Mega Thread AFL: No Trades (READ OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way I can get that answer mathematically is if COLA was paid at a flat sum of money for each listed and rookied player (9.8% of the total salary cap split 40+ ways would be around 20k per player). Which would actually be a fairer way of distribution (those most in need get the largest proportional share).

Pretty sure this has been discussed before (many, many times...), every player gets the 9.8% added to their contract.

The reason why Buddy and Tippett get less is because COLA doesn't apply to their entire contract. For instance I believe ASAs are counted in a different part of the salary cap and don't have COLA added to them. This is what we've been trying to explain to everyone on the main board and in the broader AFL community for the past 2 years :p

Pretty sure this has been discussed before (many, many times...), every player gets the 9.8% added to their contract.

The reason why Buddy and Tippett get less is because COLA doesn't apply to their entire contract. For instance I believe ASAs are counted in a different part of the salary cap and don't have COLA added to them. This is what we've been trying to explain to everyone on the main board and in the broader AFL community for the past 2 years :p

Try try try but people only hear what they want to hear.

So buddy's contract is mostly (more than half) outside salary cap then? This is based on the published figures of I think 700k (which appeared when he signed), for his cola put together with tippett to be 40k implies most is ASA and not cola applicable (but my understanding is ASA is outside cap)

Damage has been done perception wise and this is why COLA had to go.

Similar thing to the priority pick perception was teams were tanking so it had to go.

No.
Decisions should be made on reality - not perception.
This means our future hinges on whether the management and fans of opposition, incompetently run clubs are correct with their biased speculation on why Swans have performed so well for so long.

Could work in your favour, apply pressure to poloman and he may crack.
Hardly going to happen he's got the big vic teams in his ear. if he wasn't so spineless and susceptible to outside pressure, then he'd make a decent administrator. I see his tenure as... short and unwelcome.

So buddy's contract is mostly (more than half) outside salary cap then? This is based on the published figures of I think 700k (which appeared when he signed), for his cola put together with tippett to be 40k implies most is ASA and not cola applicable (but my understanding is ASA is outside cap)

His contract is not, like a lot of them, necessarily evenly paid year on year.

You have heard of front/end loading whereby players get paid different amounts year on year to ease salary cap issues. I am assuming (and the info is probably somewhere) that Buddys deal is backended to hell and we will pay a higher proportion of it in the final years than at the start.

Lots of words to say you really can't tell if he is getting 1/9th of his contract this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im pretty sure its actually middle loaded. We will be paying him most of his contract in years 3-5 so if he retires early we dont get stuck paying 1.5mil to someone not on the list.
The money still counts against our salary cap.

All clubs have set ASA limits outside of the TPP. It's all set out in the CBA.

Now there are third party agreements which everyone has heard of. These are ASAs. Buddy has none in his contract, though. It was one of the first things the AFL was looking for in their witch hunt for excuses to ban the deal.

However, there are also allowances for Marketing which all clubs have - and these fall into the same category as ASAs. Ie: Not in the TPP and NOT included in COLa calculations.

But I believe they are included in the same ASA cap limits all clubs have.

But yeah, try explaining that to an internet troll who can barely spell. :p

As long as we can get a decent KPD in this years draft, i don't give a rat's what the afl did. May work in our favour in the end, helping us keep everybody instead of some big name signing(Frawley). If we can get Mills and Dunkley under the current rules, who needs to sign anybody?We do need X or Aliir to come on though, and a healthy AJ would be a cherry on top. I'm still outraged mind you about polo mans spineless kowtowing to Eddie, sorry, Fat Eddie.

St Kilda will win a flag before GWS do. And I don't think I will live to see either (I'm 37 and in good health)

irreverent if they do or don't. The point being clubs that are run by proxy AFL cronies calling the shots, (like the Swans in late 80's and early 90's), are bound to fail where it counts - paying supporters.

I can see Buddy playing to 32, minimum, so that's 3.9M to be paid out if cannot pull a boot on from 2020 onwards . Estimate he would've generated an extra 1M to the Swans in 2014 - that leaves 2.9M to go (2015-2019).
Barring injury, and that can never be factored in, even if he was playing for Tasmania or Sydney, the sums don't look to bad. Whats Boyd on 6m for 6 years after 9 games.......mmmm???

I can see Buddy playing to 32, minimum, so that's 3.9M to be paid out if cannot pull a boot on from 2020 onwards . Estimate he would've generated an extra 1M to the Swans in 2014 - that leaves 2.9M to go (2015-2019).
Barring injury, and that can never be factored in, even if he was playing for Tasmania or Sydney, the sums don't look to bad. Whats Boyd on 6m for 6 years after 9 games.......mmmm???

With the knee treatments Goodes/Shaw have gotten i can see Buddy playing out his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back