? I'm disappointed to be honest.

Seriously guys, I keep hanging off the news feed waiting for our federal court case to be announced. :(:cry: Apparently that's a thing... :drunk:

Last edited:
The comments coming out of the club are both tokenistic and reserved. How do we as a supporter base try and impact on this decision with any momentum, without the club encouraging and enabling us to do so? My anger is sill simmering, but over the last few days my disenchantment is starting to spread to the club for being so reticent and passive.

I know deep down they care about it as much as us and our 30 pages worth of hysterical panic, disbelief and seething anger. Nevertheless, they need to prove it to our 40 000 strong members who pay good money to watch the team perform under the expectation that they've been given a fair chance to perform. If they don't take this up with vigor, how can I be comfortable with reinvesting in their cause both financially and emotionally?

The football club has always had this problem of being a bit distant from the supporter base, but on an issue like this when we are being marginalised and mistreated, I feel like we need to be brought into the fold. What would it cost the PR team to send short reassuring email? I'm disappointed to be honest.

Seriously guys, I keep hanging off the news feed waiting for our federal court case to be announced. :(:cry: Apparently that's a thing... :drunk:

Maybe the situation is a lot more complicated than we know mate? maybe we did a deal? i mean honestly this is a competition where James Hird can still walk into a AFL club.

* me if thats possible anything is bottomline is we just dont know, in the past week we have had Pridham strongly voicing his disappointment, Ireland going on radio outraged and now Longmire with some strong statements "we have a idea where this is coming from" that's all that you can do on a public front.

We are all angry, bemused and frustrated mate but you cant be serious with issuing a legal challenge right?

Lets just wait and see what happens away from public ok? :)

Maybe the situation is a lot more complicated than we know mate? maybe we did a deal? i mean honestly this is a competition where James Hird can still walk into a AFL club.

**** me if thats possible anything is bottomline is we just dont know, in the past week we have had Pridham strongly voicing his disappointment, Ireland going on radio outraged and now Longmire with some strong statements "we have a idea where this is coming from" that's all that you can do on a public front.

We are all angry, bemused and frustrated mate but you cant be serious with issuing a legal challenge right?

Lets just wait and see what happens away from public ok? :)

Sorry, was just taking the piss - didn't realise that wasn't clear!

I don't expect to be privy to the clubs private discussions, but I think a degree of reassurance that they will fight hard wouldn't cost them too much. I'd prefer to keep this at the forefront of the news cycle than be relegated to the 'not interesting enough to care' pile.

Indeed the relative silence on both sides of the argument is a little disconcerting. The AFL haven't gone out of their way to speak about the matter, but this follows form - they never did defend our use of COLA and any other accusations thrown our way over the past 2 years. The Swans on the other hand have been, by their standards, particularly vigorous this year. Think of the Peter Gordon incident.

Reverting back to the 'sense-speaking bigger man approach' doesn't seem nearly as effective as bludgeoning them across the forehead, especially when one considers how successful certain members of the AFL fraternity were in bleating until they got their way with COLA.

Last edited:

I agree. A monkey once told me the importance of communication.

The clubs hands are tied and they'll be (presumably) further punished if they incite fans. Fans, however, can incite fellow fans and fans of other clubs to protest the AFL's stance in the most vigorous of ways.

Come on guys/girls. We're not toothless Pies supporters. Let's come up with creative ways to get back at the AFL.

I've decided my own personal protest.

Won't watch any AFL or AFL shows on tele, won't click an AFL articles.

will attend home games (not finals) and buy club gear (hurt the code, not the club)

Already convinced my family and a bunch of mates to cancel foxtel and sight: "foxtel provides fund's to the current AFL administration, I will not support any organisation that provides income streams to the AFL for as long as Mike Fitzpatrick remains, chairman of the AFL. this is due to his governance of many issues, above all the essendon drug scandel and the Swans trading ban."

so far 13 fox account's in total. all of us have also cancelled our season passes to telstra. (wish we could sight why) also convinced 5 of them who weren't planning to, to purchase an NRL telstra season passes even if they won't watch the sport.

time to hit the AFL where it hurt's, Not just denying them fund's but giving it directly to a rival.
When membership renewal's come up i'm cancelling my grand final preference on the grounds the club makes no money from finals tickets.

this will still give some funds to the AFL but drastically less to the companies that make money through AFL media rights, while having minimal impact on the club.

the code's decided they only care about the media rights dollar so that's where we hit them.
plus if viewers drop enough it my give us more arvo games. :p

It's the principal. I don't expect it to sway them.
But it will be brought to their attention.

I love footy, i love swans. But the AFL?, I get the older generation love it especially those saw it transition from the VFL. (dad's one of the only people not onboard)
as i said this is a personal protest, i'd love other people to support it, but if they don't that's fine i understand. But unlike my dad i hold no such allegiance. I grew up in Sydney in the 90's I have no attachment to the nostalgia of the league. I watch old 70's and 80's games and look at my dad like he's insane most of the games were rubbish skill wise and had almost no defensive measure.

This has probably building within me for along and this s**t has pushed me over the top, as far as i'm concerned AFL can go * itself. every other club can go * themselves as well. I don't care about any of them.

But i do care about the sport, theirs no point trying to get the AFL those running the AFL to change their mind. we need to change who's running the AFL. because if we don't, if we continue down the route where the AFL is run to suit the agenda's of a few clubs based in melbourne. I fear for the sport in the long. sure it won't go anywhere in "the football states"

But up here? I've never seen such disenchantment. My local has been an AFL live sight for 8 year's. Publican is walking away from it. what many people don't get is that in Sydney theirs more then just the AFL. there's many sports, many options besides sports and If one sport pisses people off they will focus on it less and less until they walk away. the Club will not survive without a Sydney base.

are these people i'm talking about casual supporters? yes, but today's casual's are tomorrows diehards. we lose them, the club has no future. When I was young i saw crowds so terrible it's likely the few thousand reported were inflated figures.

Diehard fan's can't save a club. it didn't save us in 81, didn't save us in 93. We sat through the pouring rain to watch the team get the s**t kicked out of it for years on end and in the end it didn't matter because ALL WE HAD WERE THE DIEHARDS!

If the casual's walk away, we're ****ed and believe me if the AFL continues down this path, As it becomes bigger and get's more exposure these sort of ****ed decision get more publicity.

means the casual's become more aware of what's going on, And if they don't like what's going on they leave. It's for this reason I'm doing this not just out of my disdain for this league calling for senate inquiry's because Melbourne based club's are s**t. Not just because of rapist being protected time and time again. Not just because an SA club received bigger sanctions for one dodgy contract, Than a club involved in match fixing for draft pic's. Not just because a team is involved in PED's continues to play each ******* round. Not just because my club is scrutinised over every ******* trade while one of the bigger club's playing off in grand finals keeps getting big names and it doesn't even raise an eyebrow. and not just because my teams now been sanction for following the ******* rules!

It's all of these things and more. What casual supporter would follow the AFL when it's run like this?
It takes time before trends start showing casual's are leaving. I want something done keep this AFL administration and the AFL will lose Sydney. and if that happens OUR CLUB if ****ed.

Can i change any of this? probably not.
But I can make people hear me even if they don't listen. and if means hurting the AFL financial to make them realise the people running the game are sooo ******* wrong they risk ******* the sport as a whole. Then you bet your arse i'll do it.

Think it can't happen look at rugby union. It was once viable competitor to league. Today only North shore people and people from countries where ruby is still viable follow it.

without looking it up name 3 people associated with rugby that haven't been poached from league? you can't! because the Code was run by self interest from certain club's and group's. The result? casual's walked away and now it's dying a slow and painful death.

perhaps this is just to appease Fat C and Co. Make it look like they're playing hardline with the Swans but in reality the Swans couldn't do much this year in trading for established players with their tight salary cap. Once the heat dies down and the middle of '15 season that clause will quietly be revoked and Swans will keep their academy choices. another conspiracy theory but yeah the silence is deafening from the AFL - usually means they're trying to be clever with a dud hand.

I like making a personal statement too. I unliked the AFL page on Facebook, unsubscribed on YouTube, was planning on getting Fox Footy - not anymore.

It might not make any difference, but it is the principle of the thing. Like the time I was travelling through China with my folks, dad got mad at me cuz I ordered a Japanese beer. "Don't you know what they did in the war, still refuse to apologise and totally whitewash the history they teach in their schools etc etc"

Of course they've got a Honda sitting in the garage, so you know, whatever dad...

I've said once and I'll say it again - if the system changes the club MUST get into the ear of Josh Dunkley and request that he NOT nominate for the 2015 National Draft and stay out of the AFL system for a year until the 2016 National Draft. Mills we only get the chance to draft once via bidding with no delay. But F/S rights can be delayed until Josh Dunkley nominates for the National Draft, which would protect us in many way and stick two fingers up at many at the AFL and at a certain club.

Dunkley can do a Wyngard - the club would need to not nominate him as a father son and then he would need to say to every club I only want to play for the Swans and if you draft me I will leave after two years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cancelled my Foxtel today. Made it very clear it was due to their year long persecution of my team. A drop in the bucket? Sure. But They allowed McChin free reign to deliberately and systematically damage our brand at every opportunity above and beyond realistic commentary. Stuff them.

Me too. I feel clean.
Cancelled my Foxtel today. Made it very clear it was due to their year long persecution of my team. A drop in the bucket? Sure. But They allowed McChin free reign to deliberately and systematically damage our brand at every opportunity above and beyond realistic commentary. Stuff them.

Big cheer to those turning their principles into action, however small and insignificant. Drain the lake one drop at a time.

I can't do much from the UK other than I decided not to get an AFL subscription for live games overseas (I'll continue to watch delayed downloads stripped of advertising) but I can still take my hat off to those who love their team so much they are prepared to make personal sacrifices.

Well done.

Big cheer to those turning their principles into action, however small and insignificant. Drain the lake one drop at a time.

I can't do much from the UK other than I decided not to get an AFL subscription for live games overseas (I'll continue to watch delayed downloads stripped of advertising) but I can still take my hat off to those who love their team so much they are prepared to make personal sacrifices.

Well done.
Or they are just from the bandwagon mob, who's hearts are not really in it

So I created a twitter account purely to try and raise some interest in the petition, but didn't get much interest. I did get a response from Voss though, who I thanked for speaking up in his article.

"well goodluck. It is a decision that should be reviewed immediately and hope it receives a wave of support that compels change".

Respect Voss, you're one of the good ones.

So I created a twitter account purely to try and raise some interest in the petition, but didn't get much interest. I did get a response from Voss though, who I thanked for speaking up in his article.

"well goodluck. It is a decision that should be reviewed immediately and hope it receives a wave of support that compels change".

Respect Voss, you're one of the good ones.

I clicked the link there are 800+ signatures. Not too shabby.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back