Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
"McLachlan also predicted the rivalry between Sydney and relative newcomers Greater Western Sydney would escalate quickly to the benefit of fans and the sport as a whole."

Manufacture the rivalry by penalising the Swans and taking them down a few notches to GWS level. GWS still haven't signed a raft of their younger players beyond 2015. The Vic clubs will line up to pinch them and then what does the AFL do? Ban teams from trading with the Giants?

If you end up with two weak Sydney teams it will impact this...
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-27/tv-rights-talks-loom

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyways that article reinforces a few things for me.

1) How greatly we pissed the AFL off by stealing Franklin from GWS is no exaggeration "he was meant to go to GWS" we are now paying a price for this.
2) Gill has no ******* idea the challenge of growing another club in Sydney and thinks "GWS rivarly" will just happen.

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyways that article reinforces a few things for me.

1) How greatly we pissed the AFL off by stealing Franklin from GWS is no exaggeration "he was meant to go to GWS" we are now paying a price for this.
2) Gill has no ******* idea the challenge of growing another club in Sydney and thinks "GWS rivarly" will just happen.

There was a salary cap - and it wasn't breached. Long term deals are obviously OK because the AFL are happy with the 7 year Boyd deal.

We have to take legal action. Otherwise, we will face continuous derailment by the AFL. How else do we make a stand?

Leg End

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Class action by Swans fans and Swans members, properly funded.
Club does not have to be associated - but this will ensure proper exposure and the media would have a field day.

Count Dooku

Team Captain
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
GWS is simply a counterweight to de risk the AFL from Sydney Swans as an emerging power in Australia's biggest corporate spend market. Hard to have National brand advertising without Sydney. Our strategic response should be simple and effective: Boycott GWS v Swans games. If AFL want rivalry, lets give them empty stadiums and crap TV ratings in Sydney.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
GWS is simply a counterweight to de risk the AFL from Sydney Swans as an emerging power in Australia's biggest corporate spend market. Hard to have National brand advertising without Sydney. Our strategic response should be simple and effective: Boycott GWS v Swans games. If AFL want rivalry, lets give them empty stadiums and crap TV ratings in Sydney.

AFL have already rescheduled our usual opening clash to 3rd round and made it a Swans home game. Thereby removing any embarrassment of a attempted boycott of Giants v Swans, they're hoping we'll have all cooled off later in the season.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Jack2Jack

Club Legend
May 3, 2011
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Lol Gill, what a weak spineless simpleton. Clearly is out of his depth running the competition (and not just from this decision) and clearly doesn't have any idea how to grow the game in NSW. Failed to address the main argument people are talking about with not being able to replace people like Goodes, Shaw, Richards at the end of next year.
He's hiding behind statements like 'Can't have everything' & 'Hard phasing COLA out'. It was all ready being phased out, the ban is the decision of out-right morons who don't know how to run a completion properly.

Better off saying nothing, these weak as piss comments made things worse imo, showed exactly what we all probably already knew about Gill. It's a total 'boys club' down there at AFL HQ.

Also how many f***ing times do we have to tell these idiots we are NOT the East Sydney Swans, there is no east v west rivalry, just because they shoved GWS into the comp doesn't mean our identity changes. Really getting annoyed with GWS & Journos making ignorant garbage statements on this subject, but the guy running the comp can't get it right what hope does anyone else have.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Ladies and gentlemen, i give you our AFL CEO, Gillon McLachlan. The Ken Doll of CEO's. Nothing between the ears and no balls to speak of.

Gill.png

Tuco

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Sep 28, 2005
Between ANZ & the SCG
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Bloods
AFL have already rescheduled our usual opening clash to 3rd round and made it a Swans home game. Thereby removing any embarrassment of a attempted boycott of Giants v Swans, they're hoping we'll have all cooled off later in the season.

They can only dream I will forget the disgusting way the AFL has treated its supporters in NSW.
I still feel violated. Good luck getting me to a gws fixture this side of the rest of
the decade.

And there is even less chance I'll forgive.

I've attended between 3 and 5 away games a year on and off for 10 years now. And I've flown everywhere the AFL put us. Launceston. Manuka. Wellington. No more. I will not be going to any next year if this ban holds.

For the CEO to state the trading ban was a deliberate move to hamstring us for no reason other than to appease stakeholder anger at our club's success. Wow..

It's akin to a rapist saying the victim deserved it for looking pretty.

That is just a horrid policy and is only possible under a corrupt, and unrepresentative executive body.

Scum.

nottenthagain

All Australian
Oct 11, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
I like this comment most of all....

"Clubs from the east and west fighting for bragging rights in front of packed stadiums across the city."

Nice one Polo..... If the Swans fans didn't turn up there'd be 17 supporters, 4 dogs, a cat and countless cobwebs in that 'packed stadium' you talk of. And to add to that GWS don't even bother playing in Western Sydney anymore, so you can hardly say across the city either.

There's a reason GWS is known as the "Great Waste of Space' and no amount of tampering with the Swans will make a meaningful rivalry

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Its an absolute bulls//t decision. As far as I can see they want the swans up in the top 4 to keep nsw ticking over but they dont want us to win a flag. If we didnt have the money for mal then I would suggest the only players we would have been after would be guys like patful, hardly a marquee signing but one that could make a huge difference to us.

Its not like next year we'll be targetting dangerfield.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
If rolling over and accepting this will let us get both Mills and Dunkley, then don't challenge it. Otherwise **** them

Pretty much this. I suspect this is the purpose of meeting with the Commission so we can find out exactly where we stand with them.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
What kind of competition are we running if we have to accept a "trade ban" in order to not be screwed over selecting 2 academy players?

This gets more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that but I was just looking at things from a pragmatic perspective, as we have to play by their rules no matter how ridiculous they might be. If we don't get at least something out of the meeting I'm all for challenging the ban.

What kind of competition are we running if we have to accept a "trade ban" in order to not be screwed over selecting 2 academy players?

This gets more and more ridiculous as time goes on.

image.jpg

I'm 100% in agreement with you on that but I was just looking at things from a pragmatic perspective, as we have to play by their rules no matter how ridiculous they might be. If we don't get at least something out of the meeting I'm all for challenging the ban.

As soon as we get our hands on dunkley and mills i say we sue

Back