Official - Crows v Cats abandoned, points split, rest to go ahead, all brownlow votes will count

What would be your preference on the possible options available to the clubs, players and league

• Play as per schedule, the show must go on

Votes: 118 21.2%
  • Adelaide v Geelong abandoned and called draw

Votes: 242 43.5%
  • Adelaide v Geelong rescheduled

Votes: 107 19.2%
  • Matches played by no result record for round

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Rd 14 rescheduled completely

Votes: 39 7.0%
  • other

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • Adelaide forfeit

Votes: 22 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Please note the main Phil Walsh thread is here and this thread exists solely to keep this discussion out of that thread. I wish it were possible to go a couple of hours without it, but apparently people just cant wait. Please try to show some respect.

Jon Ralph ‏@RalphyHeraldSun 6m6 minutes ago
The AFL will await discussions with the Crows about what to do with Sunday's game, which surely must be postponed. There are in Crows hands

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-03/live-gillon-mclachlan-to-face-the-media-at-145pm-aest

ADELAIDE'S home game against Geelong on Sunday has been abandoned in the wake of the death of Crows coach Phil Walsh, but the rest of round 14 will go ahead.

The AFL has confirmed the Crows-Cats contest at Adelaide Oval will not be played following Walsh's tragic death on Friday morning.

The teams will share two points each from the abandoned match – the same as for a draw.

However, the remainder of the current round – which started with the Sydney Swans' 10-point win over Port Adelaide at the SCG on Thursday night – will be played as scheduled.

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane now18 seconds ago
  • Pre-Game Players, Officials, Umpires - black armbands. Min. silence, video tribute atgames. Club match day activities will not proceed.
  • Breaks - Regular in-match club activities at 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 time will not proceed. Auskick will proceed as usual.
  • Post-Match - The winning theme song will not be played in venue post game. Scheduled post-match club activities will not proceed.

Last edited:
Personally, I would understand if all matches are called off and last night's match was annulled.

I would also understand if the Adelaide players wanted to go on and play to honour Phil.

I'd like to think that we would leave this up to them and whatever they want to do, we will follow.

Quite a problem given the round has started.

Could the rest of the games be postponed for the week?

It's an unprecedented situation for the afl. After Phil Hughes passed away, the Sheffield games that round were cancelled or postponed from memory. Perhaps the afl can do similarly?

Sadly, given the proximity to the round it's not too soon. They simply need to happen now so everyone knows what to do.

I say ask Tex Walker and the players. If they want to play, the game goes on. If they don't, null last night and cancel the round.

Even if the other 7 games went ahead I guarantee they'd be the worst games you'll ever see. They'll feel so hollow and irrelevant.

They could postpone this game until after Round 23 (similar to the EPL) and delay finals for a week if the Adelaide players are not up to it this week. Therefore, neither miss out on any points from this match. That does mean that Adelaide and Geelong don't play this week, but I don't think opposition teams would complain about that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it should be completely up to the Crows, as an organisation and a playing group. (And even then, no player should be pressured to play if they aren't feeling ready).

Pretty much this. But it would be weird playing for or supporting Geelong if the match went ahead aswell. Would be emotionally pretty rough beating a team that's just had this tragedy fall on them.

The AFL is a billion dollar industry led by grown ups who are serious decision makers, they should absolutely not be publicly handing the decision over to the players.
So if the players don't want to play, and the AFL wants them to, what do you propose exactly?

Please note the main Phil Walsh thread is here and this thread exists solely to keep this discussion out of that thread. I wish it were possible to go a couple of hours without it, but apparently people just cant wait. Please try to show some respect.

People just can't wait, including the germ that tweeted that.

Agree, not even sure why thread is required. Who cares

They could postpone this game until after Round 23 (similar to the EPL) and delay finals for a week. Therefore, neither miss out on any points. That does mean that Adelaide and Geelong don't play this week, but I don't think opposition teams would complain about that
Would be grossly unfair if one/both of the Cats and Crows made the finals. Every other side would've had a week off before finals.

Back