AFL rivals run out of patience with Essendon as saga drags on

Remove this Banner Ad

THE THIN MAN

🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆🏆
Jan 7, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Essendon has lost the support of the other 17 AFL clubs over its handling of its drugs investigation.

AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick averted a potentially bitter confrontation between Essendon chairman Paul Little and the other club chiefs when he agreed instead to communicate the clubs' anger with Essendon to Little privately after the meeting of all clubs at Crown ahead of the Brownlow.

This development came as the AFL Players Association insisted the 34 players issued with show-cause notices remained united in fighting their charges and, having not seen the evidence against them, would not entertain a deal that would require them to admit guilt.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...ssendon-as-saga-drags-on-20140922-10kj0r.html

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Would have been an interesting discussion. I wonder who the seven clubs were?

"Another club president, who did not want to be named, said club presidents agreed there were three issues now confronting the league out of the Essendon saga: what would happen to the players; the impact on the integrity of the game and the costs to the game; and the impact on the survival of Essendon."

Hmm, 50% of the damage to the AFL brand was caused by Easendon. There may be hope of some justice if the AFL start to realise this is costing them serious dollars.

I shall now await the barrage of cultists scoffing at the idea that footy fans not on Big Footy actually care about Essendon dragging the game through the mud.

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hmm, 50% of the damage to the AFL brand was caused by Easendon. There may be hope of some justice if the AFL start to realise this is costing them serious dollars.

I shall now await the barrage of cultists scoffing at the idea that footy fans not on Big Footy actually care about Essendon dragging the game through the mud.

I don't know how you would possibly collect valid data on this, but I am certainly surprised it isn't the headline anyway.

'Clubs run out of patience with Essendon' vs 'McLachlan: Essendon ruining AFL brand '.

I'm not saying that the second headline is fair, but someone is asleep at wheel at Fairfax.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Not surprised that the other clubs have made clear their opposition to EFC and Hird continuing the legal writhing. I hope my club joined in and that like last year, it helps the EFC and Hird see reason.

But it says something about the state of the "AFL brand" that my first thought after reading about Gillon's presentation was how much the bastards would love having something else to blame for fan disenchantment, pushing costs and fixture and everything else that's been bothering us for much longer back to the second row of issues they need to even talk about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HoopsAhoy

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Time for ASADA to just throw everything at the players now too - no deals, no discounts for admissions or co-operation, no plea bargaining. Duped or not - players are clearly choosing to keep drinking the koolaid. ASADA should now clearly rule out the "six month deal" option and sheet that home to the AFL Players Association.

"Contrary to media reports and speculation, the players remain steadfast in their position that they are not looking to resolve this matter through a 'deal' with ASADA."

Those issued with show-cause notices are waiting for the 10-day deadline to be activated before responding. Fairfax Media has reported that players could negotiate around a potential six-month ban, with only a handful of home-and-away games missed, depending on what evidence is gathered.

"Players continue to take the view that they have done nothing wrong and, despite numerous requests, players have not been provided with any evidence to suggest otherwise," Marsh said.

"This matter has already severely disrupted two AFL seasons and taken an enormous toll on the players involved.
[EDIT: Actually at least three seasons now - 2012, 2013, 2014 and counting.]

"As such, the players want this matter to proceed as soon as possible. For this to happen, ASADA needs to provide the evidence it has and we call on them to do so urgently."

From: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-rivals-run-out-of-patience-with-essendon-as-saga-drags-on-20140922-10kj0r.html

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Time for ASADA to just throw everything at the players now too - no deals, no discounts for admissions or co-operation, no plea bargaining. Duped or not - players are clearly choosing to keep drinking the koolaid. ASADA should now clearly rule out the "six month deal" option and sheet that home to the AFL Players Association.
yeah exactly! It's outrageous. Why in gods name are they still going to offer a deal??!!!!!!

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
How can you lose something that you've never had?
Remeber that funny joke Little made last year that said they will challenge the AFL penalties and they had majority of the footy public support.

Only to be told within 24 hours, to go and get effed.

PrideOf

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 17, 2001
Here, obviously
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AFC
I think it is time the AFL put steps in place to cut loose Essendon Football Club.
Not gonna happen. The one thing saving Essendon is the TV deal. If there was another option, the AFL would threaten to deregister the Bombers for 12 months and replace them with the team from Tassie, Darwin or FNQ. But these options aren't viable.

Feb 9, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not gonna happen. The one thing saving Essendon is the TV deal. If there was another option, the AFL would threaten to deregister the Bombers for 12 months and replace them with the team from Tassie, Darwin or FNQ. But these options aren't viable.
I understand your reasoning, but the AFL TV deal won't withstand any significant damage to the brand. The AFL and TV networks will be quick to protect the value of their investment. They know it would devalue very quickly if this thing continues for much longer. There will be intense pressure on EFC to do the right thing in the eyes of the public. If they dig their heals in then the TV deal may actually work against them, not for them.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears

"Players continue to take the view that they have done nothing wrong and, despite numerous requests, players have not been provided with any evidence to suggest otherwise," Marsh said.

I'd previously felt somewhat bad for the players. But now, * em. Hope they all get 2 years.

onemancyclone

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
WADA
I'd previously felt somewhat bad for the players. But now, **** em. Hope they all get 2 years.
They pretty much burned up all their capital with the public by allowing Little to run their offense and claim it's out of their hands by then hiding behind the AFLPA. At all steps they've found another party to take the blame, they've been caught in situ creating paper trails instead of exercising due dilligence. Then there's just the added layer of manipulation and specified targeting of media messages - whether it be mcveigh's defamation of kyle reimers, or choir boy jobe's big puppy dog eyes 'on the couch.' These guys lost me a long time ago.

2 years or a-league for me.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
I understand your reasoning, but the AFL TV deal won't withstand any significant damage to the brand. The AFL and TV networks will be quick to protect the value of their investment. They know it would devalue very quickly if this thing continues for much longer. There will be intense pressure on EFC to do the right thing in the eyes of the public. If they dig their heals in then the TV deal may actually work against them, not for them.

Lawl

Keep em coming

Remove this Banner Ad

Back