Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

I clicked the link there are 800+ signatures. Not too shabby.
Sorry I should have been more specific, I was just tweeting at journos etc and not getting any interest. Almost 900 sigs in under a week is a great effort I reckon.

Or they are just from the bandwagon mob, who's hearts are not really in it
Read SydneyBlood's post. The newer supporters are indeed the ones likely to swing away the most and that's where the AFL can be most hurt. It's not that their hearts aren't in it, they've just not been so conditioned to decades of vested interests from the former VFL running the show from Melbourne and calling itself a national competition (even as it manipulates that competition entirely to its own interests and in that respect it is neither national nor a competition) that they fail to see the true nature of the beast. The VFL was always a corrupt organisation and naming it the AFL has changed nothing. Perhaps newer fans are a bit more reluctant to swallow all the s**t about history, tradition etc. The reality has always been that success of clubs in the VFL/AFL has often been closely correlated with the influence that the club wields at that period of time.

That doesn't mean that long term supporters aren't willing to do anything but I'm full of praise for anyone doing anything at all, no matter how small, to push back against the AFL Buggernaught.

Read SydneyBlood's post. The newer supporters are indeed the ones likely to swing away the most and that's where the AFL can be most hurt. It's not that their hearts aren't in it, they've just not been so conditioned to decades of vested interests from the former VFL running the show from Melbourne and calling itself a national competition (even as it manipulates that competition entirely to its own interests and in that respect it is neither national nor a competition) that they fail to see the true nature of the beast. The VFL was always a corrupt organisation and naming it the AFL has changed nothing. Perhaps newer fans are a bit more reluctant to swallow all the s**t about history, tradition etc. The reality has always been that success of clubs in the VFL/AFL has often been closely correlated with the influence that the club wields at that period of time.

That doesn't mean that long term supporters aren't willing to do anything but I'm full of praise for anyone doing anything at all, no matter how small, to push back against the AFL Buggernaught.
It wont do a thing not getting say fox footy

It wont do a thing not getting say fox footy

While boycotting different associate partners of the AFL may indeed achieve nothing apart from help said person feel better about having made a stance, simply sitting back and doing nothing will surely achieve nothing.

Maybe we can all start a thread on a sub-board of an AFL website Bedford.
That'll teach 'em!!

Probably not, but if enough do it and Fox are told why they may eventually take notice
The AFL is all about money. And that means having a product to sell. Foxtel is one of the major buyers. If they are getting less money for their product they will arc up. There needs to be enough customers telling them they will no longer buy for it to have an effect,, but it is the only way to impact the corrupt AFL administration. There are some formulae for what proportion of disgruntled customers actually make a written complaint. So if 900 people make a complaint, there is something like 9000 who are disgruntled but not formally expressing it (can't remember the figures exactly).

I wouldn't concern myself too much folks. Have faith in our club to get the best out of themselves from administrators to players. All we have to do as a club is keep our same high consistent standards as it is staying a consistent club on & off field is that
a) gives us repetitive chances at finishing top 4 &
b) gives us a greater chance of striking for a p'ship.

Being a consistent team is important in a fixed competition where the AFL would like all teams to have a turn at striking for the ultimate.
As I've mentioned before, the Swans, Hawks & Cats have won 8 of the last 10 p'ships & one or both of these teams have played in 9 of the last 10 GFs.
That is a damning statistic that proves that consistency is the ultimate weapon.

While other teams are having issues here & there within their clubs we are holding steady. When we won the flag in 2012, we weren't necessarily a better team than in 2011, it's just that we held our ground while other so called favourites were sliding down the ladder & others were building but not yet ready to strike for a flag.

We lost the 2014 flag to the Hawks because our youngest & less experienced players weren't quite ready for the big time compared to the Hawks youngsters.

This won't stop us getting to where we need to get. Players that want out will want out. Mal left because he obviously didn't have that burning desire to strike for another p'ship. The extra year & security is only fantastic when you have a p'ship under your belt.
Good luck to him.
Josh Kennedy loves our club. You can tell by the way he speaks about us after each B & F. He feels indebted to the club for giving him the opportunity. He still has the hunger. Look at the ROK B & F speech. The guy is devastated that he can't keep playing but I'm sure as time goes by, he will realise just how loved he was by us & most importantly, how much he loves the club for giving him the opportunity to be the legend of an AFL club that he is.

We are a much stronger club behind closed doors than we have ever been, so much so that it rubs off on players that have had big careers elsewhere.
Buddy comes to mind. By the time Buddy is finished, I have no doubt that when he is a 50YO, he will reflect on his time as a Swan as more satisfying than his time as a Hawk. That is how much I believe in the culture of our club & we will continue to make the Sydney Swans a destination club for those players that may be very talented, but that just want a stable & consistent lifestyle away from footy.

Let's just tap into our strengths & stop worrying about cutting our Foxtel subscription or cutting this or that to punish the AFL.
That is the worst thing you can do.
Although not attending the GWS home games against us is a brilliant idea!

Go the Bloods!

I wouldn't concern myself too much folks. Have faith in our club to get the best out of themselves from administrators to players. All we have to do as a club is keep our same high consistent standards as it is staying a consistent club on & off field is that

Being a consistent team is important in a fixed competition where the AFL would like all teams to have a turn at striking for the ultimate.
As I've mentioned before, the Swans, Hawks & Cats have won 8 of the last 10 p'ships & one or both of these teams have played in 9 of the last 10 GFs.
That is a damning statistic that proves that consistency is the ultimate weapon.

While other teams are having issues here & there within their clubs we are holding steady. When we won the flag in 2012, we weren't necessarily a better team than in 2011, it's just that we held our ground while other so called favourites were sliding down the ladder & others were building but not yet ready to strike for a flag.

We lost the 2014 flag to the Hawks because our youngest & less experienced players weren't quite ready for the big time compared to the Hawks youngsters.

This won't stop us getting to where we need to get. Players that want out will want out. Mal left because he obviously didn't have that burning desire to strike for another p'ship. The extra year & security is only fantastic when you have a p'ship under your belt.
Good luck to him.
Josh Kennedy loves our club. You can tell by the way he speaks about us after each B & F. He feels indebted to the club for giving him the opportunity. He still has the hunger. Look at the ROK B & F speech. The guy is devastated that he can't keep playing but I'm sure as time goes by, he will realise just how loved he was by us & most importantly, how much he loves the club for giving him the opportunity to be the legend of an AFL club that he is.

We are a much stronger club behind closed doors than we have ever been, so much so that it rubs off on players that have had big careers elsewhere.
Buddy comes to mind. By the time Buddy is finished, I have no doubt that when he is a 50YO, he will reflect on his time as a Swan as more satisfying than his time as a Hawk. That is how much I believe in the culture of our club & we will continue to make the Sydney Swans a destination club for those players that may be very talented, but that just want a stable & consistent lifestyle away from footy.

Let's just tap into our strengths & stop worrying about cutting our Foxtel subscription or cutting this or that to punish the AFL.

Go the Bloods!

Post of the week :thumbsu:

Good luck to him.

Go the Bloods!

love you mate (man hug and all that), but what's that saying? "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

Is it really that entrenched in our psyche that we just roll over again and follow a competition that is rife with corruption. The AFL isn't the game. The game is football and there are plenty of ways to follow football without being part of and supporting a corrupt organisation.

South were pioneers in taking the game to the other half of the country whether by design or having no choice. Fitzroy followed many years latter. Both were broke clubs and used by the organisation to expand the game. Both had short periods of success which resulted in unprecedented vitriol from club officials and backed by a silent administration.

I applaud anyone taking a stance against the corporates who fund this competition. As has been said on this board, they are not bandwagons, they are genuine supporters who are hurting.

Sydney Swans were effectively banned from trading this year. That is now over. Trading is a key plank for clubs to evolve. Sydney Swans were banned for following the rules. Banned from trading for following the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go the Bloods!

I love your post but disagree with the lines in bold. Many of us are angry and want to do whatever we can rather than accepting that our wonderful club culture will shine through. When a bully hits you you hit back, even if you don't have a chance you make them think twice about doing it again. You make them realise you're not a punching bag and there is a price, however small, to pay for their actions.

At least we can agree that boycotting GWS games is a good start.

If you want to cut foxtel or piss on a toyota or not go to a game good luck

Apart from making you feel good it wont do well

Im not writing to anyone, singing any petition, boycotting games or cutting foxtel

Wont buy a toyota as i was not anyway but if i get a good deal then i will

I think the trade ban was stuffed but i still want to watch as much footy as possible and i am sorry but i think doing any of the above is useless

May as well go out and do a rain dance to make it rain on gil or the commission will have as much impact

My advice is put the pitchfork down and enjoy the game

Not saying its not fecked up but oh well move on

Im not writing to anyone, singing any petition, boycotting games or cutting foxtel

I think the trade ban was stuffed but i still want to watch as much footy as possible and i am sorry but i think doing any of the above is useless

May as well go out and do a rain dance to make it rain on gil or the commission will have as much impact

I'm in the same boat. No point in it. Besides, Sydney games were the most watched Fox games. We don't want to lose that

I love your post but disagree with the lines in bold. Many of us are angry and want to do whatever we can rather than accepting that our wonderful club culture will shine through. When a bully hits you you hit back, even if you don't have a chance you make them think twice about doing it again. You make them realise you're not a punching bag and there is a price, however small, to pay for their actions.

At least we can agree that boycotting GWS games is a good start.

Yeah you could do that.

But I would rather get one of those Sydney Swans stickers we get with our m'ship every year & stick it over their eyebrows & let it rip......................face brazilian I think you can call it.

At least when you send your foxtel box back folks, make sure you stick a Swans m'ship sticker on it. That may help them get the message.

I'm in the same boat. No point in it. Besides, Sydney games were the most watched Fox games. We don't want to lose that

No.
Easier for me because I detest Murdoch and his bottom feeding family, hacking, political interference and everything about him. I see the Swans games, watch them on FTA (along with best games of the round) - don't need that @rsehole Murdoch's rubbish in my house.

But - to cancel Foxtel, thousands of Swans fans, with Swans stickers and a detailed letter is affirmative action at its best. When the AFL back down, which they will (because cowards ultimately do), then you can resubscribe to Fuxtel and probably get a great new "joining" deal.

And - I am loving that non-Swans people might finally realise that the AFL are no friends of Sydney. The vampires have been exposed - and the boys will be angry next year. Much to look forward to.

Couldn't have said it any better mate Go the Bloods, we will be back, make no mistake F them all

That is exactly what the AFL is expecting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back