AFL players' average salaries now top $300k - four now in million dollar club

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-12/afl-players-average-salaries-top-300k-for-the-first-time

Of particular interest:

AFL.com.au believes Gold Coast captain Gary Ablett and West Coast ruckman Nic Naitanui were among the top four best-paid players in the AFL last season.

It is harder to identify 2015's remaining millionaires.

Industry sources nominated Scott Pendlebury, Jobe Watson, Marc Murphy and Dayne Beams as possible candidates, but said the 2015 component of their contracts would have to have been heavily loaded to take their salary into seven figures.

and:

As recently as 1995, no player earned more than $300,000.

Thoughts on the ever-increasing money flowing into the game and into players' pockets?

Considering the huge increase in advertising revenue over that time its only natural the players would demand a share of that increase. Same thing is happening in most professional leagues around the world.

Rightly or wrongly i suspect Thomas might be the highest paid ...
According to reports Carlton did pay 100% of their cap last year with the likes of Warnock getting 400k doing nothing.

Wouldn't surprise me if Murphy was up there however.

The games revenue is increasing year after year OP, TV rights and advertising is huge now, with them using the football product to help get them more exposure which puts more dollars into the hierarchies.

Sorry , was just referring to Carlton .
Isn't Boyd on a big quid at the Dog's ?

They have a lot of star youngsters to pay (the oldies tend to front-load), I imagine Boyd is having to share much of the Dogs' salary cap with Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore etc.

This year he is

If so, other clubs might be circling since if your young guns develop as expected there'll be loads of salary cap pressure. I don't think M Boyd and Murphy will have been on too much coin when they call it a day within the next year or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did Fyfe last sign a deal. You wouldn't think Freo have too many other really big earners when you think Pav and Sandi are coming down the other side.

Middle of 2014. Wasn't a million dollar player then. He will be soon enough though.

If so, other clubs might be circling since if your young guns develop as expected there'll be loads of salary cap pressure. I don't think M Boyd and Murphy will have been on too much coin when they call it a day within the next year or so.
Everyone important to us re-signed since Judas Griffen walked except Talia.

All our young guns pledged commitment to the club long-term last year, we don't have a huge amount of older/right age players on big cash sucking the cap dry also, just our veterans and say Wood, Crameri, Suckling etc. That was an issue when we lost Ward though, Cooney, Judas, Higgins and many others were on good coin and we could never compere with GWSs offer.

Don't want to have a long winded post about it, but we were telling these things to Melbourne posters over the whole Hogan/Boyd rivalry that went on the Bay and Main Board at times last year.

Brendan McCartney did a lot of good things while he was with us setting us up better off field, we were a rabble under Eade/Fantasia/Smorgon at times (a reason why Ward wasn't tied up imo). Whoever lured Jason McCartney to the club to manage our list has been one of the best decisions we've made recently imo. The bad eggs are gone and we have guys who want to play and succeed for us these days.

Hopefully, just hope SOS doesn't turn you guys into a recycling bin for the Giants though, that would be my only concern long-term.

Yeah but where to start ?
The place was a shambles and we even had players throwing in the towel .
Most supporters are rapt with the start Silvagni has made ... Rome wasn't built in a day .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back